Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Unless you booked before last summer, you can't even credit AS metal to AA.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Gonna have to blame AA’s program rules and the DOJ for this one.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp

“AAdvantage members will be able to earn on Alaska Airlines only as American-marketed flights (booked as an AA flight number)

AA isn’t going to slap a codeshare on a compeitor’s flight in a directly competitive market (JFK-LAX). In fact, this was prohibited by the terms of the AS/VX merger.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 8, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by rpk113
Am I the only one that thinks this is stupid?
Yes I think its stupid that the AS/AA partnership had to change. As mentioned above its not AS decision that AA doesn't want to grant credit on AS marketed flights.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
So I'm flying JFK-LAX in a week and half, entered my AA number on the AS website, no problem. I call to ask a question, they ask if I want to change my number since there is no agreement between VX and AA to credit. I said, I booked this flight with AS shouldn't those rules apply. Am I the only one that thinks this is stupid?
There are two issues here. First is the one others have mentioned, that the AA/AS partnership for earning miles on domestic flights is over.

The other is that VX and AA never have been and never will be partners. The American web site was very clear about the earning rules back when you could earn AA miles from flying AS: flights must be marketed by Alaska Airlines and operated by Alaska Airlines or American Airlines to be eligible for credit under the Alaska Airlines award chart. The situation was the exact same in the US/AA merger (except that the AA-AS partnership didn't end): US and AS were never partners, so US-marketed or operated flights were never eligible to earn AS miles. Former US routes only became eligible for AS earning when the US reservation system went away. The back-end effort for VX and AA to develop a frequent flyer partnership wasn't worth it because VX was going away, just like the back-end effort for US and AS to develop a partnership wasn't worth it.

(This is really a question about AAdvantage earning, so it belongs in the AAdvantage forum.)
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA
So I'm flying JFK-LAX in a week and half, entered my AA number on the AS website, no problem. I call to ask a question, they ask if I want to change my number since there is no agreement between VX and AA to credit. I said, I booked this flight with AS shouldn't those rules apply. Am I the only one that thinks this is stupid?
The partnership between AA and AS ended on January 1 of this year. You can no longer credit AS flights to AA.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by chrisremo
The partnership between AA and AS ended on January 1 of this year. You can no longer credit AS flights to AA.
That is not correct, per the wiki above (and link to the AA website). The partnership did NOT end (award flights are still bookable between both airlines) and AS flights CAN be credited to AA IF they are the AA codeshare and marketed by American.

AA doesn't slap their codeshare on VX flights, so OP is doomed, but you can credit certain AS flights.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 8, 2018 at 7:10 pm
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I think I am following correct here - but I will not be able to use AA elite benefits (free checked bag, etc) when flying on an Alaska flight marketed and sold with an AA flight # right?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by uscjeff
I think I am following correct here - but I will not be able to use AA elite benefits (free checked bag, etc) when flying on an Alaska flight marketed and sold with an AA flight # right?

Correct. Main exception is if it’s a connecting itinerary and your first flight of the day (ie the airline you check in with) is operated by AA (mainline or Eagle), you will of course get the bag fee waiver.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ashill
Correct. Main exception is if it’s a connecting itinerary and your first flight of the day (ie the airline you check in with) is operated by AA (mainline or Eagle), you will of course get the bag fee waiver.
And, of course, for international travel, the MSC (Most significant carrier) rule applies.
For example, flying SEA-LAX-HKG where the first flight is AS and the second is AA. AA baggage rules are supposed to apply
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
And, of course, for international travel, the MSC (Most significant carrier) rule applies.
For example, flying SEA-LAX-HKG where the first flight is AS and the second is AA. AA baggage rules are supposed to apply

Right, but that’s not a status benefit. It’s just the ticketed bag allowance, which always applies.

That reminds me that AA eticket often quote the free bags for elites as part of the ticketed allowance. If they do, that’s legally binding on all operating carriers on the ticket, though there was a recent report in these forums of AS not following that. AS did refund the fee when asked.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flew a roundtrip on AS last weekend with AA codeshares (AA CLT-SEA, AS SEA-FAI-SEA, AA SEA-DFW-CLT). On the outbound I was auto assigned 6F in Alaska Premium, their MCE at check in. No status printed on my BP but when the agent scanned it it read "AAP". On the way back I was atuo assigned 22A and I paid $75 for Premium. RDM, EQM, EQS and MM Miles all posted within 24 hours of the flights.

One thing to note, I checked in with AS in FAI and got BPs for my AA flights as well as an AA mobile BP. When I got to SEA I noticed I wasn't on the upgrade list so I had to go to the gate and get added.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by ashill

Right, but that’s not a status benefit. It’s just the ticketed bag allowance, which always applies.
That reminds me that AA eticket often quote the free bags for elites as part of the ticketed allowance. If they do, that’s legally binding on all operating carriers on the ticket, though there was a recent report in these forums of AS not following that. AS did refund the fee when asked.
Don't forget that AS has had a long time policy of free gate check, so if you can get your bag thru security, you can avoid the baggage fee.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:09 am
E55

AA Codeshare on AS metal = No AA checked bag benefit?

Sorry for the extra clarification attempt here, but is that correct? Or are all AA marketed flights eligible for AA eliete benefits regardless of the metal?

Originally Posted by uscjeff
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:33 am
E55

Maybe I should just start a new thread on this, eh?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by E55
AA Codeshare on AS metal = No AA checked bag benefit?

Sorry for the extra clarification attempt here, but is that correct? Or are all AA marketed flights eligible for AA eliete benefits regardless of the metal?
Originally Posted by E55
Maybe I should just start a new thread on this, eh?
No need for a new thread; this one is current as of 1/1/2018. As stated in the Wikipost at the top of the page, there are no AA - AS cross benefits any longer other than earnings on International flights. As to codeshares, you’ll generally get baggage allowance stated on your ticket, or the operating airline’s allowance iirc.

But no AA elite benefits flying AS, even as an AA marketed / codeshare flight, any longer. Essentially, this was a loss incurred when Alaska took Virgin America. Much like flying an AA marketed flight on another non-oneworld partner airline, such as Air Fiji or Air Tahiti Nui. No AA perks at all.
E55 and krakendown like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.