Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAnytime Awards (restricted to AA marketed and operated flights)

NOTE: There will likely be further changes. See Dynamic Award Pricing to be Expanded - AA announces 30 May 2019 link

Link to American Airlines award chart

Link to one world and other airline partner award chart

Link to HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, discussion thread.

AAnytime awards

With no blackout dates, you can use AAnytime awards for any seat on an American Airlines or American Eagle® flight for as low as 20,000 miles each way, plus any applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees.

AAnytime award levels vary by date (including time of day) and region. There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards, there is a hidden level 3 based on aspirational value and premium product and even some hidden level 4 award space released on Flagship transcontinental flights). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable available award level.
See this post (post #122) for more on the Level 3 increases introduced August 2016.

Link to The Points Guy article on the hidden Level 3.

If a seat is available for sale on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight, you can acquire it as an AAnytime award seat. AAnytime awards require more miles than the restricted MileSAver awards (for AA and required for partners); there are three tiers for the miles required for AAnytime awards seats; it can "cost" even more miles during high demand periods or on certain aspirational flights.

What you need to know
  • AAnytime awards are only offered on AA marketed and operated flights
    • Miles shown are for one-way travel
      • Book a one-way trip or combine awards for round-trip or multi-city travel
        • AAnytime awards mean as long as there is a seat available for sale, an AAnytime award can take it (but miles cost can be very high)
          • Each award is subject to taxes and carrier-imposed fees starting from $5.60 per person, per award. These taxes and fees vary by itinerary and are based on trip origin and destination. The exact amount of taxes and carrier-imposed fees that will apply will appear when searching for a particular itinerary.
            • For flights offering only two classes of service, the Economy and Business / First Class awards apply. For flights offering three classes of service Economy, Business / First and First Class awards apply.
              • NOTE: AAnytime miles "cost" can vary in accord with flight demand, even on the same day

Awards cost $150 to redeposit ($25 for multiple / other travelers' awards taken from the same account); the fee is waived for awards taken from and returned to the account of an Executive Platinum member, when one wishes to pay more miles for a higher class of service or when significant flight or schedule disruption occurs).

Fees for redepositing a MileSAAver award are generally waived if they are "upgraded" to an AAnytime award. “Downgrading” from AAnytime to !ileSAAver requires redeposited and a new award ticket issue.

AAnytime awards do not earn miles, but are more flexible than MileSAAver awards, allowing easier changes and more perquisites (baggage, Same Day Flight Change, Main Cabin Extra and premium seat selection, two courtesy bags to 23 kg / 50 lbs, etc.)

Print Wikipost

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
As bad as it is, that's still 40,000 less than Delta for your same dates (and 140,000 less than June 2- June 8).

Points always require flexibility. This recent sale on AAnytime awards is interesting - more options (although bumping awards from L2 to L3/4 simultaneously was definitely dishonest) without opening them up to partner space.
RobertClouse likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Has anyone noticed fares to Europe are just insane this summer? I've rarely found anything south of $1800 in Y. And J is quite often already completely sold out for June/July flights to places like ATH, FCO, etc. Clearly AA has little incentive to discount tickets further.
Old May 23, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Has anyone noticed fares to Europe are just insane this summer? I've rarely found anything south of $1800 in Y. And J is quite often already completely sold out for June/July flights to places like ATH, FCO, etc. Clearly AA has little incentive to discount tickets further.
Primera and Wow are no longer flying, plus Norwegian is looking to become more profitable, so the previous few years of pricing pressure has been removed.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
First time booking AAnytime so not sure what is allowed or not.

aa.com offered LGA-PIT-DFW-OGG in J AAnytime for 145K. When I pull LGA-DFW and DFW-OGG separately, they show J AAnytime available. So should LGA-DFW-OGG be available as J J AAnytime?

Additionally, can I change it to LGA-DFW in Y AAnytime and DFW-OGG J AAnytime for 145K?

Thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Called AA and was able to get LGA-DFW added to DFW-OGG.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
I'm thinking of booking my first ever Anytime award tix, and just want to confirm that as AA Gold I'll be able to select MCE seats for free at T-24, right?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mangoMan
I'm thinking of booking my first ever Anytime award tix, and just want to confirm that as AA Gold I'll be able to select MCE seats for free at T-24, right?
Correct -- if any such seats still remain at T-24.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Called AA and was able to get LGA-DFW added to DFW-OGG.
for 145k OW?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:24 pm

I have a case where bud-phl-mht appears for Y AAnytime and bud-ord-mht appears for J saver, but there is no J AAnytime. Is that a glitch? I don't see how it's possible.

Also if I search for BUD-PHL I see AAnytime awards at 300k one-way, or in summer 400k. I know level 3 can be basically any price, but I don't think I've seen it this high before.

Last edited by rrgg; Dec 17, 2019 at 12:45 pm
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by rrgg
I have a case where bud-phl-mht appears for Y AAnytime and bud-ord-mht appears for J saver, but there is no J AAnytime. Is that a glitch? I don't see how it's possible.

Also if I search for BUD-PHL I see AAnytime awards at 300k, or in summer 400k. I know level 3 can be basically any price, but I don't think I've seen it this high before.
I've seen aa.com glitches like that before (sAAver available but no AAnytime), they usually work themselves out in a few days.

Yea, 400k for a one-way US-Europe award is insane.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! AAnytime awards from LAX to LHR and vice versa are clocking in at 300K now.

There goes the value in my AA miles, at least for that route. Whoosh
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-now-live.html
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT-Pro, Priority Club Plt, Hilton Gold, Hyatt
Booking Anytime Award Biz Flights with AAdvantage Miles

My wife and I each have enough Advantage points to take an international Biz class flight to Europe. My question is, since I have to book our flights separately as the points have to come out of two different accounts, how can I be assured that once I book the first person I’ll still be able to separately book the second one?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
One way:

AA allows awards to be put on hold for 5 days.

A) Put ticket 1 on hold from account 1
B) Put ticket 2 on hold from account 2

You now have two separate tickets on hold, each associated with the miles account that will pay for it, and you haven't redeemed any miles yet.

C) Ticket at will.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Better answer posted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.