Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by theshaun
Will keep checking to see if it comes available but are they expecting me to upgrade the 1 hour flight before offering the longer flight?
If an upgrade wasn't offered at check-in, then it's likely that there are enough elites on the upgrade list to take all the available seats (in which case no upgrades will be offered for sale). Whether or not you take the upgrade on the shorter flight should have nothing to do with it.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA
So the upgrade offer for my second leg is now being offered to me. And as AA would have it, im trying to pay for it for a couple hours now and the “system is having troubles”

called in to do it and was told ot was online only.... maybe just that the xmas eve staff are not the sharpest. AA’s loss. Im trying to give them money and they wont take it.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:46 am

So the upgrade offer for my second leg is now being offered to me. And as AA would have it, im trying to pay for it for a couple hours now and the “system is having troubles”

called in to do it and was told ot was online only.... maybe just that the xmas eve staff are not the sharpest. AA’s loss. Im trying to give them money and they wont take it.
update: so the reason i could not process was because i was already checked in. I called back this morning and was redirected to a web service agent who was able to “unlock” a setting and i was then able to process the upgrade but will have to check in at the airport for that leg.

So, to sum it up. If you are hoping for an upgrade offer at OLCI and dont get it. Keep looking at manage your booking. It may be offered later. But if you have already checked in you may have trouble processing the upgrade without calling in.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:06 am

It's (a) online, at check-in or (b) at the kiosk at the airport, even if you've already checked in. You weren't given incorrect info.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:34 am

Flying ORD to Madrid on Friday (I'm Gold and booked in Economy)... it's AA-marketed on Iberia. My friend and I are hoping to get an upgrade offer at the counter (she doesn't have status on AA). Is there anywhere online where I can look at first/business availability on our flight?

Also calling AA today to start a platinum challenge... has anyone heard if they are offering a plat pro challenge yet? Between Spain + work travel, I think I could get it and would still be less expensive than buying the EOY boost to plat either way.

Thank you so much!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
It's (a) online, at check-in or (b) at the kiosk at the airport, even if you've already checked in. You weren't given incorrect info.
this is not correct. I was subsequently offered the upgrade after checking in. I just kept checking manage my flight. I was then able to purchase it but only after a web support agent changed something in the back end
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:42 am

this is not correct. I was subsequently offered the upgrade after checking in. I just kept checking manage my flight. I was then able to purchase it but only after a web support agent changed something in the back end
The "something" is that you were un-checked in. This is how it's worked since at least 2012.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goblueov
Flying ORD to Madrid on Friday (I'm Gold and booked in Economy)... it's AA-marketed on Iberia. My friend and I are hoping to get an upgrade offer at the counter (she doesn't have status on AA). Is there anywhere online where I can look at first/business availability on our flight?

Also calling AA today to start a platinum challenge... has anyone heard if they are offering a plat pro challenge yet? Between Spain + work travel, I think I could get it and would still be less expensive than buying the EOY boost to plat either way.

Thank you so much!
How are you Gold on IB or AA? If AA you can't do the PLT challange.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:18 am

Airport upgrades at Heathrow? (LFBU / DODU to merge)

Hello
I wonder if AA offers airport upgrades like BA does.
I am flying from LHR to JFK in premium economy and wonder if they might offer paid airport upgrades.
Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Yes they will if space is available. Upgrades are usually gone though by the time you get to the airport but can’t hurt to ask
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: AA PPro
Download AA's app and check in at 24 hours, if load factor based upgrade space is available it will prompt you to upgrade to business and pay right through the app.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:13 pm

Thanks

I'll get the app!
Is app better than pc web checkin?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA PPro
I am not sure if the website will offer the upgrades, I know the app will from first hand experience.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Also see DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd).
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:16 am

Upgrade upon check in (for purchase)

does AA do this the same way United does?

otherwise what are options to pay for upgrades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.