Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old May 31, 19, 1:48 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AAnytime Awards (restricted to AA marketed and operated flights)

NOTE: There will likely be further changes. See Dynamic Award Pricing to be Expanded - AA announces 30 May 2019 link

Link to American Airlines award chart

Link to one world and other airline partner award chart

Link to HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, discussion thread.
[/B]

AAnytime awards

With no blackout dates, you can use AAnytime awards for any seat on an American Airlines or American Eagle® flight for as low as 20,000 miles each way, plus any applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees.

AAnytime award levels vary by date (including time of day) and region. There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards, there is a hidden level 3 based on aspirational value and premium product and even some hidden level 4 award space released on Flagship transcontinental flights). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable available award level.
See this post (post #122) for more on the Level 3 increases introduced August 2016.

Link to The Points Guy article on the hidden Level 3.

If a seat is available for sale on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight, you can acquire it as an AAnytime award seat. AAnytime awards require more miles than the restricted MileSAver awards (for AA and required for partners); there are three tiers for the miles required for AAnytime awards seats; it can "cost" even more miles during high demand periods or on certain aspirational flights.

What you need to know
  • AAnytime awards are only offered on AA marketed and operated flights
  • Miles shown are for one-way travel
  • Book a one-way trip or combine awards for round-trip or multi-city travel
  • AAnytime awards mean as long as there is a seat available for sale, an AAnytime award can take it (but miles cost can be very high)
  • Each award is subject to taxes and carrier-imposed fees starting from $5.60 per person, per award. These taxes and fees vary by itinerary and are based on trip origin and destination. The exact amount of taxes and carrier-imposed fees that will apply will appear when searching for a particular itinerary.
  • For flights offering only two classes of service, the Economy and Business / First Class awards apply. For flights offering three classes of service Economy, Business / First and First Class awards apply.
  • NOTE: AAnytime miles "cost" can vary in accord with flight demand, even on the same day
Awards cost $150 to redeposit ($25 for multiple / other travelers' awards taken from the same account); the fee is waived for awards taken from and returned to the account of an Executive Platinum member, when one wishes to pay more miles for a higher class of service or when significant flight or schedule disruption occurs).

Fees for redepositing a MileSAAver award are generally waived if they are "upgraded" to an AAnytime award. “Downgrading” from AAnytime to !ileSAAver requires redeposited and a new award ticket issue.

AAnytime awards do not earn miles, but are more flexible than MileSAAver awards, allowing easier changes and more perquisites (baggage, Same Day Flight Change, Main Cabin Extra and premium seat selection, two courtesy bags to 23 kg / 50 lbs, etc.)

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 26, 16, 2:13 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Airline Programs
JFK-EZE Jan 2, 17 is 130k/person for the one way

JFK-EZE Jan 3, 17 is 30k/person for the one way
Old Aug 19, 16, 11:05 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: DL Gold, Alaska MVP, AA LT Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
AAnytime award pricing now seems demand based by flight

It used to be that AAnytime awards on AA were specific prices. They change by the day based on demand.

For the first time, this week, I noticed that different flights on the same route on the same day are pricing out at different mileage. You can see in the image below that the JFK-LAX AAnytime is 82.5k on some times and 97.5k on other times (or 45k for a connection). The day after the same flights are either 52.5k or 62.5k.

I reached out to AA on Twitter and couldn't get a straight answer (they actually said they would pass to their app team despite this not being an app issue - thanks to the fact that AA is the only carrier you can't book awards on!)

Aside from the obvious concern about them moving towards revenue price based award pricing a la Delta, I'm also not sure how it impacts the ability to change flights. If you paid for an AAnytime award at 52.5k and want to switch to one that is 97.5k, I guess you have to pay the additional miles? What if you booked AAnytime at 97.5k and switch to one at 52.5k?

Lots of questions....

I just posted a blog post with all the details of what I've found here:

Are American’s AAnytime Awards now dynamic?

Last edited by MilesTalk; Aug 19, 16 at 12:32 pm
Old Aug 19, 16, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh my god
Old Aug 19, 16, 11:50 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold, UA 1K
And no announcement whatsoever. Things are not looking up for us.
Old Aug 19, 16, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by zpaul View Post
And no announcement whatsoever. Things are not looking up for us.
This is not new. From the AAdvantage award page:

"AAnytime award levels vary by date and region. There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable award level."
Old Aug 19, 16, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post

"AAnytime award levels vary by date and region. There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable award level."
But these are different levels on the same date-- are you saying you've seen that before?
Old Aug 19, 16, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat

"AAnytime award levels vary by date and region..."
To be fair, this is acknowledged in the original post. But what he is reporting is different award levels for the same date and same origin/destination.
Old Aug 19, 16, 12:01 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: DL Gold, Alaska MVP, AA LT Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold

I've seen it vary by day before.

I have not seen it vary by flight on same route on same day before.
Old Aug 19, 16, 12:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec Plat), United, Delta
I can't swear to it, and I don't have a screen shot, but I am fairly certain I saw this when booking some Europe awards a few months ago -- that is, different prices for different itineraries on the same day.
Old Aug 19, 16, 12:07 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am

We're not talking about different rates for different days. We're talking about different rates for different flights on the same date.

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
But these are different levels on the same date-- are you saying you've seen that before?
I have not.
Old Aug 19, 16, 12:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec Plat), United, Delta
What I meant to say is: different prices for different routings on the same day (i.e. connections through varied points).
Old Aug 19, 16, 12:10 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold, UA 1K

Let's keep an eye on the actual topic...different award levels on the same date for the same origin-destination cities.
Old Aug 19, 16, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Agree that this appears to be new (and yet another negative).

Originally Posted by daveland View Post
I'm also not sure how it impacts the ability to change flights. If you paid for an AAnytime award at 52.5k and want to switch to one that is 97.5k, I guess you have to pay the additional miles? What if you booked AAnytime at 97.5k and switch to one at 52.5k?

Lots of questions....
We all know that phone agents will have no idea how to process these changes. I foresee lots of rule inventing and frustration all around.
Old Aug 19, 16, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by roti View Post
What I meant to say is: different prices for different routings on the same day (i.e. connections through varied points).
OK. But if AA did not offer different redemption rates for different flights on the same day, do you really think that the "default" rate would be the lower one rather than the higher one?
Old Aug 19, 16, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK. But if AA did not offer different redemption rates for different flights on the same day, do you really think that the "default" rate would be the lower one rather than the higher one?
There's a reverse-- and very pertinent-- (as well as somewhat rhetorical) companion question to that, needless to say.

But at least we're all on the same page now as to what **seems** to have "changed overnight" and with zero notice.

The effect and discussion of same will be best debated after confirmation, IMO.

Search this Thread