Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
AA Passenger Protection for Itineraries Using Separate AA / oneworld Tickets in SAME PNR
(applies to AA, not other oneworld carriers' policies)
American Airlines policy: Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets in the SAME PNR:
COLOR]
. . .
Link for a printable PDF; (see "oneworld Reaccommodations: Separate Tickets" within).

NOTE: as oneworld have changed their policy to not require through-checking and misconnect protection of member airlines as of 1 Jun 2016 (AY, BA, QF, QR have already changed their policies and no longer offer these prior alliance passenger services), be aware AA could potentially change their policies at any time if they choose to.

AA to/from Non-oneworld Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld Carrier in the Same PNR

Customers should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

AA - Updated 8 APR 2020

2018 link link as of 11 May 2018.
24 June 2019 link https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...ty_(irops).pdf

3 October 2019 link

If the ticket was issued on/after April 8, 2020 see Schedule Irregularity/IROPS on/after 08APR2020

This Wikipost is up to date as of Sept 2021

OLD links (dead)
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20and%20Ticketing%20Index.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Baggage%20-%20Through%20Checked%20Baggage%20with%20Separate%2 0Tickets.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20Index.pdf

Print Wikipost

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
I'm traveling on the end of an AY ticket (and stock) from HEL-ARN (arrive at 210pm) and then on BA to LHR (return portion of AA ticket with 001 stock) at 340pm. Would I be covered in this case?
Also, what is the likelihood of being able to check my bags straight through HEL-ARN-LHR at the AY check in counter at HEL?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
I'm traveling on the end of an AY ticket (and stock) from HEL-ARN (arrive at 210pm) and then on BA to LHR (return portion of AA ticket with 001 stock) at 340pm. Would I be covered in this case?
Also, what is the likelihood of being able to check my bags straight through HEL-ARN-LHR at the AY check in counter at HEL?
In my opinion, it's only plated 001; you're not flying AA, so you have to rely on BA for this one in terms of protection, not AA. But as baggage is oneworld to oneworld, you should be able to check through.

You might ask BA to put a TCP annotation in your PNR with your connecting flight annotation if it's a BA flight.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Booked DFW-FRA-TXL-CPH on an AA award ticket one PNR., if we misconnect at FRA would I go to AA or AB for assistance? I assume AB does not have a FRA-CPH but another Oneworld carrier might so AA might be better able to get us to Copenhagen quicker?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I assume AB does not have a FRA-CPH but another Oneworld carrier might"

Nope. Neither FRA nor CPH is a hub for any oneworld carrier.

It is typically the responsibility of the late-delivering carrier to re-route you, so I would talk to AA. And if there is a substantial delay in the departure of your DFW-FRA flight, such that you are likely to mis-connect in FRA, I would ask AA to re-route you out of DFW (perhaps via LHR or MAD).
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:50 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Protection for Misconnects on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Originally Posted by TechMarauder
This very question was answered two posts above yours.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

It is typically the responsibility of the late-delivering carrier to re-route you, so I would talk to AA.
  • This question does not belong in this thread, which is specific to two tickets, different PNRs
  • Anyway, in FRA AB will have to fix this as AA has no way to transport you from FRA to CPH. I would be pretty sure AA staff (if any) would shrug and point you to AB to figure things out.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Anyway, in FRA AB will have to fix this as AA has no way to transport you from FRA to CPH."

The question of which carrier will ultimately transport the passenger to the final destination, and which carrier is responsible for making the arrangements are two very different questions.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:51 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zaynab
This question does not belong in this thread, which is specific to two tickets, different PNRs
Anyway, in FRA AB will have to fix this as AA has no way to transport you from FRA to CPH. I would be pretty sure AA staff (if any) would shrug and point you to AB to figure things out.
Agree that this question does not belong in this thread but disagree on second point. AA will still be responsible for rebooking if the delivering carrier (in this case AA) is late. AA staff at airport or AA central reservations will have to rebook either on AB, LH, or some other carrier.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
Need a bit of advice. I will be traveling AA longhaul with someone who is meeting me in DFW to travel onward. I will be flying in from ORD, companion from IAH, both on AA. Since we will be on separate PNRs to start, but share a the second PNR -- is it safe to assume we can both check bags all the way through? And if one of us somehow misconnects -- can the other still be protected?

Last edited by Kreative03; Apr 5, 2015 at 12:00 am
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
You can both certainly check bags through; but I gather the intent of your question has to do with payment or lack thereof. Assuming your companion has no status, I would expect that s/he would not be able to check bags for free starting at IAH, since (a) you are not checking in together and (b) their IAH-DFW is as I understand on a different PNR than the one you share. Either way I would expect at a minimum a charge from IAH-DFW; possibly if you both collect bags at DFW (short check) - then meet landside, and check in together on your long-haul, at least you would get the baggage allowance for that.

As for protection, if both legs are on AA, yes, generally AA will protect both of you even though there are separate PNRs to and from DFW. That said, let's say you do not misconnect but they do - they may be protected on another flight, but likely you would have to keep your original flight since you showed up on time. But that's my best understanding; others may see this differently.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:52 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Protection for Misconnects on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

The. PNR will have to be split if one of you have to be reaccomodate on a different flight.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:43 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by guv1976

"For example say the ORD-DCA is delayed/cancelled, can I ask AA to put me directly to ORD-BUF?"

Yes.
On that note, does the 300 mile radius rule apply if IROPS or schedule change occur? I would prefer ORD-YYZ or DCA-YYZ if an unlikely delay or cancellation happens.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Agreed. It is AA-OA or OA-AA. Until US is under the SOC, it's not AA. A kindly agent might help out, but that is not something to plan on.
Took the plunge, booked a flight LHR-ORY to compliment my previous itinerary ending at LHR. This won't be flown until the end of December, so I strongly suspect that it will all be AA by then under one flight certificate.

Do you guys recommend that I call each airline and alert them to the other itinerary, or what?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:03 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dml105
Took the plunge, booked a flight LHR-ORY to compliment my previous itinerary ending at LHR. This won't be flown until the end of December, so I strongly suspect that it will all be AA by then under one flight certificate.

Do you guys recommend that I call each airline and alert them to the other itinerary, or what?
They are already under one operating certificate; guess no more CATCUS callsign.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: EXP
I am receiving conflicting information about ticket protection on AA to Oneworld on separate ticket. I was booked 26 May AA945 DFW-SCL Arriving 27 May, 001 ticket. Connect on LAN932 SCL-MDZ on 045 ticket stock. DFW-SCL segment is delayed 12hrs causing misconnect to SCL. Multiple agents (Exec Plat desk and DFW agents) have said that they cannot protect me on a flight SCL-MDZ. Is the information I am receiving correct? How would I explain to an agent that AA has to honor my connection to MDZ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.