Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Not sure where to post this and I did a search but couldn't find any real answers on this question (Sorry if this has been answered before). I am needing to fly one-way from Dallas to Medford, OR and I have seen some crazy high fares coming up on AA.com (This is for an AA metal operated flight from Dallas to Portland and then a Horizon operated flight from Portland to Medford). I then went to the Alaska Airlines website and was quoted a fare less than 1/2 the price of the American ticket for the exact same 2 flights. If I book my ticket through the Alaska website and enter my aadvantage EXP number can I still request a complimentary EXP upgrade on the AA metal operated flight from Dallas to Portland? If anyone has any experience with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smuDC-10
Not sure where to post this and I did a search but couldn't find any real answers on this question (Sorry if this has been answered before). I am needing to fly one-way from Dallas to Medford, OR and I have seen some crazy high fares coming up on AA.com (This is for an AA metal operated flight from Dallas to Portland and then a Horizon operated flight from Portland to Medford). I then went to the Alaska Airlines website and was quoted a fare less than 1/2 the price of the American ticket for the exact same 2 flights. If I book my ticket through the Alaska website and enter my aadvantage EXP number can I still request a complimentary EXP upgrade on the AA metal operated flight from Dallas to Portland? If anyone has any experience with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
If you buy on Alaska.com you will not be able to upgrade on the aa flight. Even as an exp. That's been my experience when I went for the cheaper flight, much like you're looking at doing.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smuDC-10
If I book my ticket through the Alaska website and enter my aadvantage EXP number can I still request a complimentary EXP upgrade on the AA metal operated flight from Dallas to Portland? If anyone has any experience with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Originally Posted by 2TallSeaFlyer
If you buy on Alaska.com you will not be able to upgrade on the aa flight. Even as an exp. That's been my experience when I went for the cheaper flight, much like you're looking at doing.
Does where you book really make a difference?

Isn't it based on the flight number?

Ie, I thought you qualify for an upgrade if you book an AA metal flight with an AA flight number (whether on aa.com, alaskaairlines.com, travelocity.com, wherever), but don't qualify if it's got a non-AA flight number (for example, an AS flight number)?

Now, from the way smuDC-10 phrased it, I cannot tell if the AA flight that's at a lower price on the Alaska website is showing an AA flight number or an AS flight number (or for that matter a US flight number!) there.

And, btw, if it is a codeshare (AA flight with AS flight number), if you can't qualify for an upgrade, that presumably also means you can't use your status to get into MCE?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I take it there is no elite mileage bonus on AS flights, that we just get the actual mileage as both EQMs and RDMs.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I take it there is no elite mileage bonus on AS flights, that we just get the actual mileage as both EQMs and RDMs.
You actually do get the bonus miles:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...itestatusbonus
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
On my SMF-SEA award flight on Saturday, noticed that my AA TSA PreCheck status printed on the Alaska boarding pass along with my EXP status. Is that something new? Sailed right through security in Sacramento.

Boarded with Alaska's own top tier elites and first class flyers in the initial boarding process after parents with children under 2 and uniformed military. Have always enjoyed my Alaska flights north.

Tom in Bremerton tonight
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
On my SMF-SEA award flight on Saturday, noticed that my AA TSA PreCheck status printed on the Alaska boarding pass along with my EXP status. Is that something new? Sailed right through security in Sacramento.

Boarded with Alaska's own top tier elites and first class flyers in the initial boarding process after parents with children under 2 and uniformed military. Have always enjoyed my Alaska flights north.

Tom in Bremerton tonight
It's been like this for several months now, if not longer. Sure makes it easier to use the Pre-Check/Premium lines in SEA.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AS 75k
On my two AS flights last week, I was surprised to have the FAs on both flights address me by name when asking for my drink order (they did not refer to my being an EXP or other elite). I'm normally not big on being recognized like that, but I have to admit it was kind of nice since I was in Y and don't recall that ever being done when in coach on AA, DL or UA. I was also a little amused that they didn't address Mrs flymonthly (sitting next to me) by name even though she is an AS MVP.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by flymonthly
On my two AS flights last week, I was surprised to have the FAs on both flights address me by name when asking for my drink order (they did not refer to my being an EXP or other elite). I'm normally not big on being recognized like that, but I have to admit it was kind of nice since I was in Y and don't recall that ever being done when in coach on AA, DL or UA. I was also a little amused that they didn't address Mrs flymonthly (sitting next to me) by name even though she is an AS MVP.
Was payment required for the drink?

AS MVPG get a "first one on us" drink where they are supposed to address you by name and thank you for your business. Maybe part of this benefit is being extended to AA elites or if somehow you come up as MVPG on the manifest? FAs in Y have a list of MVPG's in back. Wife as MVP would not be on the list.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: Free agent
I think one significant difference from this year going forward will be that AS coded flights won't count towards the newly-enforced 4-segment rule for elite status qualification, whereas AA coded flights on AS metal will. But this is an assumption rather than confirmed for the moment.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing

AS MVPG get a "first one on us" drink where they are supposed to address you by name and thank you for your business. Maybe part of this benefit is being extended to AA elites or if somehow you come up as MVPG on the manifest? FAs in Y have a list of MVPG's in back. Wife as MVP would not be on the list.
While I would normally have an alcoholic beverage or two, I didn't on these flights, so don't know if payment would have have been required. Didn't realize that it was an MVPG benefit, but it certainly seems as if it was being offered to me for one of the reasons you listed. The FAs seemed a little disappointed/surprised that I only ordered a soda on one flight and a cup of ice on the other (had brought a bottle of lemonade on board).
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:34 pm

Does anyone have experience with baggage fees waived with companions not on the same PNR? I know what the rules state and most likely it will not come in to play anyway, but was just wondering if anyone had experience.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing

Doesn't seem as if a free drink is a benefit. Just had AS flight where I wasnt addressed by name and had to pay for my beer. I even asked the fa about it and he said it was MVPG benefit. He did say something about a new promo where everyone on the flight would get a free drink once a month (? not clear on the details).
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
The free drink isn't supposed to be a benefit for AA elites, so that seems more like a glitch than standard op.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Sprezzatura
^ this.

And I devoutly hope that nothing changes with the AS/AA partnership post-merger.

Hi,
1. Does anyone have any more information at this point? Will USAIR honor Alaska as a partner airline in the near future. Our current small airport has only Alaska Airlines (Horizon) and I can only use my AA miles for it right now. My USAIR miles are just sitting there!!

2. After the complete merger, will our combined miles be considered USAIR or AA miles?

Thank you in advance for any insights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.