Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA.com 24 Hour Cancellation Policy is 24 Hour Hold, DOT OK / 26 Jan 2012
AA has cancelled this policy effective 1 April 2016

See HOLD ticket WILL change 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr hold or / & cancel for current thread.

PREVIOUS POLICY:

AA offers 24 hour "Hold" without payment for new bookings in lieu of 24 hour cancellation; this does meet the USDOT requirements. The hold option is offered when one arrives on the booking payment page next to credit card, etc. options.

● Bookings made within seven days of flight are not required to offer 24 hour cancellation or holds; AA.com does not offer cancellation options in those cases, nor does it do so on partner airline flights. (Still in force.)

When you make a reservation by telephone or via aa.com for American Airlines flights (including American Airlines flights operated by codeshare partners), the reservation can be held and the fare quoted will be guaranteed for 24 hours or until 11:59 p.m. (time zone will be specified) the following day, whichever allows you more time to purchase your ticket. Once payment is received, normal refund policies apply to the ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary, the ticket price may change.

See:

http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/notic...ur-reservation

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/fil...al20130530.pdf

(Award flights on AA can still be held for five days.)

Also see: Extended Hold: Pay to hold reservation longer than 24 hours (consolidated)[/FONT][/COLOR]

AA's Customer Commitment states: "When you make a telephone reservation with American Airlines or when you make a reservation via AA.com, the reservation can be held and the fare quoted will be guaranteed for 24 hours or until 11:59 p.m. Central Time the following day, whichever allows you more time to purchase your ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary within this timeframe, the ticket price may change and once payment is received, normal refund policies apply to the ticket."

Note this foot note on AA.com. * Actual "Hold" period depends on fare rules. Some fares require purchase by a specific time.

In some cases, the 24 hour hold may actually expire in less than 24 hours if ticketing conditions (e.g. advance purchase requirements) supersede the 24 hour period. Nonetheless, as brp states below: "Web Services (800-222-2377) within the 24 hours and they will reinstate the original fare."

24 hour hold is not available for codeshares and partner airlines marketed flights when combined with AA travel, nor to those using discount codes. Nonetheless, under DOT regulations, the airline must allow 24 hour cancellation without fees.

[FONT="Arial"]
Refunds Within 24 Hours of Booking Within 7 Days of Flight No Longer Offered

The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time.
A 24 hour cancellation policy is called for by USDOT regulations. American Airlines currently meets the requirement by offering 24 hour hold.

If one is booking for travel within seven days, there is no "hold" option given during the booking process. Though one may have previously gotten refunded within 24 hours of booking fewer than seven days out by AA, it is not required by USDOT and AA is now denying refunds in these instances as of 12 June 2015. The change was not announced to AA flyers or AAdvantage members.

Per JonNYC below:
Originally Posted by Previous policy
AA offers a full refund without penalty within 24 hours of ticketing that occurs 7 or less days before departure.
This no longer is AA policy; refunds are not allowed within 24 hours of purchase within the 7 day time frame.

Updated 10 Feb 2016
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
I don't know a lot about AA, but I do know on DL if you cancel any ticket within 24 hours, they refund you 100% no change fee. in most cases the charge never even posts to your account. I always thought all airlines do this??
AA offers a free 24-hold on most itineraries so they do not offer a refund option after ticketing.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The FAQ is the place to go; you would then encounter the post that has information and links regarding your question.

Originally Posted by EZETravel
Anyone succeed in canceling a non refundable ticket in the first 24hrs.

I did have changed fare and dates without the penalty but never tried canceling.

I assume if you cancel it you would get a voucher.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:04 pm

As I read it, you can cancel and get a refund within 24 hours of purchase as long as the flight is more than one week away.

If you put your ticket on hold and then purchased, I do not believe you are entitled to a refund.

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2012/dot0812.html

"Also beginning this week, passengers will be able to hold a reservation without payment, OR cancel a booking without penalty, for 24 hours after the reservation is made, if they make the reservation one week or more prior to a flight’s departure date." (emphasis added)
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:07 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
As I read it, you can cancel and get a refund within 24 hours of purchase as long as the flight is more than one week away.

