Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which is the best Admirals Club lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.6MM
The AAngels at JFK give people superb service. LAX is good too,mthe bartenders specially Carl is a great guy and good to chit chat sports (big Ravens fan....ouch). The club at DFW is kinda cold on treatment, even the bartenders. Miami is good depending on the amount of people, sometimes the club near gate 15 tend to be overcrowded late as the multiple south american destinations are crowded around gates 5-21.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
I'm sitting in front of the bar at the D30 AC at MIA. What a mess: glasses and dishes everywhere with a wait staff member walking past it all, while, looking at it, but making no effort to clean up. One guy has passed by 4 times......

Otherwise, i like this AC.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by riteshraja
SFO? RDU? seriously? They are just holding pens - a small knotch above gitmo

JFK is nice. So is LAX - does not feel crowded even when it is!

DFW A and D are also nice.
If you take an immediate LEFT upon entering the LAX AC, and proceed past the bathrooms to the area before the computers and business center, that area is usually quiet and nice. But the rest of LAX AC is usually a zoo. Big space but a lot of people.

The LAX FL is another story. Very quiet and nice.

The remodeled AC in Boston is OK. The old one was nicer, I think, especially when they opened up the defunct FL area.

Fave club in DFW is D. But as others have mentioned, all are OK if you're making a connection and can't get to D easily.

HNL AAngels are the best but the club is boring.

ORD AAngels, in my opinion, are the worst. Bad attitudes for the most part. So don't flame me, as I am sure there are a few shiny apples among the many rotten ones there.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, Continental OnePass, Air Malta, HHonors Gold and many more...
Certainly the "new" premium lounge at MIA, which hasn't really changed much from it's days as the "E" AC is great now that it has a free bar (including Johnny Black and lots if ice, ok wines and even bubbly). Some of the lounge chairs in the back are quite cool in my view. I may have a "what have you done for me lately" bias because I got awesome service there last week from the AAngel trying to rebook me on a particularily complicated itinerary that went wrong in a hurry.

I agree that travelling through MIA is always a challenge, but when you live in the Caribbean, that's pretty much the only option.

Internationally, I actually like LHR... free internet, decent food, decent bar.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Over the last 24 months, I've been in the following clubs (in order of preference).

1. DFW D-Seems to have the best of the best AAngels in DFW

1. NRT-Very nice, but must admit spend most of layovers at JL F Lounge.

3. AUS-Best AAngels on 12 continents, but small.

4. SFO-1st comment on seeing new club-"Holy s***!

5. DFW A or C are interchangable

6. RDU-Small and well layed out, but crowded before LHR flight.

7. LAX-Lots of space but can still be crowded. AAngels act like if you aren't a star or regular, they can't be bothered.

8. ORD-See LAX, but without the cachet.

9. MIA-Both OK, but can get crowded.

10. DFW-B means I'm on Eagle.

11. CDG-Ranking due to having to leave Paris.

11. DEN (old)-eminently forgettable.

11. ATL-See DEN.

14. YYZ-MrsDallas49er refered to as "striving to achieve less than minimal service, and setting the standard".

Dead Last

LHR-Very long on class distinction (not talking about F, C or Y), very long on REQUIRING credentials, very long on attitude (perhaps the genesis of "Dragon"), and just as very short on being able to assist with anything out of the ordinary.

YMMV.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jan 31, 2012 at 11:17 am Reason: Reduced LHR comments
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
The best AC for me is the one that really makes a difference given the airport atmosphere. I certainly like LAX and JFK for the same reasons above. DFW - I can't complain. Ditto for ORD.

Regardless of staff, these 3 stand [stood] out:
Before they closed it about 8-9 ? years ago the DTW AC made a grim terminal experience civilized. SJU and MIA for the respite aspect.

Because of staff, these 2 are [were] always a plus: DCA is pretty small but it's nice because the bartenders make bloodys from scratch and use Old Bay
FRA was also small but nice and quiet had a nice staff too. Was there in November on Priority Pass via AMEX and it's still a nice club. I actually liked its atmosphere better than JAL.

