Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA.com 24 Hour Cancellation Policy is 24 Hour Hold, DOT OK / 26 Jan 2012
AA has cancelled this policy effective 1 April 2016

See HOLD ticket WILL change 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr hold or / & cancel for current thread.

PREVIOUS POLICY:

AA offers 24 hour "Hold" without payment for new bookings in lieu of 24 hour cancellation; this does meet the USDOT requirements. The hold option is offered when one arrives on the booking payment page next to credit card, etc. options.

● Bookings made within seven days of flight are not required to offer 24 hour cancellation or holds; AA.com does not offer cancellation options in those cases, nor does it do so on partner airline flights. (Still in force.)

When you make a reservation by telephone or via aa.com for American Airlines flights (including American Airlines flights operated by codeshare partners), the reservation can be held and the fare quoted will be guaranteed for 24 hours or until 11:59 p.m. (time zone will be specified) the following day, whichever allows you more time to purchase your ticket. Once payment is received, normal refund policies apply to the ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary, the ticket price may change.

See:

http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/notic...ur-reservation

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/fil...al20130530.pdf

(Award flights on AA can still be held for five days.)

Also see: Extended Hold: Pay to hold reservation longer than 24 hours (consolidated)[/FONT][/COLOR]

AA's Customer Commitment states: "When you make a telephone reservation with American Airlines or when you make a reservation via AA.com, the reservation can be held and the fare quoted will be guaranteed for 24 hours or until 11:59 p.m. Central Time the following day, whichever allows you more time to purchase your ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary within this timeframe, the ticket price may change and once payment is received, normal refund policies apply to the ticket."

Note this foot note on AA.com. * Actual "Hold" period depends on fare rules. Some fares require purchase by a specific time.

In some cases, the 24 hour hold may actually expire in less than 24 hours if ticketing conditions (e.g. advance purchase requirements) supersede the 24 hour period. Nonetheless, as brp states below: "Web Services (800-222-2377) within the 24 hours and they will reinstate the original fare."

24 hour hold is not available for codeshares and partner airlines marketed flights when combined with AA travel, nor to those using discount codes. Nonetheless, under DOT regulations, the airline must allow 24 hour cancellation without fees.

[FONT="Arial"]
Refunds Within 24 Hours of Booking Within 7 Days of Flight No Longer Offered

The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time.
A 24 hour cancellation policy is called for by USDOT regulations. American Airlines currently meets the requirement by offering 24 hour hold.

If one is booking for travel within seven days, there is no "hold" option given during the booking process. Though one may have previously gotten refunded within 24 hours of booking fewer than seven days out by AA, it is not required by USDOT and AA is now denying refunds in these instances as of 12 June 2015. The change was not announced to AA flyers or AAdvantage members.

Per JonNYC below:
Originally Posted by Previous policy
AA offers a full refund without penalty within 24 hours of ticketing that occurs 7 or less days before departure.
This no longer is AA policy; refunds are not allowed within 24 hours of purchase within the 7 day time frame.

Updated 10 Feb 2016
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by prof
Actually I think you have the right to cancel a fare purchased within 24 hours, and receive a full refund, which is another way to "hold" a booking for that period.
I think you are mixing your airlines. AA offers a hold option and therefore does not offer a refund window. Of course, you might be able to get an agent to "fix" an error, but doubt you'll get a refund.

Also note, the "midnight tomorrow" is as of the departure city, so if you are putting one-way tickets on hold, they must be purchased before THAT midnight, and not where you are.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I think you are mixing your airlines. AA offers a hold option and therefore does not offer a refund window. Of course, you might be able to get an agent to "fix" an error, but doubt you'll get a refund.

Also note, the "midnight tomorrow" is as of the departure city, so if you are putting one-way tickets on hold, they must be purchased before THAT midnight, and not where you are.
One of the new federal requirements that went into effect in January requires airlines to offer a 24-hour hold and/or refund regardless of when the fare expires, provided passengers are making a seven-day advance purchase or more. I'd be surprised if AA are violating that.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408

That would be an interesting case. If AA's hold feature does not guarantee to be a minimum of 24 hours, they would have to refund a ticket cancelled within 24 hours.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by prof
Actually I think you have the right to cancel a fare purchased within 24 hours, and receive a full refund, which is another way to "hold" a booking for that period.
Not with AA since it already offers a 24-hold.

