Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi / AAdvantage Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator Red MasterCard (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator Silver MasterCard (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator Business MasterCard (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi / AAdvantage MileUp℠ card
  • Citi / AAdvantage Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Select Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator Blue MasterCard (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator MasterCard (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by deadmoneywalking
Me again. I wanted to ask if anyone had a hot take on Citi vs Barclays for my 1st time AAdvantage card appllcation. I'm a small time flyer about 5 times a year around the West Coast cities and really just would like the occasional free ticket or waived baggage fee. I do own a small business of around $3k in sales volume so I could apply for the business card. There's a piece of furniture I'd like to buy soon and feel that I am getting some benefit. Thx in advance.
Current Barclay signup bonus is around 50k miles, while current Citi personal bonus is only around 30k miles. Business Citi platinum bonus is 60k right now.

Both Citi cards have the annual fee waived first year, barclay does not. However, the barclay can be used to earn 3000 extra EQD if you put $25k of spend on it in the calendar year. If you find yourself needing extra EQDs to make the next level of status that might make the difference for you.

I currently have both personal cards, since I got the elevated 60k signup bonus for both cards this summer.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MathMusic
Current Barclay signup bonus is around 50k miles, while current Citi personal bonus is only around 30k miles.
There's a live public application link for a 60K personal offer in the wiki for the master Citi AA thread. I checked it five minutes ago.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:42 pm

Thanks guys, I think I'll be looking into Citi.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:52 am

Total newbie question: how specifically do I get the free bag credit?

A few years ago I had a credit card with this benefit. I made a reservation with the airline frequent traveler number associated with the card. I show up at the check-in counter with my bag. The agent says that will be $25. I tell them that this free on my credit card. Agent says I do not know anything about that. $25 or you are SOL. So I paid off.

What did I do wrong?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by herx
Total newbie question: how specifically do I get the free bag credit?

A few years ago I had a credit card with this benefit. I made a reservation with the airline frequent traveler number associated with the card. I show up at the check-in counter with my bag. The agent says that will be $25. I tell them that this free on my credit card. Agent says I do not know anything about that. $25 or you are SOL. So I paid off.

What did I do wrong?
On AA.com, under your FF#, you should see "Citi AAdvantage Cardholder" or "Barclays Aviator Cardholder" as appropriate.
This must be associated with your FF# (And your FF# with your ticket) 7 days prior to travel.
You do NOT need to pay with your AA card.
(See FAQ #1 in the Wiki)

If you met the above criteria, all I can say is, HUCA exists IRL as well.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by zhangg
On AA.com, under your FF#, you should see "Citi AAdvantage Cardholder" or "Barclays Aviator Cardholder" as appropriate.
This must be associated with your FF# (And your FF# with your ticket) 7 days prior to travel.
You do NOT need to pay with your AA card.
(See FAQ #1 in the Wiki)

If you met the above criteria, all I can say is, HUCA exists IRL as well.
Interesting. When I log in to AA.com, I do not see either "Citi AAdvantage Cardholder" or "Barclays Aviator Cardholder" (I have both) under Myaccount.

But when I log in to my credit card account on citi.com, then click on use miles, it takes me to the AA.com website and I do see AAdvantage cardmember under my account number.

Next time I make a reservation, I will try to pre-pay the baggage check fee to see how that goes. Once I am at the airport with my non-carryon bag they have me at their mercy.

Last edited by herx; Apr 8, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by herx
Interesting. When I log in to AA.com, I do not see either "Citi AAdvantage Cardholder" or "Barclays Aviator Cardholder" (I have both) under Myaccount.

But when I log in to my credit card account on citi.com, then click on use miles, it takes me to the AA.com website and I do see AAdvantage cardmember under my account number.

Next time I make a reservation, I will try to pre-pay the baggage check fee to see how that goes. Once I am at the airport with my non-carryon bag they have me at their mercy.
Perhaps you might be better served by contacting AAdvantage Customer Service and explaining that the cards do not appear to be linked to your AAdvantage number as shown by the absence of such on the AA.com home page after you sign in. Then perhaps you won't have to guess or play around with it on your next trip.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:20 pm
AOH

I am flying to Hawaii from the east coast next month and I have the Barclays Aviator Red. Can I still get the free checked bag if I credit miles to BA Executive club? I'd receive too few miles based on the purchase price, so I'd hate to credit to AA. I checked the last few pages of this thread and didn't find anything that addresses this. Thanks in advance!
Old May 2, 2018, 8:59 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
I assume this is a domestic US only benefit (ie 50 states +/- Puerto Rico)? Or do they have some interesting/unexpected exceptions?

