Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
AA Passenger Protection for Itineraries Using Separate AA / oneworld Tickets in SAME PNR
(applies to AA, not other oneworld carriers' policies)
American Airlines policy: Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets in the SAME PNR:
COLOR]
. . .
Link for a printable PDF; (see "oneworld Reaccommodations: Separate Tickets" within).

NOTE: as oneworld have changed their policy to not require through-checking and misconnect protection of member airlines as of 1 Jun 2016 (AY, BA, QF, QR have already changed their policies and no longer offer these prior alliance passenger services), be aware AA could potentially change their policies at any time if they choose to.

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR

Customers should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

AA - Updated 8 APR 2020

2018 link link as of 11 May 2018.
24 June 2019 link https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...ty_(irops).pdf

3 October 2019 link

If the ticket was issued on/after April 8, 2020 – see Schedule Irregularity/IROPS on/after 08APR2020

This Wikipost is up to date as of Sept 2021

OLD links (dead)
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20and%20Ticketing%20Index.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Baggage%20-%20Through%20Checked%20Baggage%20with%20Separate%2 0Tickets.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20Index.pdf

Print Wikipost

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 7:51 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rooivalk
does anyone know whether this is still in effect? I am connecting from AA to CX on separate tickets, with only 1 hour and 45 minutes connecting time and would like to check if AA will protect me incase of delays and I miss my CX flight

Thanks
This policy is still on the website and (I believe) this policy is only in effect if the two itineraries meets minimum connection time to begin with.
Old May 17, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.2MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by acrollet
And I suppose people shouldn't be in the situation of having connecting but separately ticketed flights that often.
It can crop up for me. We once got a dirt cheap business class fare to Madrid on AA through AAvacations. Our real destination was Paris. Iberia was a fraction of the price of AA or BA for Madrid-Paris-Madrid. As luck would have it, the AA flight was late, and we missed our connection. The Iberia staff was absolutely wonderful in getting us on the next flight to Paris!

More recently connected AA to LAN in Miami. LAN was a bargain redemption of BA Avios to South America. We just paid cash for AA to Miami. Connections were fine both ways. Several others on the same tour did similar things. Unfortunately, one other couple got an agent who did know how to check their luggage through so they had to haul bags through the Miami airport, but made their connection anyway.

Last edited by olddallas; May 17, 2014 at 6:46 am
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
I will be flying JFK-SJU-MIA-DOH-BKK and JFK-SJU flight had a major schedule change (about 2 hours).
Now, JFK-SJU flight gets into SJU with less than 30 minutes to connect to MIA flight (also on AA).
JFK-SJU is on AA (using voucher) and SJU-MIA-DOH-BKK is a US award ticket.
Since AA caused the disruption, should AA reroute me to BKK? (There is a later SJU-MIA flight AA operates).
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by kkjay77
I will be flying JFK-SJU-MIA-DOH-BKK and JFK-SJU flight had a major schedule change (about 2 hours).
Now, JFK-SJU flight gets into SJU with less than 30 minutes to connect to MIA flight (also on AA).
JFK-SJU is on AA (using voucher) and SJU-MIA-DOH-BKK is a US award ticket.
Since AA caused the disruption, should AA reroute me to BKK? (There is a later SJU-MIA flight AA operates).
Your best option is to ask AA to re-book you onto an earlier JFK-SJU flight, which they will happily do in view of the major schedule change. AA bears no responsibility for the remaining flights since you purchased them independently of the AA ticket. AA has not caused any disruption.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Your best option is to ask AA to re-book you onto an earlier JFK-SJU flight, which they will happily do in view of the major schedule change. AA bears no responsibility for the remaining flights since you purchased them independently of the AA ticket. AA has not caused any disruption.
but kkjay77 is connecting from AA to AA with a ticket issued by a oneworld carrier, the above clause (in the wiki and as stated on aa.com) would certainly apply that they should be treated as a through-ticketed passenger?!

Last edited by evanderm; Aug 27, 2014 at 8:13 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by evanderm
but the person posting is connecting from AA to AA with a ticket issued by a oneworld carrier, the above clause (in the wiki) would certainly apply that they should be treated as a through-ticketed passenger?!
I'm not sure it is quite as clear cut as that. The rule you refer to talks about schedule irregularity and not schedule change. This suggests emergent events rather than planned changes. However, having said that, I'd be very surprised if AA wouldn't willingly reschedule down-the-line itineraries that are impacted by a schedule change.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:39 am
Original Member
Original Poster

AA's definition

SCHEDULE CHANGE
A planned change or cancellation of a flight which occurs prior to the day of departure, but can occur up to more than 72 hours before the scheduled departure. Examples - Change of flight times, change of flight numbers, reduction of service, discontinuation of all service in a market.