However, AA does have an oops rule. Within 24-hours of ticketing, you can make changes to an itinerary without a change fee but you would liable for any fare difference. But AA will not refund a fare after ticketing.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by AndyAA
That would be an interesting case. If AA's hold feature does not guarantee to be a minimum of 24 hours, they would have to refund a ticket cancelled within 24 hours.
It is a bug on aa.com that really needs to be fixed.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:24 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sukn
It is a bug on aa.com that really needs to be fixed.
Incorrect. The fact that they will extend the hold, if called, in violation of their own written policy (posted above) does not mean that the system adhering the the rules is a bug. It just means that they're willing to make this exception when called.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Incorrect. The fact that they will extend the hold, if called, in violation of their own written policy (posted above) does not mean that the system adhering the the rules is a bug. It just means that they're willing to make this exception when called.

Cheers.
AA has a 24-hour fare guarantee that supersedes the website lingo. I think we have had this conversation before. Not to mention, the impact of the aa.com bug means AA would be liable to refund a ticket that didn't offer a hold time of 24-hours.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:46 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA has a 24-hour fare guarantee that supersedes the website lingo. I think we have had this conversation before. Not to mention, the impact of the aa.com bug means AA would be liable to refund a ticket that didn't offer a hold time of 24-hours.
Actually, I believe that that conversation was about fee-free "up-cabining" of awards.

The unpublished rules that you quote aside, it is completely reasonable for their website to function consistently with their published rules. Definitely not a "bug" from any normal definition in the software field. Just because you don't like it, or think it should be otherwise doesn't make it a "bug"

And,yes, holds less than 24 hours would subject them to liability for a refund during the remaining hours.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Actually, I believe that that conversation was about fee-free "up-cabining" of awards.

The unpublished rules that you quote aside, it is completely reasonable for their website to function consistently with their published rules. Definitely not a "bug" from any normal definition in the software field. Just because you don't like it, or think it should be otherwise doesn't make it a "bug"

And,yes, holds less than 24 hours would subject them to liability for a refund during the remaining hours.

Cheers.
The website lingo exists to prevent AA from being liable for aa.com's limitations.

Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree on this matter.

I just think it does not make sense from a business point of view when the same reservation can be made with an agent and it would allow a 24-hour hold, but when using aa.com it may only allow the hold until midnight.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:58 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The website lingo exists to prevent AA from being liable for aa.com's limitations.

Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree on this matter.

I just think it does not make sense from a business point of view when the same reservation can be made with an agent and it would allow a 24-hour hold, but when using aa.com it may only allow the hold until midnight.
From an agent it generally costs $25. From the website, it's free. Makes perfect sense to me.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by brp
From an agent it generally costs $25. From the website, it's free. Makes perfect sense to me.

Cheers.
Did it make sense to you prior to the introduction of the $25 phone ticketing fees?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:01 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did it make sense to you prior to the introduction of the $25 phone ticketing fees?
I didn't know about it then. Maybe it was a "feature" planned in anticipation

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
It has been a few months and I would like to post an update. Unfortunately, AA still does not give a 24 hour cancellation with refund on tickets it does not hold.

For AS flights, even if I lose access to the EXP desk, I now book directly from AlaskaAir.com.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:38 pm

Cancel fee for award ticket canceled within 24 hours

Hello

For a general AAdvantage member, is there a fee for an award reservation cancelled WITHIN 24 hours?

I am Exec Platnium, but my partner has no status.

I booked an award ticket on CX with his mile from his account less than 24 hours ago, and I now would like to cancel.

Is there a $150 or is it waived within 24 hours?

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:58 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TIMOS
Hello

For a general AAdvantage member, is there a fee for an award reservation cancelled WITHIN 24 hours?

I am Exec Platnium, but my partner has no status.

I booked an award ticket on CX with his mile from his account less than 24 hours ago, and I now would like to cancel.

Is there a $150 or is it waived within 24 hours?

Thanks!
the 24 hours has no impact here. If the award was booked with EXP account miles then there is no fee. Otherwise it is $150 for 1st person +$25 for each additional person/ticket to re-deposit the miles.

The only way to avoid this is to just put the award on hold (up to 5 days hold for Awards), as opposed to booking it. Once you book you're locked in to the fees per status of the account from which miles were withdrawn (With only EXP being exempt from re-deposit fees).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.