Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi / AAdvantage Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator Red MasterCard (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator Silver MasterCard (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator Business MasterCard (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi / AAdvantage MileUp℠ card
  • Citi / AAdvantage Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Select Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator Blue MasterCard (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator MasterCard (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:05 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Can you provide the exact wording from the flyer you received so that folks here can better assess the situation?

Cheers.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:13 pm

Did you book the ticket before they added those benefits? I believe it didnt apply to any already made bookings.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:42 pm

Pay for checked baggage with same, and let the Citi sort it out!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
Despite the advertising, the flyer I was mailed, etc. The AA Citi select American express card does not allow for free bags at check in. Had to pay $75
Can you provide some supporting data?

I look at the Citi Select / AAdvantage American Express card "advertising" and I can't find the word "free", nor do I see the word "bag" other than the lost luggage clause.

The Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Visa Signature Credit Card does state that "Your first checked bag is free", but a Visa card is quite different from an AmEx card.

Where does Citi/AA advertise that the AmEx card provides a free bag?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Despite the advertising, the flyer I was mailed, etc. The AA Citi select American express card does not allow for free bags at check in. Had to pay $75 for 3 bags despite following all the rules, card linked to Advantage #, etc.

Can't seem to get anyone to answer why this is. Email to AA was replied with a form response.

Any ideas who to contact?

Thanks
The verification of your benefits can be found in this document

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...e/New/benefits

Note the benefits only apply to bookings after 04/02/2012

It does seem to include the citi "select" AMEX as a free bag card
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
Can you provide some supporting data?

I look at the Citi Select / AAdvantage American Express card "advertising" and I can't find the word "free", nor do I see the word "bag" other than the lost luggage clause.

The Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Visa Signature Credit Card does state that "Your first checked bag is free", but a Visa card is quite different from an AmEx card.

Where does Citi/AA advertise that the AmEx card provides a free bag?
See my post
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Despite the advertising, the flyer I was mailed, etc. The AA Citi select American express card does not allow for free bags at check in. Had to pay $75 for 3 bags despite following all the rules, card linked to Advantage #, etc.

Can't seem to get anyone to answer why this is. Email to AA was replied with a form response.

Thanks
Hope you used the same cc to pay the $75 so you can make a chargeback ! Just tell citi to cover it.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Was this a domestic or international flight? It only applies to domestic.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
Was this a domestic or international flight? It only applies to domestic.
Isn't one bag generally free on most international flights? I don't feel like checking...... since it doesn't apply to me
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by mvoight
Isn't one bag generally free on most international flights? I don't feel like checking...... since it doesn't apply to me
Checking it's basically US and Canada flights that charge for the first bag but the disclaimer is in there .
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:19 pm

Domestic flight. Ticketed 5/5/12. Fees were charged to same card. And yes the card is definitely "linked" to AAdvantage number because the credit card spend and bonus miles have been correctly awarded.

Thanks shadesofgrey1x for finding that link!

- I have the exact same information printed on a bifold card that I received via snailmail.

Will resubmit with the above documentation and dispute with citi next. Thanks all!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:38 pm

B. M.
Customer Relations
aa# xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your prompt reply. However, please READ this before sending back another form letter.

I was charged $75 for 3 bags for PNR: xxxxxx
I understand that that is the normal fee. However, the "ALL NEW TRAVEL BENEFITS" of the AAdvantage Citi family of cards should provide for up to 4 checked bags per reservation.

Please see the following link:

I was also mailed a card with the exact same information and a clear picture of the Citi AA Amex "select" card.

Please credit the $75 charge back to the card ending in xxxx.

Thanks!

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 31, 2012 at 5:44 pm Reason: deleted employee name, per FT TOS
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Couple of clarifying points.

1. How many people traveling with you? Remember it is the first bag for up to four people in a single reservation, not up to four checked bags per reservation.

2. Something I found in the small print:

Eligible Citi / AAdvantage cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection carrier to select domestic destinations
That may be something AA could clarify, you know, what the heck does "select" destinations mean.

Food for thought.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K

Thanks
It seems like you got a deal:

Flights within the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico

$25 for the first checked bag. Exceptions may apply.
$35 for the second checked bag. Exceptions may apply.
$150 for any additional pieces

Should have been $185 for three bags.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...aggage_charges
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

Thank you for your prompt reply. However, please READ this before sending back another form letter.
I particularly like this part, having used almost the same wording on a number of occasions. I've found that the second letter usually gets a real response. Good luck!

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.