Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning and Redeeming AA Miles on HA / Hawaiian Airlines (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning and Redeeming AA Miles on HA / Hawaiian Airlines
Note changes ConUS-Hawai'i awards and special conditions for Interisland flights

Link to miles earning and redemption on Hawaiian Airlines page on aa.com

Earning AAdvantage miles

• Flying Hawaiian Airlines as an American Airlines marketed flight / codeshare earns EQ Miles and Points as if you were flying American Airlines.

• Flying HA earns redeemable miles, not Elite-Qualifying. Highly discounted K, L, O or Z economy fares earn no AA miles and Mainland - Islands flights earn no AA miles either, in any fare class[/hl]; flying a HA marketed / codeshare flight operated by American Airlines would appear to earn no miles. Again, NO EQD, EQM, EQS are accruable flying HA if not as an AA marketed flight / code share.

Earn miles
Earn AAdvantage miles when you fly on Hawaiian Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Hawaiian Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines. Simply:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket booked in an eligible code
  • Fly an eligible route between Honolulu and Lihue, Hilo, Kona and Maui; between Maui and Lihue and Honolulu and between Lihue and Hilo and Kona.
Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

Regions

Earn AAdvantage® miles for travel on Hawaiian Airlines within the Hawaiian Islands and between Hawaii and:
  • South Pacific
  • Asia
Exceptions: Hawaiian flights operated under the Ohana brand are not eligible for award mileage accrual.
Redeem miles

*Effective September 1, 2015, AAdvantage members will no longer be able to book awards between Hawaii and the continental U.S. on Hawaiian Airlines.

Unannounced change effective 1 Sep 2015: AAdvantage members who wish to fly AA or AS between the "lower 48" mainland US and Hawaiian Airlines destinations beyond Hawaii will be required to use two AAdvantage awards for each one-way journey.
(JonNYC)
Also note, courtesy of JonNYC:

• Itineraries to/from Central, South America or Transatlantic that include Hawaiian Airlines (HA) will not price as one award and are only valid if multiple award(s) are claimed.

• Awards specific to travel between Hawaii and North America do not include inter-island flights (N. America - Hawai'i awards on HA are no longer allowed.)

• Awards specific to Inter-island travel allow a maximum of 1 flight segments.
Redeem AAdvantage miles for travel on Hawaiian Airlines flights and between Hawaii (not the mainland - a separate award on AA or other eligible airline, no longer HA) and:
  • American Samoa
  • Australia
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • New Zealand
  • Tahiti
  • Taiwan
  • U.S
NOTE: Passengers on domestic or ConUS - Island flights pay $25 for the first bag, other than First Class travel.

Updated 22 Jan 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Earning and Redeeming AA Miles on HA / Hawaiian Airlines (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
As to record locator numbers. Earlier this year I booked a flight using AA miles -- HNL/BNE.

That was 65K AA miles to go business class from HNL to SYD (the new configuration of their A330's makes that a nice option). As the flight is scheduled to arrive at 7:30PM, I configured with an overnight (staying at the Rydges hotel attached to the international terminal), with a next day 1PM flight on Qantas Business class leaving from the domestic terminal. Let's us get a night's sleep and not bother with the harrying rush between the two terminals.

The point here is having made the flight arrangements I was able to get the HA and Qantas record locators readily -- useful for controlling seat assignments.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:07 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I have a few upcoming HA flights (both to mainland & interisland) booked directly with HA. According to aa.com, these flights are not excluded from earning AA miles. Am I reading the page correctly? TIA.

LAX
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by LAX
I have a few upcoming HA flights (both to mainland & interisland) booked directly with HA. According to aa.com, these flights are not excluded from earning AA miles. Am I reading the page correctly? TIA.

LAX
Mainland HA flights booked directly with HA are excluded from earning AA miles, I'm pretty sure. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Is there a simple way to find which HA flights are also AA code shares?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:51 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by GaryD
Mainland HA flights booked directly with HA are excluded from earning AA miles, I'm pretty sure. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Is there a simple way to find which HA flights are also AA code shares?
I looked that that website again and realized I missed the "eligible" regions at the top previously. Basically, only TPAC & interisland flights earn AA miles even if they are straight HA-coded flights.

LAX
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would not assume that the "eligible regions" list is correct and that Domestic US travel is excluded based on that
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:44 pm

Limited Hawaiian Airlines availability using AAdvantage miles?

I know that it's possible to book Hawaiian Airlines intra-Hawaii flights using AAdvantage miles. I've also been able to verify that Hawaiian's own award availability exactly matches American's for intra-Hawaii flights (HNL-OGG, for example).

I also know that HNL-mainland flights are not permitted using AAdvantage miles.

I'm looking to book PPG-HNL, which doesn't belong in either category.

I see low-level business availability on Hawaiian on September 21 and 24 (and no other dates), which exactly coincides with the two dates that are bookable using AAdvantage miles.
However, I see MANY dates on Hawaiian's website where low-level economy seats are available, but zero of these are bookable using AAdvantage miles.

It seems strange that the inventories match exactly, aside from economy bookings on this one route. Has anyone encountered this before?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Not really. Hawaiian controls what is available to AA. HA may choose to limit S. Pacific and/or International award travel availability to AA, while having a different strategy for interisland award travel. Nothing strange about that. In theory, every HA route could have different availability on AA.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I booked a Hawaiian flight inter island using American Airlines miles. How do I find the Hawaiian Airlines record locator? Can I make seat selections for a trip in May as a Platinum Elite?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've booked two Hawaiian tickets on aa.com One is a paid ticket with an aa segment and a Hawaiian segment. I can pull up the reservation in aa.com and choose print and it will show me my booking with ticket #'s. I can then enter this ticket number with my last name on the Hawaiian Airlines website to pull up my Hawaiian itinerary. However, it won't allow me to select seats.

On the second ticket, an inter island ticket on Hawaiian, booked on the aa.com website, I select print and it just tries to print the web page, different behavior from the above PNR. So I'm unable to find the ticket # to look up this reservation on the Hawaiian Airlines website.

Any suggestions for either issue?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Seems it's no longer possible to get a checked bag discount (for being an HA ff member) on inter island HA flights for tickets issued by AA ir other airlines. Ticket need to be booked via HA in order to be eligible for the discount.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Did you change the frequent flyer # to your Hawaiian frequent flyer # (call Hawaiian to do this)?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
For flying between HNL and PPG, I know that HA only flies twice a week, but I can't find any availability on AA.com. Do you need to call in to find availability?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by davidsc111
Did you change the frequent flyer # to your Hawaiian frequent flyer # (call Hawaiian to do this)?
I did and no dice for getting the discount on checked bag. The exclusion/restriction is written in the fine print
Old May 2, 2019, 8:53 pm

Booked saver award HNL-AKL in J earlier with AA miles, no problem. Now I'm looking to book AKL-HNL, and expertflyer shows plenty of direct flight availability in J, many dates. But these flights are not showing on aa.com. If I call AA, will they find the flights, or just refer me to the website?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:36 am

Hawaiian Airlines Partner Earning Question

Checking to confirm if my read of earning AA miles on Hawaiian Airlines flights is correct:

1) Any HA flight earns at minimum AA "award" miles, based on actual distance and fare class. However, 2) Only HA-AA codeshare flights are eligible to earn "qualifying" award miles

Specifically, in the case of purchasing a HA flight from HNL to PPT, AA miles earned would be actual distance flown award miles only, with a 50% bonus in an eligible business/first fare class? (There doesn't appear to be any AA codeshare flights on this route. Basically I just want to confirm this routing does at least earn award miles eligible for crediting to AA.)

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.