Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (AA codeshare) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=3]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nitrobass24
I am AA CK and will likely book non-refundable first (P), since I dont think either way I get upgraded. Which I find odd since AS elites get UPGs on AA Metal.
Huh? AS elites don't get upgrades on AA metal. They get access to MCE - but that's not an upgrade.

Anyway the thread you want is this one: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-airlines.html
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
There are only four sticky threads on the first page that stay at the top. Any thread can have a wiki, and the threads with wikis on the first page are active threads with recent posts.

Here is a thread that you might find helpful:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-airlines.html

Other than that I'm not sure what elite benefits you are hoping to get.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nitrobass24
Which I find odd since AS elites get UPGs on AA Metal.
No, we don't.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I have no status with AS. Previously I would use my AA EXP credentials if I wanted a free bag on AS, but otherwise would use my DL DM status. (And when the Alaska BofA card added free bags in 2015 I would just always use my DL DM status.)

It's a shame that the AA partnership with AS isn't as good as the old DL partnership. I used to regularly get upgraded to first on AS on some routes using my DL DM number, and even on mileage awards (where I shouldn't have been upgraded).

Anyways, I recently flew on AS with a premium cabin and realized AA EXP doesn't even get access to that. I guess I'll have to be satisfied with premium seats.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:03 pm

Do EXP get third bag free on AS?

I am getting mixed responses from AS and AA. AAgent told me that as an EXP I should be able to get third bag checked in for free. AS told me that only the first two are free.

I know that AS 75k get three bags free on AA, is there a reciprocal benefit for EXP on AS?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Stated policy is 2 bags

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp

Scroll down to the Alaska Airlines section
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:11 pm

Ah, very well. I missed that part on the benefits page. Thank you @asf-07
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by rinipiyan
Ah, very well. I missed that part on the benefits page. Thank you @asf-07
For reference, the two bags that AA EXPs get on AS is the same as what AS MVPG 75k (their top tier) get on AS.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
are Alaska awards no longer showing on AA?

I've been searching flights from Seattle and there are zero AS flights showing up, seems odd.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA EP
R u searching from the flights page and not the homepage? Are u selecting all carriers?

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
are Alaska awards no longer showing on AA?

I've been searching flights from Seattle and there are zero AS flights showing up, seems odd.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:06 pm

Any word if VX flights are crediting to AA yet or when that will happen?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Any word if VX flights are crediting to AA yet or when that will happen?
It won't ever happen. As the wiki at the top of the page says, "As long as VX is not fully absorbed into AS - e.g. all flights are marketed as AS - no AAdvantage credit is earned flying VX. Alaska Air Group is to merge Virgin America with Alaska Airlines, including a single operating certificate, in 2019.)" At that point there will be no VX.

And as of January 1 2018 the only way to earn AA miles on an Alaska flight will be if that flight is booked under an AA codeshare.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:32 pm

re:

Code:
 Q: Do these benefits still apply if I am traveling on a flight
 booked as an AA flight number, which is operated by Alaska Airlines?

A: Whether your trip is booked as an AA flight number or the AS
 flight number, these benefits will apply.
I just booked operated by AS flights, AA flight numbers. I called AA Platinum desk to select seats and was told I could not select from the premium inventory because it was an AA-marketed flight. Is this correct?

update: I called and rec'd my PNRs from AS. Online, I can select exit rows, but not row 6.

Last edited by BOSdubair; Sep 4, 2017 at 3:47 pm
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by BOSdubair
re:

Code:
Q: Do these benefits still apply if I am traveling on a flight
booked as an AA flight number, which is operated by Alaska Airlines?

A: Whether your trip is booked as an AA flight number or the AS
flight number, these benefits will apply.

I just booked operated by AS flights, AA flight numbers. I called AA Platinum desk to select seats and was told I could not select from the premium inventory because it was an AA-marketed flight. Is this correct?

update: I called and rec'd my PNRs from AS. Online, I can select exit rows, but not row 6.
That's expected. Row 6 is Alaska's Premium Class. Though it's similar to AA's MCE, AS treats it as a separate cabin which you can only get upgraded to. It's complimentary, space-available upgrades for AS elites, but not AA elites.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Does anyone know how many AA EQMs are earned on AS with AS $99 companion fare? Have a friend who's close to EXP, trying to plan EOY flying. I booked a SEA-FLL RT with my $99 AS companion pass. Last time was able to get 100% EQM credit to AA, but that was late 2016.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.