Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Photography / photograph / videography restrictions on AA (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Restrictions and Prohibitions Regarding Photography or Videography
JonNYC provided:

The June 2015 issue of American Way in flight magazine stated:

The use of still and videocameras, film or digital, is permitted only for recording of personal events. Two-way pagers, radios,TVsets, remote controls and commercial TV cameras may not be used at any time during a flight. Please refrain from using any voice or audio recording or transmission while on an American aircraft. Unauthorized photography or video recording of airline personnel, other customers, aircraft equipment or procedures is prohibited.
Note: At this time there is no policy published or available on aa.com. Links offered below lead to pages that no longer offer quoted language, which may or not remain effect. If there are such, it would likely be available via crew handbooks on rules, etc. and would likely reflect language quoted from the American Way, above.

However, if a crew member tells you to cease and desist and you do not obey a crew member, that may well be considered an unlawful act under 49 U.S. Code § 46504 - "Interference with flight crew members and attendants". If you are told to stop, it's probably a much better idea to stop than to argue or continue if you want to fly on that flight.

"An individual on an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States who, by assaulting or intimidating a flight crew member or flight attendant of the aircraft, interferes with the performance of the duties of the member or attendant or lessens the ability of the member or attendant to perform those duties, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than 20 years, or both. However, if a dangerous weapon is used in assaulting or intimidating the member or attendant, the individual shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life.
(Pub. L. 103–272, § 1(e), July 5, 1994, 108 Stat. 1244; Pub. L. 107–56, title VIII, § 811(i), Oct. 26, 2001, 115 Stat. 382.)"

Note: While the AA policy initially listed at the top of the Wikipost seems clear, the definition of "airline areas" they embed in the 'policy' may over-reach their legal rights. This forum is about American Airlines specifically and not about public airport areas and general photo - video policy in those areas. (Specifically, AA has a right to prohibit photography and videography on their property...however, gates. terminals, baggage claim areas and ticket counter areas may indeed be public spaces. Or they may be spaces subject to airport rules and not AA rules.)

Having said this, on board the aircraft is clearly AA property. And AA prohibits photo / video of its personnel.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Photography / photograph / videography restrictions on AA (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So it's like a restaurant putting out a policy that a food critic cannot take pictures/write about the food (a "professional" purpose) unless it lets the chef know ahead of time when he's going to be there?

So much for free markets (where asymmetric information is a market failure). AA does not want buyers to know what they're actually offering, only PR lies and fabricated photo-perfect flights, North Korean style.

Is this legal in the U.S.? I presumed the press was free in the U.S.A.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
So it's like a restaurant putting out a policy that a food critic cannot take pictures/write about the food (a "professional" purpose) unless it lets the chef know ahead of time when he's going to be there?

So much for free markets (where asymmetric information is a market failure). AA does not want buyers to know what they're actually offering, only PR lies and fabricated photo-perfect flights, North Korean style.

Some restaurants don't allow photography, and that's their right as the property owner. On the other hand, they can't prohibit you from writing about them and I guess that leaves readers free to use their imagination about what's going on.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Or if you're going to write a review...make sure it's to the liking of the chef and owner....Amy's Baking Company - Yelp reviews. Just make sure you're on her good side! LOL

** added**

Here is United's policy in their Hemispheres magazine, page 100, June 2015issue.

As others have stated, Delta changed their policy as described in this article: Airlines Crack Down on inflight photography, While Delta encourages it. I'm surprised that they don't have this in the Sky magazine.

Last edited by sluggoaafa; Jun 18, 2015 at 11:01 pm Reason: added more info.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
The policy of taking videos or pics is available to all in the back of the American Way Magazine.

American Way Magazine, Page 108 of the June 2015 states the specific policy on American.

I recently had a pax video recording the FAs in FC. As soon as I saw him with his phone recording them, I paused, stooped down, and informed him of what he was doing was against AAs policy, and if he wanted to know more about the policy, it was in the back of the American Way Magazine. Asked him to delete the recording...which he did, and there was no issue. I, nor he, made a huge scene. I didn't call the flight deck, or make any report about it....it was just a pax who just wanted to video everything....he was doing it without their, or AAs, consent.

On a different flight, I had a pax who informed myself and the other FA that he was a travel blogger, wanted to know if it was ok to take a couple of pics, and use them for his blog. He handed us his business card, said if it wasn't ok, then he was ok with it. I immediately knew the site he was blogging for, and told the other FA that if she was ok with it, I definitely was. You can read his review on Jaunted.com.

It's all in the way one handles the situation.
Wish there were more FA's like you. The clearness of the policy wasn't really directed toward AA, who does make it known in the magazine (COUGHjetblueCOUGH). The power tripping comment was though, and the FA in the original story should've done exactly what you did.

