Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum with NEW Million Miler Program! (>1 Dec 2011)

Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Lifetime Gold / Platinum with NEW Million Miler Program!
(or crossed another million mile threshold- program since 01 Dec 2011)

Congratulations to our new Lifetime Gold and Platinum members!

AAdvantage® Million MilerSM program, a summary:

. . . • As of 1 Dec 2011, base miles earned by flying on AA, its affiliate carriers* or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count towards Million Miler status. (Mileage minimum guarantees do not count, nor do class of service, etc. bonus miles.)

. . . • Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World Elite™ MasterCard® credit card account holders spending $40,000 in one calendar year will earn 10,000 EQ Miles*.

. . . •

AAdvantage Members will enjoy the following benefits when Million Miler status is reached:

. . . • At one million (1,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Gold® status and 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles**

. . . • At two million (2,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Platinum® status and four (4) one-way systemwide upgrades

. . . • At each additional Million Miler mark, AAdvantage members will receive four (4) additional one-way systemwide upgrades. (No additional status is earned.)

. . . • All members' beginning Million Miler balance on 1 Dec 2011 included every AAdvantage mile ever earned in the program.

. . . • As of 1 Dec 2011, Million Miler activity is displayed in your AAdvantage account on AA.com separately from award miles.

*One mile for every dollar spent on eligible purchases using the new Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World Elite™ MasterCard® credit card that posted to billing statements through December 2012 counted toward Million Miler status*. The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World Elite™ MasterCard® credit card account had to have been open and in good standing by December 1, 2011.

**American Eagle® or the AmericanConnection®

See How American AAdvantage Turned Its Back On Lifetime Elite Customers in 2017 by Gary Leff on May 17, 2017

The other active and archived threads discussing the American Airlines AAdvantage Million Miler Program are:

Wiki: AAdvantage Million Miler Program Launched on 1 Dec 2011.

ARCHIVE: Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum! million miles - brag etc. (ended 30 Nov 2011)

Million Miles / Million Miler Program ARCHIVE
Print Wikipost

Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum with NEW Million Miler Program! (>1 Dec 2011)

Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
I think what both airlines should have done is to grandfather the benefits already earned, recalculate (or estimate, if necessary) all existing accounts, and then set new MM benefits that reasonably reflect the difficulty of reaching the milestones under the new plan.
AA did grandfather existing benefits. They allowed all of us who had earned miles from anything other than BIS to keep those miles in our MM accounts even after the change. They also gave us more than six months' warning that the change was coming -- and loads of people were able to adjust their mileage earning in such a way as to achieve MM status (or get close enough to fly the rest in, like me) before the change.

AA had an incredibly generous plan for a very long time. Loads and loads of people were able to achieve LT status without ever setting foot a plane. Now they're restricting the benefit to people who actually fly -- I see nothing whatsoever wrong with that.

Of course, it's easy for me to say because I made it to LT PLT recently. I understand it's a lot more depressing for people who still have a long way to go, but I'd still say the same even if I hadn't yet made it. The gravy train had to stop some time.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by 2millionquest
AA did grandfather existing benefits. They allowed all of us who had earned miles from anything other than BIS to keep those miles in our MM accounts even after the change. They also gave us more than six months' warning that the change was coming -- and loads of people were able to adjust their mileage earning in such a way as to achieve MM status (or get close enough to fly the rest in, like me) before the change.

AA had an incredibly generous plan for a very long time. Loads and loads of people were able to achieve LT status without ever setting foot a plane. Now they're restricting the benefit to people who actually fly -- I see nothing whatsoever wrong with that.

Of course, it's easy for me to say because I made it to LT PLT recently. I understand it's a lot more depressing for people who still have a long way to go, but I'd still say the same even if I hadn't yet made it. The gravy train had to stop some time.
I don't think you quite got my point, so let me give you an example. AA currently has no level that will give you EXP, which is just as well, given how many people have probably blown past 3MM or 4MM long ago with 100%+ mileage bonuses and credit cards. However, if they adjusted old accounts to the new scale, they could set it at maybe 3MM with a much smaller number of instant EXPs, yet still have a goal that is achievable within the lifetime of a busy traveler who hits EXP most years. Maybe your account would drop below 2MM at first, but you'd keep your lifetime Plat and have a new goal to aim for.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:20 am

I don't think you quite got my point, so let me give you an example. AA currently has no level that will give you EXP, which is just as well, given how many people have probably blown past 3MM or 4MM long ago with 100%+ mileage bonuses and credit cards. However, if they adjusted old accounts to the new scale, they could set it at maybe 3MM with a much smaller number of instant EXPs, yet still have a goal that is achievable within the lifetime of a busy traveler who hits EXP most years. Maybe your account would drop below 2MM at first, but you'd keep your lifetime Plat and have a new goal to aim for.
Yes, I did miss your point. In fact, I had no idea that's what you were talking about. You're right that AA has never had LT EXP, and I don't blame them. If they did, people would reach it and then rarely fly AA again, instead choosing to focus on gaining status with another airline. Giving away LT EXP would be shooting themselves in the foot. The fact that people have to work each and every year to gain EXP means they at least actually put their butts on AA flights and more money in AA's coffers. That's as it should be.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Yes, I did miss your point. In fact, I had no idea that's what you were talking about. You're right that AA has never had LT EXP, and I don't blame them. If they did, people would reach it and then rarely fly AA again, instead choosing to focus on gaining status with another airline. Giving away LT EXP would be shooting themselves in the foot. The fact that people have to work each and every year to gain EXP means they at least actually put their butts on AA flights and more money in AA's coffers. That's as it should be.
While there's some truth to that, a well-designed program includes a combination of benefits for later (your "retirement plan"), along with benefits you can use now to encourage you to keep flying. For example, the old UA MM program offered some free upgrades each year, which are obviously only useful if you do fly, in addition to the usual upgrades that you would still earn by hitting the regular annual milestones.

