Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Unfortunately, you only earn miles and points for the originally purchased price when you upgrade with instruments, miles and copayment, Load Factor Based Upgrade (upgrade offered when checking in online, at kiosk or counter), etc.

If you paid money to exchange an Economy to Business or First ticket, you should earn at the newly purchased class of service. If you were offered a LFBU, you would earn at the originally purchased price.

If not an LFBU, you might call once more and ask to speak to a supervisor, and see if your ticket booked as an upgrade or purchased ticket - if Business, I, D, J; if First, P, A, F. But it looks like you were offered a LFBU. A good deal, indeed, even with the original miles earned.

See GUIDE: Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thd.).

This thread will be merged soon.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 16, 2015 at 10:03 am
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by Whenderson
Hi

I flew from Chicago to London on Wednesday. I was booked in coach but at online check-in I was offered a deal to upgrade to Business for $410, which I took.

But I have only been credited with points for coach.

I called and was told - and I don't quite understand this - that my ticket hadn't been "exchanged" for a coach to Business one and even though I had paid, I wasn't entitled for any extra points.

Does anyone know if this is true. I don't really want another 50 minute phone call only to be told the same.

Can someone explain? Basically I just want to know if AA is correct

Thanks
Basically, you purchased a space-available upgrade, not a business class (J, D, I) ticket, which probably would have been crazy expensive on the day of travel, even with the original ticket credit subtracted. You flew TATL in a business class seat on an economy ticket for $410. That in itself is a win.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Ah OK - well, now I know.

Yes it did say LFBU, and iplaybass, you are indeed right - to pay just $410 was a bargain. I shouldn't be greedy, just wanted confirmation.

Thank you both for your responses, all the best
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:47 pm
m44

Programs: USAir
Originally Posted by Whenderson
Ah OK - well, now I know.

Yes it did say LFBU, and iplaybass, you are indeed right - to pay just $410 was a bargain. I shouldn't be greedy, just wanted confirmation.

Thank you both for your responses, all the best
It is not you who is greedy.
The fact that the value of the business class seat on that flight dropped to coach+$410 does not mean that the it was not the price paid for the coach.
Those interpretations that miles, co-payment or even etc. is not the price or that it is generosity of the airline are sick. The market dictated the price - the fact that is was a bargain does not change it.
The argument of someone that the business class tix would be super expensive is preposterous - it was so expensive that nobody wanted to buy it, and the airline needed to drop its price to the +$410.
This is why they have to write the rules in which they say we can change them and only we can interpret them. It does not mean they are honest or moral or right. And the only reason for their existence is greed. They rather let that seat fly empty than give it to frequent flyers like it used to be on many airlines.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by m44
...They rather let that seat fly empty than give it to frequent flyers like it used to be on many airlines.
All of which are out of business now.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:09 pm

I'm on an award ticket to Mexico next month and am looking at upgrading to J. Some questions:

1) It looks like those on award tickets are less likely to be offered an LFBU at checkin, is that correct?

2) Is there any better likelihood of getting an upgrade at the kiosk vs. checking in online? If so, is there a way to check at the kiosk if I'm already checked in (such as re-printing my boarding pass there)?

3) Do the agents at the AC/boarding gate/baggage check have access to the exact same upgrade inventory? Also, do they discriminate based on paid vs award tickets at that upsell point?

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm curious on the Timing of these.... I just checked in on-line for a trip tomorrow and was not offered a LFBU for my Transatlantic segement (Nor was I offered one for the domestic leg but it looks like first is full on the flight and I didn't request an upgrade) despite 3 of 10 seats being open on EF (2 of the 12 are blocked for crew rest). Does this mean they are not offering a LFBU (or paid upgrade) on this flight? Or Is it just because that particular flight is more than 24 hours from now?

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by lowfareair
I'm on an award ticket to Mexico next month and am looking at upgrading to J. Some questions:

1) It looks like those on award tickets are less likely to be offered an LFBU at checkin, is that correct?

2) Is there any better likelihood of getting an upgrade at the kiosk vs. checking in online? If so, is there a way to check at the kiosk if I'm already checked in (such as re-printing my boarding pass there)?

3) Do the agents at the AC/boarding gate/baggage check have access to the exact same upgrade inventory? Also, do they discriminate based on paid vs award tickets at that upsell point?

Thanks!
"less likely" meaning "never"?

Awards cannot be 'upgraded'...not with points, coupons or dollars.

You can CHANGE to a first class award. So in a sense "upgrade", but it is a new seat/new ticket.

They dont "discriminate"- awards arent eligible for upgrades.

In my last million miles I had one agent upgrade my daughter from a coach award seat to first class. On a saturday. There were empty seats in F. I was a EXP at the time
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
I'm curious on the Timing of these.... I just checked in on-line for a trip tomorrow and was not offered a LFBU for my Transatlantic segement (Nor was I offered one for the domestic leg but it looks like first is full on the flight and I didn't request an upgrade) despite 3 of 10 seats being open on EF (2 of the 12 are blocked for crew rest). Does this mean they are not offering a LFBU (or paid upgrade) on this flight? Or Is it just because that particular flight is more than 24 hours from now?

Thanks!
Hard to say why.... If there are 3 open J seats but 20 people on the upgrade waitlist I dont think they will offer a LFBU...since the 'load' is pretty high.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Hard to say why.... If there are 3 open J seats but 20 people on the upgrade waitlist I dont think they will offer a LFBU...since the 'load' is pretty high.
What I was thinking too. I doubt though that the upgrade list will be that long as the Y cabin is probably 40% empty. Of the seats empty they are primarily the MCE and "preferred" so I would imagine most on the flight are elites. Time Will tell I suppose!

*EDIT* Checked my reservation Online at T-24 to DEPARTURE OF THE FLIGHT and was offered a LFBU-- which I gladly accepted and paid!

Last edited by FlyingLaw; Oct 22, 2015 at 4:42 pm
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
"less likely" meaning "never"?

Awards cannot be 'upgraded'...not with points, coupons or dollars.
Not even an LFBU at the airport/gate? Any reason why your post and the wiki contradict each other?

"One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket." - The wiki.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Not even an LFBU at the airport/gate? Any reason why your post and the wiki contradict each other?

"One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket." - The wiki.
The wiki is correct, an elite on an award ticket is eligible for a LFBU last I ever heard. Certainly was the case when the LFBU was introduced, for 100% sure.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
The wiki is correct, an elite on an award ticket is eligible for a LFBU last I ever heard. Certainly was the case when the LFBU was introduced, for 100% sure.
Ah okay. So as a non-elite on an award ticket, I couldn't even pay for an upgrade at the gate if it was available, correct?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:56 am
Suspended

Ah okay. So as a non-elite on an award ticket, I couldn't even pay for an upgrade at the gate if it was available, correct?
Paying at the gate would be a counter upgrade which is different that LFBU (and does't have the same requirements (but is also far far less likely,)) but, regardless, I'd say the chances are incredibly slim and you should either a) look into changing to an award ticket in the class you want (if available, obviously,) or b) accustom yourself to the fact that you'll be traveling in economy, pretty much for 100% certain.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:48 am

Data point :
USD 500 for DFW-CDG from J to F
Buy the LFBU at the AA contracted lounge in SAN after I asked and they called someone
Check in agent in San Diego told me to check at DFW

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.