Just as an FYI, I do take plenty of pictures on planes, but it is all directed out of the window
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite

I think in general when you are on private property it's up to the property owner as to what is and what is not allowed. Doesn't really have anything to do with free press.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by justhere
I think in general when you are on private property it's up to the property owner as to what is and what is not allowed.
True in some cases but not always, especially in the case of common carriers. Also, AA seems to think their policy extends to ticket counters and gates in airports, where the "private property" distinction is far hazier.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by jordyn
Even if it's true that a) photography that will eventually be used for commercial purposes is not allowed (that's not 100% obvious from the policy, which dictates that it can only be used for "personal events" rather than "personal purposes", whatever that means) and b) that permission to photograph on a particular trip only applies to a specific set of authorized flights, the purser had no way of knowing whether or not the reviewer was doing it for commercial purposes or just really likes taking pictures of their experiences. Approaching with the attitude that the passenger is doing something wrong and needs to justify their behavior without any obvious indication that there's a violation of policy, and threatening to get the captain or police involved even in the face of a pretty reasonable explanation, is incredibly bad customer service regardless of who was right about the rules.
Bingo.

People are blithely tripping past AAs (purposefully) vague wording in the policy.

It DOES say "personal EVENTS"..not personal USE. Period.

What you intend to do with the photos has no bearing, based on the policy they have posted. They may wish to redifne, expand or change with additional communications- but they are stuck with what they post.

And so are we. For example, they say you can take photos of personal events. But you cannot photograph "equipment".

You are IN THEIR EQUIPMENT!

Anyone ever ever ever see a picture from a plane that did not include something that was 'the plane'?

Their policy allows flight attendants to prevent any photos if they want.

And I am 100% sure AA is fully aware of this and wants this exactly the way it is.

PS As a pax I get annoyed when someone is doing more than taking 2-3 pictures.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Bingo.

People are blithely tripping past AAs (purposefully) vague wording in the policy.

What you intend to do with the photos has no bearing, based on the policy they have posted. They may wish to redifne, expand or change with additional communications- but they are stuck with what they post.

And so are we. For example, they say you can take photos of personal events. But you cannot photograph "equipment".

Anyone ever ever ever see a picture from a plane that did not include something that was 'the plane'?

And I am 100% sure AA is fully aware of this and wants this exactly the way it is.

As it clearly states in the wiki, written today, AA has NO PUBLISHED POLICY / absolutely nothing to say in public on this issue, accessible on aa.com. The language you are alluding to no longer is on aa.com.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Bingo.

AA does not have a policy on this on their website. Furthermore, what happens if it's a first time flier and they do not know there is a policy in the back of American Way magazine stating this?

Furthermore, AA has no authority on the ground to dictate taking pictures of their ticket counters/gates.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
As it clearly states in the wiki, written today, AA has NO PUBLISHED POLICY / absolutely nothing to say in public on this issue, accessible on aa.com. The language you are alluding to no longer is on aa.com.
The link above to June 2015 American Way sure does look like AA has a written position on photography....

The use of still and videocameras, film or digital, is permitted only for recording of personal events. Two-way pagers, radios,TVsets, remote controls and commercial TV cameras may not be used at any time during a flight. Please refrain from using any voice or audio recording or transmission while on an American aircraft. Unauthorized photography or video recording of airline personnel, other customers, aircraft equipment or procedures is prohibited.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It may be a policy, unilaterally created, but at least one aspect of it is unquestionably an illegal restriction: I can stand on a public sidewalk near a flight path and take as many pictures I want of AA's "aircraft equipment" and AA can't do anything about it.

Some interesting notes about your freedoms at http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Assuming that you have a little extra time, there's only one response to a cabin crew threat to involve the police for your taking pictures. "That's fine, I'll be happy to wait right here until they arrive." It may be against AA rules, but it's not a crime; and police aren't going to arrest you for it. If you're subsequently delayed, a creative lawyer could then make a claim based on a false report to law enforcement, which, itself, is a crime in nearly all jurisdictions.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by airplanegod
AA does not have a policy on this on their website. Furthermore, what happens if it's a first time flier and they do not know there is a policy in the back of American Way magazine stating this?

Furthermore, AA has no authority on the ground to dictate taking pictures of their ticket counters/gates.
You miss my point-

Policy on the website or not, means nothing. If it isnt in the law, T&C or CoC, then it isnt binding, right?

My point is their 'policy' is oddly worded, and purposefully vague. By using 'equipment' they can prevent ANY photos on board except taking a picture of your belly button! Essentially they give an FA carte blanche for hassling anyone taking a picture.

I totally agree they cannot control what you do in or on a public space at the airport, or on the jetbridge.

And I agree w Dr. HFH.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 6:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The link above to June 2015 American Way sure does look like AA has a written position on photography....
Ah, thanks. I find Amerucan Way a useless bit of advo-fluff I don't look through. The world's best doctors... enough to make anyone I'll.

I wonder why they have pulled any mention from aa.com, and why, if this is indeed their policy, they don't enforce it except selectively, when someone feels like it?

The use of still and videocameras, film or digital, is permitted only for recording of personal events. Two-way pagers, radios, TV sets, remote controls and commercial TV cameras may not be used at any time during a flight. Please refrain from using any voice or audio recording or transmission while on an American aircraft. Unauthorized photography or video recording of airline personnel, other customers, aircraft equipment or procedures is prohibited.
Some would claim exploring a business seat is a "personal event". Unenforceable vague, as they prefer it. Dr. HFH is spot on, particularly if they allow anyone else to record - "Hey, put that cell phone away!"

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 19, 2015 at 6:52 pm
Old Jun 19, 2015, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.