Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA.com 24 Hour Cancellation Policy is 24 Hour Hold, DOT OK / 26 Jan 2012
AA has cancelled this policy effective 1 April 2016

See HOLD ticket WILL change 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr hold or / & cancel for current thread.

PREVIOUS POLICY:

AA offers 24 hour "Hold" without payment for new bookings in lieu of 24 hour cancellation; this does meet the USDOT requirements. The hold option is offered when one arrives on the booking payment page next to credit card, etc. options.

● Bookings made within seven days of flight are not required to offer 24 hour cancellation or holds; AA.com does not offer cancellation options in those cases, nor does it do so on partner airline flights. (Still in force.)

When you make a reservation by telephone or via aa.com for American Airlines flights (including American Airlines flights operated by codeshare partners), the reservation can be held and the fare quoted will be guaranteed for 24 hours or until 11:59 p.m. (time zone will be specified) the following day, whichever allows you more time to purchase your ticket. Once payment is received, normal refund policies apply to the ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary, the ticket price may change.

See:

http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/notic...ur-reservation

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/fil...al20130530.pdf

(Award flights on AA can still be held for five days.)

Also see: Extended Hold: Pay to hold reservation longer than 24 hours (consolidated)[/FONT][/COLOR]

AA's Customer Commitment states: "When you make a telephone reservation with American Airlines or when you make a reservation via AA.com, the reservation can be held and the fare quoted will be guaranteed for 24 hours or until 11:59 p.m. Central Time the following day, whichever allows you more time to purchase your ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary within this timeframe, the ticket price may change and once payment is received, normal refund policies apply to the ticket."

Note this foot note on AA.com. * Actual "Hold" period depends on fare rules. Some fares require purchase by a specific time.

In some cases, the 24 hour hold may actually expire in less than 24 hours if ticketing conditions (e.g. advance purchase requirements) supersede the 24 hour period. Nonetheless, as brp states below: "Web Services (800-222-2377) within the 24 hours and they will reinstate the original fare."

24 hour hold is not available for codeshares and partner airlines marketed flights when combined with AA travel, nor to those using discount codes. Nonetheless, under DOT regulations, the airline must allow 24 hour cancellation without fees.

[FONT="Arial"]
Refunds Within 24 Hours of Booking Within 7 Days of Flight No Longer Offered

The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time.
A 24 hour cancellation policy is called for by USDOT regulations. American Airlines currently meets the requirement by offering 24 hour hold.

If one is booking for travel within seven days, there is no "hold" option given during the booking process. Though one may have previously gotten refunded within 24 hours of booking fewer than seven days out by AA, it is not required by USDOT and AA is now denying refunds in these instances as of 12 June 2015. The change was not announced to AA flyers or AAdvantage members.

Per JonNYC below:
Originally Posted by Previous policy
AA offers a full refund without penalty within 24 hours of ticketing that occurs 7 or less days before departure.
This no longer is AA policy; refunds are not allowed within 24 hours of purchase within the 7 day time frame.

Updated 10 Feb 2016
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:03 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
In practice it doesn't matter, the rule exists and I have used it many times regardless of the reason.
However, inasmuch as it is an unpublished rule, I would imagine that agents have the discretion to disallow it. Thus, the suggestion to word things carefully is sound.

Cheers.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
In practice it doesn't matter, the rule exists and I have used it many times regardless of the reason.
In practice it DOES matter because this is a public forum for sharing advice and not everyone on this forum is an EXP who gets to speak to very accommodating EXP agents.

Regular and international agents are much more likely to treat non-status passengers differently as far as enforcement of the rules go.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by brp
However, inasmuch as it is an unpublished rule, I would imagine that agents have the discretion to disallow it. Thus, the suggestion to word things carefully is sound.

Cheers.
Excellent point!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by brp
Originally Posted by sukn
In practice it DOES matter because this is a public forum for sharing advice and not everyone on this forum is an EXP who gets to speak to very accommodating EXP agents.

Regular and international agents are much more likely to treat non-status passengers differently as far as enforcement of the rules go.
I would agree that discretion is the better part of valor, but cautious conjecture aside, there is exactly zero evidence that agents have any discretion to disallow such a change. I have done so many times, and many of my professional colleagues with varying levels of status (and non-status) have done so as well. I sincerely doubt that the very small sample size that is FT will do anything to change AA's approach to this policy.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:31 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I sincerely doubt that the very small sample size that is FT will do anything to change AA's approach to this policy.
I believe that you've missed my point. This has nothing to do with FT, except as an information transfer medium. I'm not suggesting that FT will change anything. I am suggesting that this policy is unwritten and that there may be leeway here. In that case, I'm suggesting that "I don't want to take that flight after all, I want to change" may not be the best wording. I have no evidence that it would really matter. Nor do I have evidence that this is a hard-and-fast, unalterable rule. I'd go with the safe approach since no one here knows definitively what "AA's approach to the policy" really is.

Cheers.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:36 pm

I would agree that discretion is the better part of valor, but cautious conjecture aside, there is exactly zero evidence that agents have any discretion to disallow such a change. I have done so many times, and many of my professional colleagues with varying levels of status (and non-status) have done so as well. I sincerely doubt that the very small sample size that is FT will do anything to change AA's approach to this policy.

