Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (AA codeshare) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=3]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
These came in handy for me last October when I flew YVR-SEA-ANC as a Platinum. Got exit rows confirmed at booking (really nice on the fully loaded SEA-ANC), priority boarding at each station and a free checked bag. My kind of trip! Nice to see the BP indicated AA Plat on it too.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by djibouti
I have a flight SEA-LAX-SFO on AS then AA metal but both AA coded flights. Couldn't check in on AA.com. Is this normal?
Check in on the operating metal's site. I assume SEA-LAX is AS, so you can do OLCI on alaskaair.com.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Just was able to use my status for good and to help my friends. 4 of us booked SEA-LAS for a weekend getaway. They don't let you get Window/aisle+ Window/aisle in exit row, but we did get ABC+D in exit row due to my AA status and 'reciprocal' AS benefits. I'm sure no one will be checking bags (or I'll light in to them), so main benefit was just exit row seating. Better than nothing though...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:47 pm

Bumping for a question. Not sure if this might be better suited to the AS forum.

I'm booked on an AS-numbered, AS-operated flight (booked on AS.com), and currently have no relevant status. However, I will hit AA Plat prior to the flight. Will I be able to switch to a better Y seat after getting the status, and if so, any idea how I should do that? I imagine the AS site won't pick anything up, so I'd probably have to call AS/AA?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Bumping for a question. Not sure if this might be better suited to the AS forum.

I'm booked on an AS-numbered, AS-operated flight (booked on AS.com), and currently have no relevant status. However, I will hit AA Plat prior to the flight. Will I be able to switch to a better Y seat after getting the status, and if so, any idea how I should do that? I imagine the AS site won't pick anything up, so I'd probably have to call AS/AA?
When the program was first introduced, the AS site picked up my status immediately on flights that were already ticketed for myself and an employee of mine. You may need to call AS to get it updated, or it may just happen for you. I don't think calling AA is the right course of action, as this is an AS ticket and they will refer you to them. AS agents are helpful and nice to deal with, in my experience.
Old May 29, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS 100K
question:

I booked an LAX-SEA flight on aa.com with an AA PNR. When it comes to check in, can I check in online using the AA app or do I have to go to the AS counter? If I have to go to an AS counter, would AS still recognize my precheck access through my AA FF#?
Old May 29, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
question:

I booked an LAX-SEA flight on aa.com with an AA PNR. When it comes to check in, can I check in online using the AA app or do I have to go to the AS counter? If I have to go to an AS counter, would AS still recognize my precheck access through my AA FF#?
You can check in online at alaskaair.com or with the Alaska Airlines app using the Alaska record locator (call AA to obtain AS record locator).

Your AA status will be printed on your AA BP and you will benefit from everything that is published here that applies to your GLD status:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/alaska.jsp

Last edited by carlosdca; May 29, 2013 at 2:48 pm
Old May 29, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
question:

You'll have to check in with your AS PNR (call AA to get this) or if you check in at the airport you can do it with last name and flight #.

I can confirm Pre Check works on AS if you have it by way of Global Entry. If you have it by way of FF status from AA I believe that will *not* work.
Old May 29, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by jlin011
You'll have to check in with your AS PNR (call AA to get this) or if you check in at the airport you can do it with last name and flight #.

I can confirm Pre Check works on AS if you have it by way of Global Entry. If you have it by way of FF status from AA I believe that will *not* work.
I have pre-check on both AS and AA by the way of Nexus. I want to keep my AA FF# in the reservation since I want the miles to go to AA.

Would I still get precheck if the reservation has my AA FF#?
Old May 29, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
I have pre-check on both AS and AA by the way of Nexus. I want to keep my AA FF# in the reservation since I want the miles to go to AA.

Would I still get precheck if the reservation has my AA FF#?
That should work because your trusted traveler ID is your key to Pre-Check, not your FF#.

As long as your trusted traveler ID is filed with AS it should be okay (to do that, you'll have to call AA to get your AS PNR, then enter it on the website... AFAIK can't be done at the kiosk when you check-in)
Old May 29, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jlin011
I believe this is true as well, but I cannot confirm as I cleared by way of GE being in my AS profile. I highly doubt your pre-check through elite status would flow through.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Pleasantly Surprised

I had forgotten about these benefits when I booked a MR from AUS-DFW-SEA-ANC-SEA-DFW-AUS for this past weekend. The SEA-ANC-SEA AS flights were PACKED and having (preferred) seats up near the front certainly came in handy, especially since the plane was a 737-900! I was wondering why our BPs had our AA Elite status printed on them!

As a side note, having just gotten off of an AA 737, flying F, I really did notice how much more pitch AA affords in F vs. AS..
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA, SQ
You can also use the AA ticket number (The one that starts with 001) to check-in online on AlaskaAir.com without calling AA. Once you do this, you'll also get the Alaska PNR. Write that down (or put it in the AA trip name)
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
My boarding pass for an AS flight does not list my AA status on it. How will they know I qualify for priority boarding? Should I bring my AA card?

FWIW, my AA status is listed when I pull up my reservation on the AS website.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by maizenblue07
My boarding pass for an AS flight does not list my AA status on it. How will they know I qualify for priority boarding? Should I bring my AA card?

FWIW, my AA status is listed when I pull up my reservation on the AS website.
I can't remember what the BP looked like last time, but "partner elites" will be called with AS MVPs and those in row 6 (bulkhead row of economy), which is the second real group called (after pre-boards and First/MVP Gold/75K) and your AA elite card should get you past that hurdle quite easily. As this is one of the benefits that has been around for years (before the ones mentioned above in this thread), it's one that gate agents should have no problem interpreting and granting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.