Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
AA & AS add more reciprocal benefits.

I'm rather surprised that this hasn't been posted yet. If it has and I missed it, will the mods please move it to an appropriate place.

American Airlines and Alaska Airlines Team Up to Give Elite Frequent Flier Members More Benefits Than Ever Before

All American Airlines AAdvantage elite status members will be eligible for
  • Priority check-in and boarding
  • Two checked bags at no charge (within current weight and size limitations) when traveling on AS.

Executive Platinum and Platinum members will have access to:
  • Exclusive security screening lanes (where available)
  • Preferred seating on Alaska Airlines.

Last edited by ByrdluvsAWACO; Nov 8, 2011 at 5:42 pm
Old Nov 8, 2011, 5:40 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...26-2011-a.html

(Search term {"Alaska"})

I'm surprised as well.

Cheers.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 5:42 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I'm rather surprised that this hasn't been posted yet. If it has and I missed it, will the mods please move it to an appropriate place.
Consider it moved/merged. (And for the record, I used the same search term as brp to find the thread. ) /Moderator
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AUS2008
Thanks...but my main question (convoluted as it was) is:
Can I be booked under my AS number (not elite) and just show my AA Platinum card at checkin to get my free bags? Or do I have to be booked with my AA number?

If it's the 2nd, I'll just go with that and then have the Delta agent add the AS number when I get to SEA.
I suspect you'll have to have your AA number on the first segment to get AA benefits. Then when you get to the other DL flights have them add your AS number. You could always just put your AS number on the flights and then ask them when you check in. If they insist you use the AA # then show them your car and have them change it. Then have the other segments changed at the gate back to your AS number.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:49 pm

Programs: AAPLT, RR Alist
Originally Posted by mikelat
I suspect you'll have to have your AA number on the first segment to get AA benefits. Then when you get to the other DL flights have them add your AS number. You could always just put your AS number on the flights and then ask them when you check in. If they insist you use the AA # then show them your car and have them change it. Then have the other segments changed at the gate back to your AS number.
Thanks....really don't want to pay for 2 bags. I usually have just one, but won't be back in AK for awhile so I have a lot to bring back South. I'll switch to the AA number to start out and add the other later, as you said. ^
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even without reciprocal upgrades, at the end of the day, the new, camera-friendly, AAdvantage president, Maya Leibman, is just doing a FANTASTIC job with expanding the value of the AAdvantage program.

Lots of kudos! ^^^^^^^^
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: AAPLT, RR Alist
No need (at least in KTN) to have my AA# on the reservation to get my free checked bags. The flights (KTN-SEA-SLC-AUS) were booked by my work travel agent on Delta, she put my AS # on the reservation for me to get miles the whole way (normally do most of my flying on AA/AS) and all I had to do checking in at the airport was hand over my 2 checked bags and show the agent my AA Platinum card.

^
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by JDiver
... I doubt AC/BR reciprocity is coming, but it would be nice whilst flying on AS to access Board Rooms with my AC card.
I discovered rather limited AC/BR reciprocity when I was in SEA last week, traveling on an AA codeshare flight operated by AS to SFO. AC members get access to the AS Board Room only if flying on AA operated flights.

so I ended up waiting at the gate... not so bad with the SEA airport's free wifi.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by billgrates3
I discovered rather limited AC/BR reciprocity when I was in SEA last week, traveling on an AA codeshare flight operated by AS to SFO. AC members get access to the AS Board Room only if flying on AA operated flights.

so I ended up waiting at the gate... not so bad with the SEA airport's free wifi.
It can be any AA flight that day. E.g. I do JFK-SEA-PDX I can access in SEA based on my inbound AA b/p even though I'm connecting onto AS.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by living near shamu
I noticed that the AA page for these benefits on AS also says it may take up to 30 days for mileage to post. Doesn't sound like something I would want to risk closer to December. The whole "send us receipts, letter" etc can cause headaches at the end of the year if trying to requalify.
My miles for an AS flight I took 10 days ago posted in 6 days.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:25 pm

I want to purchase tickets now for a flight a few months away, but won't earn my AA gold until a few weeks from now. There should be no problem with using benefits after booking, right?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by napilimom
I want to purchase tickets now for a flight a few months away, but won't earn my AA gold until a few weeks from now. There should be no problem with using benefits after booking, right?
Right. In the rare event that the computer does not automatically update your status on existing AS reservations, give them a call.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
AS has added some new intra-California San Diego flights which we AA'ers can benefit from:

- SAN-FAT
- SAN-MRY
- SAN-STS

As well as a short hop to nearby Nevada out of San Jose:

- SJC-RNO

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsr...118_045431.asp

Last edited by Xero; Jan 18, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Old May 15, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
I searched for "exit row" in this thread and found at least one person could reserve exit row seating...my experience (today) is different.
On the AS website the reservation (AS segment + UA segment if that makes a difference) clearly shows my "elite" status and I can click on exit row seats but they don't "stick" but there is no warning or error message...do I need to call AA or AS or ???
Old May 15, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CVO 1K 2 Million
I searched for "exit row" in this thread and found at least one person could reserve exit row seating...my experience (today) is different.
On the AS website the reservation (AS segment + UA segment if that makes a difference) clearly shows my "elite" status and I can click on exit row seats but they don't "stick" but there is no warning or error message...do I need to call AA or AS or ???
I'll take a stab at what I think the issue is.

You can't reserve an exit row seat during the initial booking process. You have to buy the ticket with your AA elite number in it. Only then do you get the screen that allows you the option to select exit row.

The only other time I have not been able to get an "elite" seat is after I have made a change in the reservation and the PNR stayed the same.

Hope this helps

T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.