Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
If seats are available, AA offers Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) at check-in. See this thread. You could also use miles+copay to upgrade anytime, assuming C availability.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Lax-jfk lfbu

Was offered LFBU LAX-JFK, J-F, for around $220. Declined, but wondering if it would be worth it next time -- got a couple of more flights coming up.

Anyone with a similar experience can comment? I find that the J product is already pretty decent.

On another note, definitely would have done it had it been Y-J but suspect that LFBU's would be much more harder to come across as the J cabin is usually packed full.

@:-) Wondering if the trend that AA is processing SWU's at the gate now for most routes is so that it can earn more $$$ from LFBU's via kiosk purchases. If so,
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:09 pm

domestic LFB upgrade

At OLCI, I was offered an LFB upgrade on DCA-MIA flight for $100. Does that sound like typical price? (I was on heavily discounted nonrefundable coach fare, if that matters).

I accepted the offer. Just wondering if the price was what you might expect.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:16 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Check out this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

this will probably end up merged there anyway.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Chamor
I accepted the offer. Just wondering if the price was what you might expect.
Yep sounds like it. It's usually one price -- $45/500 mile segment. DCA-MIA is 919 mi so $45*2 (plus taxes I'm guessing?)
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:33 am

MIA-BOG. Offered upgrade at online checking for $200

Took it
Old Oct 3, 2015, 2:46 am

Programs: etihad guest silver/ba bronze
Just missed out on the upgrade as only one seat left.
One small point:
I was shocked at no seat back entertainment on a tatl!
Big screens in the main cabin showing a 90's movie is pretty lame!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
AA's 757s do leave a bit to be desired in Y on TATL flights.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
GRU-DFW J to F US$550 at the kiosk. No thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
On routes which usually serve meals in the premium cabins, how often have LFBUs resulted in no meals? Last year, I did one on AC without realizing last minute upgrades usually don't get a meal.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Sant
On routes which usually serve meals in the premium cabins, how often have LFBUs resulted in no meals? Last year, I did one on AC without realizing last minute upgrades usually don't get a meal.
At the kiosk it's clearly indicated meal (at cdg)
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:29 am

I have never purchased a LFBU on AA for a flight that operated during normal meal times and not received a meal. Special request meals aren't going to happen (maybe if you purchase at T-24), but you'll get your choice of steak or fish.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by abefroman329
I have never purchased a LFBU on AA for a flight that operated during normal meal times and not received a meal. Special request meals aren't going to happen (maybe if you purchase at T-24), but you'll get your choice of steak or fish.
They'll serve your Y special meal. They sometimes refused me the regular J meal when ordering a Y special meal.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by CGRA
They'll serve your Y special meal. They sometimes refused me the regular J meal when ordering a Y special meal.
Huh. I've never LFBU'd on a flight that served a meal in Y.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Paid to upgrade but no extra points: Can somene help? [to merge]

Hi

I flew from Chicago to London on Wednesday. I was booked in coach but at online check-in I was offered a deal to upgrade to Business for $410, which I took.

But I have only been credited with points for coach.

I called and was told - and I don't quite understand this - that my ticket hadn't been "exchanged" for a coach to Business one and even though I had paid, I wasn't entitled for any extra points.

Does anyone know if this is true. I don't really want another 50 minute phone call only to be told the same.

Can someone explain? Basically I just want to know if AA is correct

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.