Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HNL / Honolulu Shared Admirals Club & JL Sakura Lounge (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Honolulu Shared Admirals Club and Sakura Lounge
Overseas Terminal, Central Lobby, Across from Central Security Checkpoint and Ralph Lauren Store
On Third Floor Above The Local@HNL Restaurant

Link to HNL information on aa.com.
Link to HNL web site

See here for map.

Hours: The hours are posted by JL. http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/lounge/america/hnl/. aa.com HNL Club information here: link.

Amenities:
not listed.
Print Wikipost

HNL / Honolulu Shared Admirals Club & JL Sakura Lounge (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Passing through here later this month....any recent reports?
Old Mar 12, 2022, 9:53 am

Well, the travel covid restrictions don't go away until the 26th, so I wouldn't expect there to be any change before then.

Even after the 26th, there are still going to be masking requirements (if I read the website correctly) so it could be that the plexiglass stays up for a while longer.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by smithrh
An odd experience - way too much plexiglass.

Friendly staff, to be sure, but it's empty and sterile at this point.

Like someone else said, minimized my time here and left to go elsewhere.

Hopefully the state backs the regulations off just a tad in the near future.

Not sure if Hawaii state guidelines are what continue to impact this lounge. I thought all the plexiglass and limited service were to meet JAL requirements/restrictions, since it is mostly a Sakura lounge? (aside from AA front desk agents, the rest of the lounge is serviced/catered by a third party hospitality contractor under agreement with JAL)

(I guess I was making the assumption that Japan's govt covid restrictions are much more invasive than those of any US state, especially since Japan continues to be closed to all foreign visitors and masking requirements remain.)
Old Mar 12, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Passing through here later this month....any recent reports?
I was there last fall. It was virtually empty. Food service was very limited but what they did have was decent - on par with a mainland Admirals club, maybe a bit better. It was a far cry from before the pandemic. Food and liquor were all served from behind plexi. They had a soup, noodles, some bread and cheese, fruit, and a handful of wines and other alcohol. Coffee and soda if I'm not mistaken were self-serve.

To be quite honest it really wasn't that much pre-pandemic, but for Hawaii the bar is pretty low. It beats sweating your balls off in the terminals. On the plus side it appeared to be lightly refreshed with newer furniture and outlets everywhere. Restrooms are just outside the lounge and way nicer than the ones in the terminals too.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by ajf87
Restrooms are just outside the lounge and way nicer than the ones in the terminals too.
Yep, Toto toilets too.
Tanic, robertablake and DC9 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Not sure if Hawaii state guidelines are what continue to impact this lounge. I thought all the plexiglass and limited service were to meet JAL requirements/restrictions, since it is mostly a Sakura lounge? (aside from AA front desk agents, the rest of the lounge is serviced/catered by a third party hospitality contractor under agreement with JAL)

(I guess I was making the assumption that Japan's govt covid restrictions are much more invasive than those of any US state, especially since Japan continues to be closed to all foreign visitors and masking requirements remain.)
I was assuming the requirements/restrictions were based on JAL/Japanense gov't as well, but maybe be driven by Hawaii's rule, or a combo of both?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:11 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I saw a sign there on Tuesday that effective 3/13 the hours are 10:30 am – 9:45 pm, and this is reflected on AA's website. This is the first time since the pandemic that I've been in the lounge, so I don't know if this represents an expansion of the operating hours.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Majuki
I saw a sign there on Tuesday that effective 3/13 the hours are 10:30 am – 9:45 pm, and this is reflected on AA's website. This is the first time since the pandemic that I've been in the lounge, so I don't know if this represents an expansion of the operating hours.
It was open until at least 10:30 pm a few months ago.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Not an expansion....looks like they are closing early which is a bummer if you're on a later red-eye.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Honestly, this lounge needs to up its game at this point. The whole "but I love the AAngels, their the best in the system" in HNL is a tired excuse at this point. My understanding is that UA and DL have substantially improved their F&B (and alcohol) offerings in their HNL clubs. The whole "Hawaii is making us do it" just isn't true any longer.

Regards
PACLipper and ExpatExp like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scubadu
Honestly, this lounge needs to up its game at this point. The whole "but I love the AAngels, their the best in the system" in HNL is a tired excuse at this point. My understanding is that UA and DL have substantially improved their F&B (and alcohol) offerings in their HNL clubs. The whole "Hawaii is making us do it" just isn't true any longer.

Regards
Agreed. Definitely some of the worst lounge offerings in the AA system currently (but unsure what barriers there still may be to making improvements at this point).
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Not an expansion....looks like they are closing early which is a bummer if you're on a later red-eye.
I was on a midday Alaska flight, but that's unfortunate if you're on a redeye back to the Mainland. I was among the few customers there at that time of day. There was a JAL flight leaving within 2 hours of the time I was there, so there were a handful of customers on that flight. (I saw JAL boarding passes.)

Originally Posted by metallo
Agreed. Definitely some of the worst lounge offerings in the AA system currently (but unsure what barriers there still may be to making improvements at this point).
Isn't it JAL who governs the lounge? That was my understanding that limited the food and beverage. However, perhaps they could do like what they did with the old QF/AA location and turn it more into an Admirals Club after the JAL flights depart.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip>
Isn't it JAL who governs the lounge? That was my understanding that limited the food and beverage. However, perhaps they could do like what they did with the old QF/AA location and turn it more into an Admirals Club after the JAL flights depart.
Yes, it is JAL that governs the lounge. However, it is also officially branded as an AA Admiral's Club (not a "partner" lounge) and AA should exert some pressure on JAL to return to more standard offerings. Much of what is going on (at least last time I was there) is just standard covid theater, which is not required by Hawaii or any other entity.

Regards
Old Mar 19, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Can I get access to this lounge if flying J on the HNL-DFW route? The website is a bit ambiguous.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:47 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Can I get access to this lounge if flying J on the HNL-DFW route? The website is a bit ambiguous.
Yes. That is sold as Flagship Business and qualifies for lounge access
Spiff and MSP_Monopoly like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.