They also had some diverse and interesting plateau rewards, including contest entries, personalized merchandise, and elite status gifting, as well as more traditional mileage and upgrade bonuses, most of which had relatively little cost to UA or impact on the rest of us. This made the UA MM milestone targets worth aiming for, even with the most strict mileage definition in the industry (UA-only BIS), but also kept you going afterwards. Unfortunately for me, the clueless CO management eliminated all such continuing-travel incentives, which made the switch to AA much easier.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
If they did, people would reach it and then rarely fly AA again, instead choosing to focus on gaining status with another airline.
I'd guess that most people wouldn't do that. I know I wouldn't. It would seem to make little sense to have EXP on AA and then fly another airline where I had lesser, or no status. If I had LT EXP, I'd fly AA. Likely not 100K per year, though, so the rest of your point makes sense. Not so much this part.

Cheers.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:23 pm

While there's some truth to that, a well-designed program includes a combination of benefits for later (your "retirement plan"), along with benefits you can use now to encourage you to keep flying. For example, the old UA MM program offered some free upgrades each year, which are obviously only useful if you do fly, in addition to the usual upgrades that you would still earn by hitting the regular annual milestones.

They also had some diverse and interesting plateau rewards, including contest entries, personalized merchandise, and elite status gifting, as well as more traditional mileage and upgrade bonuses, most of which had relatively little cost to UA or impact on the rest of us. This made the UA MM milestone targets worth aiming for, even with the most strict mileage definition in the industry (UA-only BIS), but also kept you going afterwards. Unfortunately for me, the clueless CO management eliminated all such continuing-travel incentives, which made the switch to AA much easier.
Originally Posted by brp
I'd guess that most people wouldn't do that. I know I wouldn't. It would seem to make little sense to have EXP on AA and then fly another airline where I had lesser, or no status. If I had LT EXP, I'd fly AA. Likely not 100K per year, though, so the rest of your point makes sense. Not so much this part.

Cheers.
I understand both your points, but I still see why AA doesn't offer LT EXP. If you've already earned LT EXP on AA and you fly 100K a year, why would you give that 100K to AA when you won't earn anything extra for doing so? Why not give that 100K to UA or DL and get top-tier status with them too?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:36 pm

I understand both your points, but I still see why AA doesn't offer LT EXP. If you've already earned LT EXP on AA and you fly 100K a year, why would you give that 100K to AA when you won't earn anything extra for doing so? Why not give that 100K to UA or DL and get top-tier status with them too?
Even ignoring the unique benefits of AA, like friendly employees who seem to actually care about me, I can get upgraded on 4 international roundtrips per year (or more if they gave me extra SWUs for MM status) vs. 3 on UA (if I play the W fare lottery and am lucky). By the time I finished using all my SWUs on AA, I'd probably qualify for EXP again without even trying!

By the way, now that AA does require you to actually fly the miles, they're more likely to get people who will keep flying with them, versus some of the previous flyers who may have been more loyal to Citibank than AA.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Why would I want top tier on an airline whose frequent flier program I don't think is as good (presumably the reason I'm with AA is that I prefer AAdvantage)? Why wouldn't I just fly the airline that treats me better? Use the EXP ine? Get free upgrades?

Having a shiny card on another airline as top tier would hold no benefit in this scenario.

Cheers.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Why would I want top tier on an airline whose frequent flier program I don't think is as good (presumably the reason I'm with AA is that I prefer AAdvantage)? Why wouldn't I just fly the airline that treats me better? Use the EXP ine? Get free upgrades?

Having a shiny card on another airline as top tier would hold no benefit in this scenario.

Cheers.
It's not just about having a shiny card; it's about more options. We all know that AA's route structure isn't always the most convenient; their network partners can't always get us where we're going in the most efficient way either. We put up with that because we need to keep all our eggs in one basket if we want to keep our status. Take that requirement away, and I'm betting there are many who would put convenience and efficiency before loyalty.

I personally agree with you (and NiceLanding) that AA's program is the best of the bunch and, yes, I too would stick with AA even if I had guaranteed EXP year in and year out, but I'm certain there are others who don't necessarily see things the same way we do.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 6:39 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Crossed 1MM on AA a few nights ago flying back from HNL and looking forward to the next MM!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M
Made it to the first million! Ironically on a regional jet DFW - GSP
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Made it to 1 million. Finally!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack
Made it to the first million! Ironically on a regional jet DFW - GSP
Originally Posted by waddonyc
Made it to 1 million. Finally!
Congrats! I've just had the slightly painful experience (in a 1st world way) of seeing my 'program to date' miles click past the 2m mark whilst still being a few years of flying away from LT Plat.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
Congrats! I've just had the slightly painful experience (in a 1st world way) of seeing my 'program to date' miles click past the 2m mark whilst still being a few years of flying away from LT Plat.
I'm 600k away if it makes you feel better.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA-LT Plat
Finally made it to 2MM! Figured it was a good time to make my first post!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.