I am flying out of LIR (Liberia, Costa Rica), will credit AS unless aviator happens to give free baggage. Hoping someone can confirm one way or another...
Old May 3, 2018, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
I assume this is a domestic US only benefit
Yes. See the wiki for details; the rules consistently refer to domestic flights/itineraries.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:27 am
AOH

Originally Posted by AOH
I am flying to Hawaii from the east coast next month and I have the Barclays Aviator Red. Can I still get the free checked bag if I credit miles to BA Executive club? I'd receive too few miles based on the purchase price, so I'd hate to credit to AA. I checked the last few pages of this thread and didn't find anything that addresses this. Thanks in advance!
Leaving tomorrow- does anyone have experience with this?
Old May 9, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: MileagePlus,AAdvantage,Skymiles
technically not...if you are the primary account holder of the aviator card your AA FF# needs to be in you PNR at the time of check in...you can then proceed to the gate or call before you board and say I need to credit to BA which most likley will work majority of the time
Old May 9, 2018, 3:11 pm
AOH

Originally Posted by ordsky
technically not...if you are the primary account holder of the aviator card your AA FF# needs to be in you PNR at the time of check in...you can then proceed to the gate or call before you board and say I need to credit to BA which most likley will work majority of the time
Thank you very much. I called and, indeed, they said that my FF# must be added. I will try to make the change at the airport once I'm checked in and the luggage is checked.
Thanks again!
Old May 25, 2018, 12:36 pm

I booked my flight to Hawaii using my British Avios this past monday, and we are departing tomorrow, Saturday. I called yesterday to update my reservation to include my AAdvantage number. I have the Barclays card, and my Aadvantage account online shows that I am an Aviator member.

The CSR confirmed that I have a free bag allowance for my flight tomorrow, but I'm not sure. I even called again and got a different CSR who confirmed the same thing. The both said they can see a banner on my itinerary that shows I have a preferred credit card, and when clicking through on bag allowance, it shows one free bag. The reason I'm not sure is because it does not jive with the 7 day rule that is noted in this thread. The flight was booked less than 7 days ago, plus it was originally booked through BA so it did not have my AAdvantage number even at time of booking.

Any thoughts if there will be a problem at the airport checkin with respect to the free bag allowance?
Old May 28, 2018, 3:15 pm

Citicard free domestic checked bag if opening credit AFTER booking trip?

I just booked the following award trip to Hawaii for me and my wife and I'm wondering how many checked bags I'd have to pay for if I got the Citi AA platinum card, assuming I had the card more than 7 days before departure on July 3. I called AA and below is what the rep told me.

My question is: would I actually have to pay to check my bags in LAX on July 4 and LIH on July 15? The overnight layovers weren't my choice, that's just how the flights were arranged. I booked three flights -- ABQ to HNL from July 3-4, HNL to LIH on July 8, and LIH to ABQ on July 15-16. July 4 I could understand since I get the bags and then recheck them, but it seems odd to pay the fee on July 15 since I'm checking in with American.

Also, does it matter if the trip was booked with my wife's AA account/miles but the credit card is in my name? My AA number is on the reservation -- everything shows up when I log into my AA account.

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 to Wednesday, July 4, 2018
3092 American Airlines (Operated by SkyWest Airlines as American Eagle)
7:10 PM ABQ to 8:15 PM LAX (check bags, no fee due to CC, retrieve bags, go to hotel)

1057 Alaska Airlines (check bags, pay fee)
10:05 AM LAX to 12:59 PM HNL

then a connecting flight to Kauai on Hawaiian on July 8 that I'm sure I'll have to pay bag fees on regardless

Sunday, July 15, 2018 to Monday, July 16, 2018
266 American Airlines
4:08 PM LIH to 12:44 AM LAX (check bags, pay fee since Alaska is in the chain regardless of having CC)

6034 American Airlines (Operated by Compass Airlines as American Eagle)
6:30 AM LAX to 7:58 AM SFO (bags are held by airline, don't get them back, don't have to check them again)

3376 Alaska Airlines (Operated by SkyWest Airlines as Alaskaskywest)
11:10 AM SFO to 2:31 PM ABQ (bags are held by airline, don't get them back, don't have to check them again)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.