Last edited by AATrout; Jan 25, 2012 at 6:40 pm
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA EXplat
Just was in the smallish San Diego AC-their staff has always gone above and beyond. Was trying to use the (most of the time,inoperable )telephones, Laura the bartender sensed my frustration and offered me her personal cellphone. Reminds me of the great folks at the Kansas City AC, short on facilities but great staff.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by AATrout
The best AC for me is the one that really makes a difference given the airport atmosphere. I certainly like LAX and JFK for the same reasons above. DFW - I can't complain. Ditto for ORD.
While I certainly agree with your criterion, of looking at the main terminal to AC delta, I wouldn't say the main terminal is that bad at JFK. It definitely is true at LAX: crowded, small, poor seating. But JFK? That terminal is nice! High ceilings, lots of seating, airy... I'd go so far as to say the main terminal at JFK is much nicer than DFW (except for DFW D) and ORD.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by laxconnorw
ORD AAngels, in my opinion, are the worst. Bad attitudes for the most part. So don't flame me, as I am sure there are a few shiny apples among the many rotten ones there.
Most things associated with Chicago are AAwful...

Last edited by AAerSTL; Jan 25, 2012 at 8:25 pm
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
While I certainly agree with your criterion, of looking at the main terminal to AC delta, I wouldn't say the main terminal is that bad at JFK. It definitely is true at LAX: crowded, small, poor seating. But JFK? That terminal is nice! High ceilings, lots of seating, airy... I'd go so far as to say the main terminal at JFK is much nicer than DFW (except for DFW D) and ORD.
Yep, my 1st para was confusing. I DO like JFK for all your reasons and those above including the staff. My terminal chaos thing was meant for the old DTW and what goes on at MIA all the time. I like everything @DFW though I'm almost always in C and am rarely in D//
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'd be interested to know if there is any location at which there is an alternative to using the AC (i.e. another OW lounge) but where the AC is still considered the lounge to go to. I can't think of any, which is a pretty sad indictment IMO.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, EXP 2012, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN Companion Pass
Shoe Box San Diego

Originally Posted by canew
Just was in the smallish San Diego AC-their staff has always gone above and beyond. Was trying to use the (most of the time,inoperable )telephones, Laura the bartender sensed my frustration and offered me her personal cellphone. Reminds me of the great folks at the Kansas City AC, short on facilities but great staff.
The staff at the SAN AC are the most professional helpful and kind people you would ever want to meet.

Barbara is a true gem with a huge heart and works hard to keep AC and AA customers happy.

Small club - big value!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors DIA, Fairmont GLD they make me feel special!
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Over the last 24 months, I've been in the following clubs (in order of preference).

1. DFW D-Seems to have the best of the best AAngels in DFW

1. NRT-Very nice, but must admit spend most of layovers at JL F Lounge.

3. AUS-Best AAngels on 12 continents, but small.

4. SFO-1st comment on seeing new club-"Holy s***!

5. DFW A or C are interchangable

6. RDU-Small and well layed out, but crowded before LHR flight.

7. LAX-Lots of space but can still be crowded. AAngels act like if you aren't a star or regular, they can't be bothered.

8. ORD-See LAX, but without the cachet.

9. MIA-Both OK, but can get crowded.

10. DFW-B means I'm on Eagle.

11. CDG-Ranking due to having to leave Paris.

11. DEN-eminently forgettable.

11. ATL-See DEN.

Dead Last

LHR-On 3 occaisions proved and re-proved that they are the very best of the very worst of lounge personnel in the world. Very long on REQUIRING credentials, very long on attitude, and just as very short on being able to assist with anything out of the ordinary. They are the definition of "Lounge Dragon", and the reason I have gone to other clubs the last 3 times through LHR. YMMV.

I agree - ATL - is the worse!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
I'd be interested to know if there is any location at which there is an alternative to using the AC (i.e. another OW lounge) but where the AC is still considered the lounge to go to. I can't think of any, which is a pretty sad indictment IMO.
That's because if we're talking international, the OW lounges trump the ACs overseas. AA doesn't usually hang around the international terminal where the OW lounges are when in the US.

But in cases where you can move around airside, like in DFW D, I read that the DFW D AC is better than the other airline club lounge in D, although I've never been, but that's what reports here on FT say.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by taxmanpat
Certainly the "new" premium lounge at MIA, which hasn't really changed much from it's days as the "E" AC is great now that it has a free bar (including Johnny Black and lots if ice, ok wines and even bubbly). Some of the lounge chairs in the back are quite cool in my view. I may have a "what have you done for me lately" bias because I got awesome service there last week from the AAngel trying to rebook me on a particularily complicated itinerary that went wrong in a hurry.

I agree that travelling through MIA is always a challenge, but when you live in the Caribbean, that's pretty much the only option.

Internationally, I actually like LHR... free internet, decent food, decent bar.
That lounge is not an AC though. Your AC card only gets you in if you are flying out of "E". Most admittance is gained via class of service flown J F INTL only or the rare F/Z transcon 3 class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.