24 Hour Itinerary Error Change Fee Waiver

Reps have requested the ability to assist customers at the first point of contact who are calling because there is a mistake on their itinerary. This usually happens once the customer receives their ITNR and can be either an AA or customer error. All reps will be allowed to authorize a one-time change fee waiver for customers who claim there is an error in their itinerary.

This applies to customers who advise there is a mistake in their reservation, and call within 24 hours of the first time their PNR is ticketed on the original booking or by 1159pm the following day. Voluntary changes requested by the customer do not qualify for this waiver.
link to source

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 16, 2013 at 11:22 am Reason: add source post of language
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:08 pm

I'll give you an example. Today I booked my SJC-LAX-SJC flight and the later 6:20 PM was more money than the 3:35PM flight at the time of booking. When I went online later today the later flight was at the same cost as my earlier flight. I called AA and was able to get put on the later flight that I originally wanted without the $150 fee. All the agent had to do was call tariff department to do an even exchange. Within 20 minutes I got my reticketed ticket and all is well.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL
I was wondering if there is a list somewhere of airlines and if they offer a 4-hour cancellation policy or a 24-hour hold.

Since AA does not guarantee a fare for 24 hours but only "up to 24 hr" then wouldn't it be logical that they offer a 24hr cancellation policy?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by xxtraloud
I was wondering if there is a list somewhere of airlines and if they offer a 4-hour cancellation policy or a 24-hour hold.

Since AA does not guarantee a fare for 24 hours but only "up to 24 hr" then wouldn't it be logical that they offer a 24hr cancellation policy?
If I put a ticket on hold this morning, it would be on hold until tomorrow night. That's more than 24 hours.

And I don't know about any list. I would just go look at the websites of the airlines I'm considering. Yeah, I know that's tedious, but at least it's doable.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by xxtraloud

Just ignore the contradicting language. Bottom line is that if it is an all AA itinerary, your reservation will be held until midnight the next day of the departure city or if you are speaking to an agent, generally they will default the hold to midnight CST unless you tell them otherwise.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Rodraid
Now I pay attention to the hold time because AA states "up to"24 hours.
That is an interesting point. AA has always offered holds "up to" 24 hours (or until the fare rules cause expiration), and in practice, up to 48 hours (as long as the fare was still available). oldpenny16, I would wager that your example of losing the last seat in a fare bucket occurred between 24 and 47 hours after the hold was placed. Can you confirm?

But with the new DOT regulations that went into effect early 2012, AA is required to either offer full 24 hour holds (regardless of fare rules and partner segments) or offer 24-hour cancellation (with no restrictions).

It would seem that in practice AA offers 24-hour cancellation. (It's not hard to simply say, "I made a mistake" if they ask you why you want to cancel within the 24-hour window.) However, they really should make a clear published policy that is in full compliance with at least one of the options in the regulation.

Last edited by janetdoe; Jan 7, 2013 at 11:17 am
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:41 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by janetdoe

It would seem that in practice AA offers 24-hour cancellation. (It's not hard to simply say, "I made a mistake" if they ask you why you want to cancel within the 24-hour window.)
Actually, they don't. For AA-only flights they offer the hold and cancellation will, typically, not be allowed. Of course there are exceptions. But trying to cancel (within 24 hours) an un-Held ticket where Hold was available will, in general, not work.

Cheers.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by brp
Actually, they don't. For AA-only flights they offer the hold and cancellation will, typically, not be allowed. Of course there are exceptions. But trying to cancel (within 24 hours) an un-Held ticket where Hold was available will, in general, not work.

Cheers.
Hmm... I'm pretty sure I've done a few cancellations within 24 hours. But of course you are right, their policy doesn't offer it, and it appears that they are offering their "maybe 24 hour hold" as their mode of compliance.

If you get stung by a non-24 hour hold that expired early, call AA and explain that you expect them to honor the 24-hour hold in accordance with DOT regulations. If they refuse, filing a complaint with DOT that AA didn't offer the 24-hour hold should result in some action - I believe AA is required to respond within a very short timeframe.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by brp
I believe that you've missed my point. This has nothing to do with FT, except as an information transfer medium. I'm not suggesting that FT will change anything. I am suggesting that this policy is unwritten and that there may be leeway here. In that case, I'm suggesting that "I don't want to take that flight after all, I want to change" may not be the best wording. I have no evidence that it would really matter. Nor do I have evidence that this is a hard-and-fast, unalterable rule. I'd go with the safe approach since no one here knows definitively what "AA's approach to the policy" really is.
Agreed. The only point I was trying to make is that I have never come across one single instance where an agent has denied a change within 24 hours, whatever the reason given. My approach is usually "I understand I can change my flight within 24 hours of booking, I would like to change my flight to so-and-so, can we do that?" I can't speak for what language my colleagues use when they call but they seem to be using this policy fairly often quite successfully.

As for what sukn posted, I stand corrected that there does appear to be some documentation somewhere (though it appears to be internal and there isn't a link/source identified) stating that this policy is for errors only but, again, in practice this appears to be rarely enforced (if at all).
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus(ick)
Where did Free 24 Hour Hold Go?

I was looking at some itineraries this afternoon, and I noticed in the payment section, "24 Hour Hold" is no longer an option!

Am I missing something? Is there a glitch? Or is it gone?

I loved that feature!

*Sorry if this is misplaced, did a search and didn't find similar topics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.