Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Back when I had no status, AA used to offer LFBU's for $90 on the MadDog between ORD and MSY. Since I always had two checked bags, it essentially became a $30 upgrade to F. Not bad for a much better seat (I love the F seats on the MD-80s) and a decent breakfast. Judging by the loads in F at check-in and at boarding, lots of people took advantage of it.

Side note: Has anyone ever been offered a LFBU from J to F on a three-class flight after using a SWU to upgrade from Y to J?

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
A reasonable paid upgrade is whatever you think is reasonable. That said, a normal miles + co-pay upgrade is $350 + 25,000 miles. If you value AA miles at 1.5 cpm, that would be $375 worth of miles. $375 + $350 = $725 = the ceiling on what I'd ever pay for a cash upgrade. Maybe factor in the extra miles earned and you'd get me to $800.
This is a smart way to think about if an upgrade is "worth it." I never thought to consider it this way. Good idea!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:48 am

Last year, I was offered $410 upgrade to J on ORD-LHR at OLCI. I took it. It was a 9:00 am departure, those flights can be fairly empty.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyForFun
We received an upgrade offer at check-in of $500 from coach to business from DFW to AMS in May 2017. We took advantage of the offer.
Originally Posted by JMontpelier
Last year, I was offered $410 upgrade to J on ORD-LHR at OLCI. I took it. It was a 9:00 am departure, those flights can be fairly empty.
Nice. I'd probably jump on both of those.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:36 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I chose the chicken for my ZRH-JFK in bc. They had some sauce on the chicken which detracted from the chicken--I only ate 1/3 of the portion; the salad had a miniscule amount of dressing.
The chicken in Y for JFK-ZRH was pretty good.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by JMontpelier
If I had the money, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. That's a great deal, especially since it's a day flight.

Originally Posted by nrr
The chicken in Y for JFK-ZRH was pretty good.
That's one nice thing about AA economy - the Y meals are usually pretty good. Except for some vile entrees catered ex-HKG, I find that AA's Y food is generally pretty good.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Was just offered upgrade at OLCI for a transcon ex-LAX tomorow for $204.65. Took the offer since I had been planning on paying for a checked bag and an exit row seat anyhow. And now no need to buy dinner at LAX and spend close to $20! So I figure i'm paying about $100 more which is fine.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:06 pm

Has anyone ever received an LFBU offer from J to F after using a SWU/miles+copay upgrade from Y to J? Do they only offer J->FF upgrades to pax on paid J tickets?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by sleuth
Was just offered upgrade at OLCI for a transcon ex-LAX tomorow for $204.65. Took the offer since I had been planning on paying for a checked bag and an exit row seat anyhow. And now no need to buy dinner at LAX and spend close to $20! So I figure i'm paying about $100 more which is fine.
The price indicates that you were offered a fare difference upgrade not necessarily a discounted upgrade. This would also mean that the upgrade would be ahead of elite-bases upgrades.

T​his means your original fare purchased was pretty expensive and/or the business class fare was competitive.

Rasheed
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I just finished a MCI-LGA-MCI trip. Both directions there were empty F seats. I went to the airport kiosk both directions, hoping to see an upgrade offer, but didn't get one. I know I could have used 500-mile credits to do it, but since it's an 1100-mile flight I thought I might get a better kiosk offer than $120. It didn't happen, and I didn't upgrade since I already had a good MCE seat.

Do the kiosks *only* show you 500-mile options if you qualify? Was that what prevented it from showing me a cash upgrade option? I realize that in most cases, most elites would happily use the 500-milers...
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Just wondering, since it was not mentioned in the EQD post, in the case when I buy up the upgrade, how will EQD/EQM be treated?

I guess the buy-up fee probably does not count towards EQD, but will the EQM based on the upgraded fare or the original fare (like SWU or stickers) with class bonus? If this is a special fare, EQD and EQM ratio will be different as well.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
For domestic routes, you would need to remove your elite number to get a LFBU ($55 per 500 miles approximately). It might be a bit cheaper on a 1100 miles flight by curving the cost of the last 100 miles.

Otherwise, you may frequently get fare difference upgrade offers which are really no deal, just buying up the difference that you might not have realized.

Rasheed
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
So did I get this right, a paid Upgrade at the Check-In Kiosk would be $55 per 500 miles? Is that always the same price or can it vary on the routes? I´m looking to upgrade 2 flights in January(HNL-LAX and LAX-JFK). Heard something about 300$ for an Upgrade from Y to J. Can I expect that range?

Cheers
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:59 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by EDDMflyer
I´m looking to upgrade 2 flights in January(HNL-LAX and LAX-JFK).
Chances of paid upgrades being available/offered on those two routes are slim to none.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
@EDDMflyer

In my experience, AA doesn't offer kiosk upgrades unless the computer gods predict that F/J seats will otherwise go empty because there aren't enough elites on board. So, for example, when I flew from Phoenix to Spokane recently, there were empty seats in First. I presume there might have been an option for a kiosk upgrade to non-elites.

On the other hand, LAX-JFK and HNL-LAX are routes with lots of elites. As an EXP, I normally get upgraded on HNL-LAX although there are often 30-40 people on the upgrade list. Getting upgraded as an EXP on the LAX-JFK route is 50/50 at best and there will be 30-50 people on the upgrade list. So, the computer gods will never (well never might be a little strong -- I suppose their could be a typhoon in Hawaii and no one is heading that direction) offer kiosk upgrades on those routes.
JonNYC and TWA884 like this.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Sep 8, 2017 at 11:53 am
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Was offered a paid upgrade at online checkin yesterday for AA141 LHR-JFK for £391 per passenger (about $510). I declined.

It was actually a very empty flight but the business class seatmap seemed to have filled up a bit when I looked closer to flight time, which suggests that some people at least did take them up on the offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.