Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Could I Save Miles Doing This? (Domestic EXP upgrade)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!

I won’t actually do this but could I?

I’m EXP. I’m booked on AA573 tonight in F on an award ticket that cost 30k miles, redeye LAS-PHL. It shows F tickets available, 2 open F seats on the seat map, and the upgrade list is empty. Very surprising since it’s an A332 and the F seats are lie-flat. Departs in 5 hours (delayed). Y tickets are available for 25k.

i know EXPs are eligible for upgrades on award tix. I don’t know if they require upgrade stickers. Do they? If not, could I theoretically cancel the F award ticket and book a Y ticket for 5k fewer miles while being pretty sure I’d get upgraded? If I had to use stickers I probably wouldn’t trade 5 stickers for 5k miles.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
As EXP you do not need stickers. You'd probably not have any issue doing this as a one off, and at T-5 you should now be able to see the upgrade list to tell how much of a gamble it might be.

Just don't do something like this frequently, or AA will detect a pattern of you holding inventory you don't intend to use to manipulate the system.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Sure, you could do it - it's totally within published rules, and upgrades are complimentary on award tickets just as on revenue tickets.

You could also book LAS-PHL-ISP for 5K assuming no checked bags...I'm not condoning it but 25K is a big chunk of miles to get back
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by aacar
Sure, you could do it - it's totally within published rules, and upgrades are complimentary on award tickets just as on revenue tickets.

You could also book LAS-PHL-ISP for 5K assuming no checked bags...I'm not condoning it but 25K is a big chunk of miles to get back
How did you find this one?
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Smsgirl
How did you find this one?
ISP is especially prone to the cheap web specials IME.
JB OmahAA and Smsgirl like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
ISP is especially prone to the cheap web specials IME.
SYR and ITH, too.
Smsgirl likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
It's within published rules to get an upgrade on an award ticket. It is 100% AGAINSTthe published rules to use an award ticket to hold space in a higher cabin with the intent of keeping it 'available' for you to get upgraded into by canceling at the last minute. Which is exactly what it will look like if the OP does this... for that reason, I would strongly advise against.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wetrat0
It's within published rules to get an upgrade on an award ticket. It is 100% AGAINSTthe published rules to use an award ticket to hold space in a higher cabin with the intent of keeping it 'available' for you to get upgraded into by canceling at the last minute. Which is exactly what it will look like if the OP does this... for that reason, I would strongly advise against.
I would not advise making a habit of it, but there are one off circumstances where things change for the better; you weren't holding inventory for any nefarious purpose, it just so happened to work out that way.

I've had a case where a web saver popped up on the same flight for a fraction of the cost. Canceled mine and rebooked. Never had an issue.
aacar likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Antarius
I would not advise making a habit of it, but there are one off circumstances where things change for the better; you weren't holding inventory for any nefarious purpose, it just so happened to work out that way.

I've had a case where a web saver popped up on the same flight for a fraction of the cost. Canceled mine and rebooked. Never had an issue.
How close to the flight did you do this, though? Close enough that you could see the upgrade list and knew you had a good shot at the upgrade? That to me is the difference in what was suggested at least by sjpmurph01 in post #2 .

In other words:
  • Cancel and rebook a better price in the same cabin, definitely fine anytime before the flight.
  • Cancel and rebook in a lower cabin ~a day or so before the flight while it's still likely that the airline can sell the space, unlikely to raise any red flag.
  • Hold the ticket until T-4 when you can see the upgrade list, and then rebook only if you have a good shot at the upgrade (knowing that you've been holding F inventory that's unlikely to be resold so close to the flight), very risky IMHO.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wetrat0
How close to the flight did you do this, though? Close enough that you could see the upgrade list and knew you had a good shot at the upgrade? That to me is the difference in what was suggested at least by sjpmurph01 in post #2 .

In other words:
  • Cancel and rebook a better price in the same cabin, definitely fine anytime before the flight.
  • Cancel and rebook in a lower cabin ~a day or so before the flight while it's still likely that the airline can sell the space, unlikely to raise any red flag.
  • Hold the ticket until T-4 when you can see the upgrade list, and then rebook only if you have a good shot at the upgrade (knowing that you've been holding F inventory that's unlikely to be resold so close to the flight), very risky IMHO.
A few hours before? I had the flight booked for a while though and fully intended to (and did) take the flight. I also didn't book a refundable J fare.

I think if I did it repeatedly, then it is risky. However once or twice where circumstances line up across hundreds of flights isn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.