SCHEDULE IRREGULARITY
An unplanned change or cancellation that normally occurs on the day of departure, but can occur up to 72 hours prior to the schedule departure. Examples - mechanical, ATC (Air Traffic Control), crew legality, weather, etc. View Schedule Irregularity procedures.

The policy this thread refers to appears to cover irregularity. However it never hurts to call.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by evanderm
but kkjay77 is connecting from AA to AA with a ticket issued by a oneworld carrier, the above clause (in the wiki and as stated on aa.com) would certainly apply that they should be treated as a through-ticketed passenger?!
AA has not yet disrupted the OP as the travel has not happened yet. As long as AA delivers the OP to the destination on time (new re-scheduled time notified to the OP in advance) this won't be considered a disruption. There have been no changes in the subsequent flights' schedule and US (as the ticketing agent) will be reluctant to change the flights unless the fare rules are followed. AA will have no problem to change to an earlier flight on its own ticket as it is covered by their own TCs (schedule changes of over 90 minutes). The original inventory will not be required.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Does anyone know if LCC has a similar policy? I absolutely hate that LCC has taken over some of the routes we fly the most. Makes me sick. Unfortunately, we might have to book separate tickets on LCC to get to SFO, then connect to CX as the great fare I'm seeing on CX is only available when I buy from them, not when I buy from AA or LCC. I wish it was going to be an AA stock ticket, as I'm much more familiar with the AA numbers, etc. God forbid something goes wrong, and I have to call LCC to get us rerouted to Bali ... does not sound fun.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seawolf
AA's definition

SCHEDULE CHANGE
A planned change or cancellation of a flight which occurs prior to the day of departure, but can occur up to more than 72 hours before the scheduled departure. Examples - Change of flight times, change of flight numbers, reduction of service, discontinuation of all service in a market.

SCHEDULE IRREGULARITY
An unplanned change or cancellation that normally occurs on the day of departure, but can occur up to 72 hours prior to the schedule departure. Examples - mechanical, ATC (Air Traffic Control), crew legality, weather, etc. View Schedule Irregularity procedures.
Yes, big difference. Further, interestingly, the internal definition includes some interesting further distinctions in the example section:

An unplanned change, including delays greater than 2 hours (one hour for Elite customers), or cancellation which usually occurs on the day of departure but can occur up to 3 days (72 hours) prior to departure.

Example:
Delays of 2 or more hours (Greater 1 hour for Gold/Platinum, Executive Platinum, ConceirgeKey and full Y/J/F)
Weather
Crew Legality
Mechanical
Flight diversion
Air Traffic Control (ATC)
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
For the route on two separate records:

1. TPE-HKG on CX (J booked via USDM miles)

100 min connection

2. HKG-DFW-LAX on AA (revenue fare upgraded Y->J via SWU)

If I happen to mis-connect (on a legal MCT), anyone know if CX would protect me into business class back to LAX?

And is there anything special we need to do or who to call to link the separate records?

TIA!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:33 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Protection for Misconnects on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

You would most likely deal with AA in getting rebooked as there is nothing to indicate this is an alliance-wide policy.

I believe AA does have a policy to rebook you in J even on an upgrade.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seawolf
I believe AA does have a policy to rebook you in J even on an upgrade.
That policy is to address passengers who are displaced from upgraded AA flights specially due to schedule irregularity:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showp...6&postcount=42
http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=4870

In the case of simply missing a connection as described, it wouldn't apply.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That policy is to address passengers who are displaced from upgraded AA flights specially due to schedule irregularity:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showp...6&postcount=42
http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=4870

In the case of simply missing a connection as described, it wouldn't apply.
So how would CX take care of this issue since they are the responsible carrier if something happens? Rebooked into CX Y back to lax?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by frudd38
So how would CX take care of this issue since they are the responsible carrier if something happens? Rebooked into CX Y back to lax?
That's what I'd expect, obviously there might be some other, better, arrangement as an accommodation (CX premium economy or whatever) but I'd just say not to expect business class since even under sched irreg where the policy exists, it seems to exist much more on JBV partners and is spotty on CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.