Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
HAving flown the 77W LHR-DFW in F, it is a suit compared to J, much more room, but there really is not much storage space. The food was good not great, and the mushroom soup we got was good. So on your flight if you take flight time and the amount to upgrade, it comes out to $50/hr so in my world, it is worth it to upgrade if you can. Plus you get access into the arrivals lounge too.
With BA their "suit" is most probably the best J product around

Yes would like to try the Qantas F lounge at LAX, (I'm connecting) so that may encourage me to take the upgrade if offered.

IIRC the fare difference J/F (ex-OSL) was about USD 1000 one way, so USD 500 for the extra miles and a garantee (window) F seat. The few times I took the airport upgrade / LFBA I ended in the center section (772 and 77W)
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
OLCI Upgrade

So I have just started flying AA and the AAdvantage program after a move to the DFW area. I tried looking in the Newbie FAQ, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I purchased an upgrade through the airport Kiosk, the fare class I traveled on was "C", original purchased fare was a "M" fare. Just wondering if I get the class fare bonus in EQMs?

Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
No, you will get credited for the ORIGINAL fare class purchased.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
Originally Posted by rfett2
So I have just started flying AA and the AAdvantage program after a move to the DFW area. I tried looking in the Newbie FAQ, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I purchased an upgrade through the airport Kiosk, the fare class I traveled on was "C", original purchased fare was a "M" fare. Just wondering if I get the class fare bonus in EQMs?

Thanks for the help!
Where were you traveling to and from ?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
J or EXP status (in any cabin) would grant access to the LHR arrivals lounge. And it's worth noting that at this moment it's closed for refurbishment. The only additional/incremental lounge acces this would grant would be for the Flagship Lounge, which of course is not currently operating at DFW (although you could access the interim flagship dining facility).
Since the OP flight is LAX-LHR what does DFW has to do with this?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Since the OP flight is LAX-LHR what does DFW has to do with this?
You mentioned it in your anecdotal response to the OP. Poster you quote probably latched onto your response and forgot the OP wasn't talking about that route.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 4:27 am

Programs: AA, Marriott, Hertz
Red face Check-In Upgrade Option on American

I will be flying to LHR from ORD tomorrow night. I am debating on doing my normal Check In Online 24 Hours before departure or to wait and check in at the airport tomorrow.

I have to check bags, so i have to stop at the kiosk / agent anyway. I want to know if other people have been offered those "Kiosk" upgrades to Business or First class at checkin at the airport on American. i hear that if you check in on the internet / phone ahead of time, you don't get those offers and will never see them.

Anyone know any truth to that?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mhankosky
I will be flying to LHR from ORD tomorrow night. I am debating on doing my normal Check In Online 24 Hours before departure or to wait and check in at the airport tomorrow.

I have to check bags, so i have to stop at the kiosk / agent anyway. I want to know if other people have been offered those "Kiosk" upgrades to Business or First class at checkin at the airport on American. i hear that if you check in on the internet / phone ahead of time, you don't get those offers and will never see them.

Your post has been moved to this forum, since your question is about flying AA; we have merged your query into this thread on your topic of interest.

Please be sure to read the wikipost at the top of the page.

/Moderator
Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by mhankosky

The upgrade will be offered online or via mobile if there is sufficient premium cabin inventory available. Even if you're already checked in, you can check to see if any upgrades have become available by using the kiosk or by accessing your reservation online. It's not so much a question of check-in method as much as it is a question of how many seats are unsold when you check in.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
The upgrade will be offered online or via mobile if there is sufficient premium cabin inventory available. Even if you're already checked in, you can check to see if any upgrades have become available by using the kiosk or by accessing your reservation online. It's not so much a question of check-in method as much as it is a question of how many seats are unsold when you check in.
I have a similar situation in a few weeks; thanks for the answer!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Was offered $150 upgrade JFK-MIA on a 737-800.
Another $150 to upgrade MIA-CCS on a equally old config 737-800.

Declined both offers, I was seating comfortably at MCE 15C & 7A. I don't think it's worth it. What you guys think?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mvtm

Declined both offers, I was seating comfortably at MCE 15C & 7A. I don't think it's worth it. What you guys think?
It depends on what you're looking for. I was in a very serious accident and shattered my scapula so width of a seat is super important. I will pay for a wider/bigger seat.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If Y was booked full or I was dogged tired I would probably be tempted, maybe more so MIA/CCS. MIA/CCS the meal would be a little better as its considered "International Business." Unfortunately, the 738 F seat leaves a lot to be desired and unless you get lucky most 738s have no AVOD.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by mvtm

I don't think it would've been worth it either, at least not for the premium product on a 737. Maybe on an international 757 or a widebody.

DOD upgrades on JFK-MIA used to be $135 ($45 per 500 mi) and it looks like that's gone up to $50 per 500 mi, presumably to match the increase in sticker prices from $30/$35 to $40 each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.