Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HNL / Honolulu Shared Admirals Club & JL Sakura Lounge (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Honolulu Shared Admirals Club and Sakura Lounge
Overseas Terminal, Central Lobby, Across from Central Security Checkpoint and Ralph Lauren Store
On Third Floor Above The Local@HNL Restaurant

Link to HNL information on aa.com.
Link to HNL web site

See here for map.

Hours: The hours are posted by JL. http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/lounge/america/hnl/. aa.com HNL Club information here: link.

Amenities:
not listed.
Print Wikipost

HNL / Honolulu Shared Admirals Club & JL Sakura Lounge (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2021, 3:44 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Have been in and out of HNL regularly throughout the pandemic for work, but tonight was the first opportunity I had to stop at the AC in a while.

They say the lack of self-serve anything is a state requirement and if so, that's a shame, as it really detracts from the overall experience and enjoyment of the facility. It's also a shame that they don't have any of the hot dishes that were so appreciated pre-pandemic. And the plexiglass partitions they have installed between all the seating areas make it look similar (but not identical) to a prison visitors' room. The lounge has a very sterile feeling, unfortunately, which it never had before.

Still, the staff are great, and when they get rid of the partitions and the self-serve restrictions (and add back the hot dishes), it should be fine
Old Feb 13, 2022, 12:28 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Any recent updates to service offerings? Food/Drink?

Since it is a Admirals then we can use on arrival if needed as members?

Great to hear the staff is well regarded! An important detail often overlooked.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
Any recent updates to service offerings? Food/Drink?

Since it is a Admirals then we can use on arrival if needed as members?

Great to hear the staff is well regarded! An important detail often overlooked.
I was there on the 10th Feb. shortly after it opened at 11am. It was abundantly staffed and as welcoming as could be.
The problem is there's really nothing worth eating. I got the chicken karaage and it was almost inedible: cold, all breading with little meat and tasteless. The little fresh fruit dish was the only healthy offering. I was still hungry and went back and chose some chex mix just to fill me up. There wasn't much else to eat other than pastries or ramen. I didn't see any bottles of liquor anywhere and I had some red wine which was okay.

But it wasn't at all crowded and the quiet group who was there made that a plus.

I don't see why they wouldn't admit you as an arriving passenger, as all other domestic clubs do, but I'm not sure I would waste time stopping when there is so much better food and drink waiting in Hawaii.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
They say the lack of self-serve anything is a state requirement and if so, that's a shame, as it really detracts from the overall experience and enjoyment of the facility. It's also a shame that they don't have any of the hot dishes that were so appreciated pre-pandemic. And the plexiglass partitions they have installed between all the seating areas make it look similar (but not identical) to a prison visitors' room. The lounge has a very sterile feeling, unfortunately, which it never had before
I was there about a week ago with my spouse and we found the entire experience very stressful. We stayed for about 5 minutes and went to the bar downstairs. It's not just the club though. The entire HNL airport has really gone overboard with all the restrictions.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by AADFW
I was there about a week ago with my spouse and we found the entire experience very stressful. We stayed for about 5 minutes and went to the bar downstairs. It's not just the club though. The entire HNL airport has really gone overboard with all the restrictions.
Me did the same in September. We went to the restaurant downstairs for food and drinks since the offering in the lounge was so poor.
fotoflyer88 and AADFW like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:50 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by SFO voyageur
I don't see why they wouldn't admit you as an arriving passenger, as all other domestic clubs do, but I'm not sure I would waste time stopping when there is so much better food and drink waiting in Hawaii.
Indeed that I know - was just thinking after 5-6hrs of no meal service even a quick snack might be nice before I head out of the airport.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Indeed that I know - was just thinking after 5-6hrs of no meal service even a quick snack might be nice before I head out of the airport.
Depending on how soon you're arriving (i.e., with arrival restrictions), you may be filtered directly to the arrival doc check if you don't have a wristband. If you have a wristband, you'll have free reign of the airport after you get past the gate area.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Was just here this past weekend, and echo some of the other comments. The chicken nuggets Karaage was eh, chowder was decent, and the fruit was great. Alcoholic drink selections were limited to beer and wine (at least they didn’t advertise they were serving spirits).

It was absolutely dead when we were there (staff outnumbered guests) but that’s probably because it was an off hour for AA/JL (we were flying AS).
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Aero137
Was just here this past weekend, and echo some of the other comments. The chicken nuggets Karaage was eh, chowder was decent, and the fruit was great. Alcoholic drink selections were limited to beer and wine (at least they didn’t advertise they were serving spirits).

It was absolutely dead when we were there (staff outnumbered guests) but that’s probably because it was an off hour for AA/JL (we were flying AS).
Are food and drinks back to self-service yet?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
For awhile, they were allowing F class Hawaii passengers to access the lounge without a membership. Is that still the case?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Are food and drinks back to self-service yet?
Nope, everything was staff serviced.

Originally Posted by apeortdz
For awhile, they were allowing F class Hawaii passengers to access the lounge without a membership. Is that still the case?
This is only offered for “Flagship” service (so 787/777 service to DFW/ORD/CLT).
apeortdz likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:01 pm

An odd experience - way too much plexiglass.

Friendly staff, to be sure, but it's empty and sterile at this point.

Like someone else said, minimized my time here and left to go elsewhere.

Hopefully the state backs the regulations off just a tad in the near future.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Depending on how soon you're arriving (i.e., with arrival restrictions), you may be filtered directly to the arrival doc check if you don't have a wristband. If you have a wristband, you'll have free reign of the airport after you get past the gate area.
Good info. I should have a wristband since I'm vaccinated and the profile online shows I'm exempt?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:37 am

Good info. I should have a wristband since I'm vaccinated and the profile online shows I'm exempt?
I think this is a question?

In any case, you'll get a wristband from AA in the airport where you're leaving for HNL from. If you're connecting, it will likely not be at your origin.

Lines can be long, so plan ahead to wait 15-30 minutes in line. In the line, you'll need your vax card, ID that you submitted, and the QR code.

However, if time doesn't permit getting the wristband at the airport you will just go through that ID check at HNL. Once you are through that you're in the airport like everyone else and you can head to the lounge where they will immediately ask for ID and vax card again. Get used to it, it's all over - hotel, restaurants, car rental...
Old Feb 19, 2022, 6:11 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Whether you are able or choose to get a wrist band at the airport before your arrival or you are filtered into the doc check doesn't really matter. The doc check is at the beginning of the C gate area and once you are through the doc check then you can just walk to the Admirals Club which is in the main terminal area. Personally, I would not do it as the lounge is not that great. The people staff are nice as always but I consider it a poor offering and would opt for better options which would be about anything outside of the airport.
fotoflyer88 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.