If you put your ticket on hold and then purchased, I do not believe you are entitled to a refund.

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2012/dot0812.html

"Also beginning this week, passengers will be able to hold a reservation without payment, OR cancel a booking without penalty, for 24 hours after the reservation is made, if they make the reservation one week or more prior to a flight’s departure date." (emphasis added)
You did not read it correctly. If the airline gives you the ability to do a 24 hour hold, whether you actually use that or not, they do not have to give refunds after purchase.

Cheers.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by brp
You did not read it correctly. If the airline gives you the ability to do a 24 hour hold, whether you actually use that or not, they do not have to give refunds after purchase.

Cheers.
I wondered about that. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
There is so much confusion here, so hopefully this will clarify.

The DOT gives airlines and booking agents two options to comply with the new regulations. Airlines are free to choose either of them.
(1) 24 hour cancellation and refund payment -OR- (2) 24 hour hold without payment
For AA only flights, AA.com has chosen (2).

If your AA.com reservation is able to be placed on hold and you ticket it, you are NOT entitled to a refund or change once it has ticketed.

If your AA.com reservation is not able to be placed on hold (itineraries that include non-AA flights or ones with promo codes) you must ticket it immediately to keep the fare. If you made your reservation greater than 7 days in advance, you may cancel the ticket for a refund within 24 hours.

Note the following:
1) Not all AAgents might be aware of this policy. If you encounter one that is not, ask for a supervisor. AA recently sent out a memo to its phone agents regarding this so these instances have reduced.
2) If you used a one time use promo code and you cancel the flight within 24 hours, you lose the value of the promo code.

Of course, as brp stated above, a sympathetic AAgent can let anything happen.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Xero
Note the following:
1) Not all AAgents might be aware of this policy. If you encounter one that is not, ask for a supervisor. AA recently sent out a memo to its phone agents regarding this so these instances have reduced.
Remember this fun exchange?

Originally Posted by sukn
A new reminder memo has gone out so hopefully it will improve things.
Originally Posted by Xero
The memo hasn't done much.

Still, most AAgents say something like "all the fare rules still apply". They are completely clueless about it. I sent a DoT complaint over this.

However, one AAgent suggested to cite the DoT Passenger Bill of Rights 6/14/12 Update to help clueless agents get enlightened.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Remember this fun exchange?
Yeah, but from what I can tell, they are getting better at it.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:55 pm

If the ticket is still in purchase mode (not yet ticketed), you can cancel without penalty.

Once ticketed, the policy does not allow for refunds.

Having said that, I'm sure you will hear from people who were able to get a refund because of a sympathetic agent.
The answer is you can call and even though the ticket has been issued, ask the agent or your TA to *void* the ticket. I am unsure the time threshold, but I have had no problem asking for this even if I bought the ticket in the AM, and by COB I was able to push off the meeting. I have to do this a handfull of times a year and always have no issue.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So if making changes (not just a cancelation) on an award ticket booked from an Executive Platinum account even if the actual passenger is a general member, the EP fee waiver applies? Or does the person have to pay according to their own non-status level?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So if making changes (not just a cancelation) on an award ticket booked from an Executive Platinum account even if the actual passenger is a general member, the EP fee waiver applies? Or does the person have to pay according to their own non-status level?
I believe the fee waiver applies in this case. Even if the passenger is a GM, so long as the origin and destination don't change and the date of travel is more than 21 days out, there are no change fees.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:04 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by clacko
Reinstating Award Tickets - (Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)
I have had to pay fees for canceled awards for me using miles from an EXP.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 6:43 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ffI
If you mean that the EXP used their miles to book you a ticket and then cancelled, this should not have happened. If you mean something else, then I don't know what you're saying.

Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
OP said the miles were from his partner's account, a non-EXP.
The waiver applies if the account the miles are from belongs to an EXP.
The status of the passenger doesn't matter.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ffI
How long ago? I think this changed last year.
If the miles were from an EXP's account, there is currently no charge for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.