Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That is not a LFBU which as Sukn correctly states are via kiosk and on-line check-in only, that is a counter upgrade (or "international Airport Upgrade"), different product and procedure than LFBU.
Thank you.
FWIW the check in agent told me it's not possibe.
A was wide open so I guess it was also available at the kiosk.
BTW can we check if Lfbu are available at the kiosk if we already have a BP ?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA G, UA, HH G
Another data point:
PHL-MCO nonstop / LUS A332 / LFBU to F offered at OLCI for $90.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Was hoping to find one for DFW-CDG tomorrow. Flying YVR-DFW-CDG. I've checked in already (less than 24 hours to YVR-DFW, but still greater than 24 hours for DFW-CDG).
ExpertFlyer shows this for the DFW-CDG flight:
F0 A0 P0 J7 R7 D7 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 G0 N0 Q0 O0
and still 19 unassigned seats in business.

Seems like a good candidate for LFBU, but haven't seen anything offered yet.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by isabeloh
Another data point:
PHL-MCO nonstop / LUS A332 / LFBU to F offered at OLCI for $90.
So no change to the $45/500mile LFBU price in 2016. Only $5 more than a sticker
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by CGRA
Thank you.
FWIW the check in agent told me it's not possibe.
A was wide open so I guess it was also available at the kiosk.
BTW can we check if Lfbu are available at the kiosk if we already have a BP ?
Yes. Back before I had status and the kiosk's were just coming out I was able to do just that at O'Hare.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold
LFBU on Award Ticket?

Anyone have any experience as an elite upgrading an award ticket via LFBUs? Flying tomorrow from STL through ORD to YYZ on an award ticket. F/J and Y are wide open on both segments, (F7 to ORD and J6 with only a few seats sold in Y on each), and wasn't offered at OLCI. I'll check at the kiosk at STL, but I wonder if newAA has stopped offering LFBUs on award tickets.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JamilD
So no change to the $45/500mile LFBU price in 2016. Only $5 more than a sticker
Sticker prices haven't gone up yet, so there's still a possibility that DOD upgrade pricing will increase, too.

Otherwise it'll just make the transition from elite to no status easier next year if I decide not to requalify.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:07 pm

Finally finished reading the whole thread and have a few questions.

We need two tickets to SCL late Jan 2017, return from EZE first week of Feb. Live in TPA but willing to drive to MIA or MCO or wherever in reason. Have a little over 200k Citi TYP and about 100k AA miles. I just missed Gold last year and have the boost offer, but have not taken it yet, which would make me Gold through Feb 2017.

Best case scenario for 2 tickets in J (I think) would be 1 MileSAAver for 100k round trip and purchasing one ticket with Thank You points. However, it's going to be a crapshoot on availability, with the second leg being 16 days after the first. And I need both legs to be MileSAAver. Of course the miles sales was over before my availability opened, 2k for 100k miles was a decent deal if I knew I could get 2 MileSAAver tickets.

So, if that 100k ticket doesn't happen, I may spring for MCE seats in Y, booking both seats with TYP so I can purchase MCE, as booking Y with AA miles I wouldn't be able to buy those seats. Does that make the kiosk upgrade offer less likely, if you have already purchased MCE? I do like the idea of direct from Miami, but honestly the old 777 is less than appealing and not truly MCE seats and I may route myself through Dallas if it gets me a better choice of seats on a better plane. Better being relative in coach.

If I boost to Gold, what does that do for me for options of purchasing the 500 mile increments? I tried reading the AA page on that and South America is not listed so maybe the question is moot. I'm still a bit unclear about those. These are long flights, I'd really love to not be in Y. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by voodoogirl; Feb 1, 2016 at 2:52 pm
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:13 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by voodoogirl
So, if that 100k ticket doesn't happen, I may spring for MCE seats in Y, booking both seats with TYP so I can purchase MCE, as booking Y with AA miles I wouldn't be able to buy those seats. Does that make the kiosk upgrade offer less likely, if you have already purchased MCE?
Don't think it makes a difference. I've been in MCE/exit row and still been offered a kiosk upgrade before. (This was on a transatlantic flight.) But just to re-iterate what many have already said in this thread: kiosk upgrades DO happen- but they're by far NOT the norm for most routes. AA's been trying hard to keep their premium cabins full, especially on long-haul flights where premium seats + cargo can make/break the profitability of a route.

Originally Posted by voodoogirl
If I boost to Gold, what does that do for me for options of purchasing the 500 mile increments? I tried reading the AA page on that and South America is not listed so maybe the question is moot. I'm still a bit unclear about those.
500-mile upgrades can only be used for domestic* flights.

* "Domestic" to AA mean 50 United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, Bermuda as well as between the United States and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua or Panama).
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:44 pm

Ah, thank you so much JY1024, I guess that make sense then. I think Gold will do little for me this year as I won't be flying as much, so I will just cross my fingers and toes for a saver award and if not, buy Y and try and buy an exit row or bulkhead and hope at the kiosk. Any chance the old 777 will be phased out of this route by by next Jan?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
LBFUs on award

Are LBFUS no longer offered? I'm in AA 1944 phl-msp, Plat Exec on Award. FC has only 4 seats in use. Probably 8 open. I asked at the club and gate to buy and was told they do not sell upgtades. Tried kiosks and said unable to upgrade. I have row 6 to myself and will be fine but I'm surprised the airline is not willing to get more of my money.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AA is happy for you to pay a fee to redeposit those miles and to proceed to secure a First class award.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:23 am

Good suggestion but I believe platexec does not pay a fee to redeposit miles. The information I read about LBFUs suggested I would be elegible to purchase one if available and there are 8 open seats at door closing time. I have row 6 to myself and is a Kettle free row. More beer money upon arrival. Just trying to play the game like everyone else so hate the game and not the player, brah!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
LBFUs on award

Upgrades are not offered on awards. That is not a game. You could get a first class award.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:03 pm

<redacted> it is a game to maximize the benefits.... i was betting on UGs for sale but no dice. thanks for the info.

If the Confirmed Upgrade option is available on a flight for which you are using an AAdvantage award ticket, then it will be offered when you check in using the Self-Service machine.

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 8, 2016 at 6:44 am Reason: Removed quote of and reply to deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.