Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
If you want to get really into the married segment weeds, venture into the world of outstations and trying to find award space using a partner miles currency. I'd like to figure out how to burn some Alaska miles (Alaska doesn't fly anywhere particularly close to me) and a search on their web site to redeem for American tickets gets me:

1) only mixed cabin options with of course the transtlantic leg in Y

2) routings like DUB-PHL-TPA-CLT-VPS (yes, I have to go into Florida twice in order to get home) or DUB-PHL-PVD-DCA-VPS or DUB-PHL-GSO-DCA-VPS
Does AS return segment level award availability for multileg AA itins?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
If you want to get really into the married segment weeds, venture into the world of outstations and trying to find award space using a partner miles currency. I'd like to figure out how to burn some Alaska miles (Alaska doesn't fly anywhere particularly close to me) and a search on their web site to redeem for American tickets gets me:

1) only mixed cabin options with of course the transtlantic leg in Y

2) routings like DUB-PHL-TPA-CLT-VPS (yes, I have to go into Florida twice in order to get home) or DUB-PHL-PVD-DCA-VPS or DUB-PHL-GSO-DCA-VPS
I saw a MIA-DFW-JFK showing a few days ago when I tried to find a MIA-JFK to connect to a JFK-NRT JL flight.

Other gems were with connections at PHL or CLT the most frequently showing up connection on virtually any search on any route out of South Florida - this is when there are SIX MIA-JFK, or EIGHT MIA-LAX daily flights, but no, 90% of the dates there is none nonstop flight has Savver.

When I cannot find the MIA-JFK whether in Y or in J, I turn to buy a DL or JetBlue from FLL revenue ticket instead. I dont think I am in minority in doing so.

They can continue to hawk their CCs and even reduce the benefits like cut the 10% rebate by May 1st - they would not see people putting real spend on their cards. When and if Citi wakes up and no longer sending out those mailers, there would be the end of AA's cash cow that is its ONLY profitable business segment as an airline for the whole of 2018 and prior.
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by audio-nut
A little, not as convoluted as AA.

However I have seen AS shows spaces with overnight connections that AA would not show. in the old days of Last In First Out otherwise the domestic connection was limited to 4 hours. AS showed some connections that you had to call AA to book.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
A little, not as convoluted as AA.
I am not sure what that means. For a multileg trip, is AS pulling AA award inventory by leg or by O&D (married segment logic)?

My limited data suggests that AS is pulling AA award inventory by leg but I want to confirm.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure what that means. For a multileg trip, is AS pulling AA award inventory by leg or by O&D (married segment logic)?

My limited data suggests that AS is pulling AA award inventory by leg but I want to confirm.
Not understand what you say.

I only use O/D to check availability, never multi-city. I have no clue how AS pulls inventory from AA inventory issued to them.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Not understand what you say.

I only use O/D to check availability, never multi-city. I have no clue how AS pulls inventory from AA inventory issued to them.
e.g.

AA shows
AAA-BBB shows milesaaver space in Y & F
BBB-CCC shows milesaaver space in Y
AAA-CCC shows milesaaver space in Y & F

AS shows
AAA-BBB shows milesaaver space in Y & F
BBB-CCC shows milesaaver space in Y
AAA-CCC O&D search shows milesaaver space in spilt F/Y (AAA-BBB in F; BBB-CCC in Y)
AAA-CCC multicity search shows milesaaver space Y and split F/Y (AAA-BBB in F; BBB-CCC in Y)

Why doesn’t an AS AAA-CCC O&D search show Y and F?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
VERY good question !! It appears AS will only check point to point.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Appears BA showed off their new J hard product, 1-2-1 cabins with new seats with doors on the A350s and then presumably retrofitted to the existing fleet over time.

So higher fuel surcharges on awards using AA miles once all their TATL fleet has been upgraded?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by wco81
So higher fuel surcharges on awards using AA miles once all their TATL fleet has been upgraded?
Ha ha I"d like to see when they will get this fleet upgraded....it will probably take 10 years plus.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Has anyone seen or picked up any Charlotte to Europe Saver Business Awards recently? It seems like so very few exist anymore...
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beofotch
Has anyone seen or picked up any Charlotte to Europe Saver Business Awards recently? It seems like so very few exist anymore...
It might be worth your time to peruse the very thread you are posting in. I think you will find this topic very well discussed and it really is in no way confined to Charlotte.

Regards
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:53 pm

There continues to be surprisingly good business saver awards, on AA-operated flights, at least outbound, from the eastern US to Europe (have looked at/booked to LHR and BCN) for summer 2019 from about July 7-August 26. About half the days have at least 1 saver business award, generally Saturday-Wednesdays, with some fluctuations.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by scubadu
It might be worth your time to peruse the very thread you are posting in. I think you will find this topic very well discussed and it really is in no way confined to Charlotte.

Regards
Sorry to have made such a low effort post. :-)

I have scanned the thread and didn't come across what I was curious about. Let me ask again a little clearer.

Has anyone stumbled on recently any non-stop business saaver availability from Charlotte to Europe for 2 in the next 330 days? I know there is a dearth out there and it seems even less than the pittance it used to be. Even the LHR, BCN suggestions in the post above aren't showing up for non-stop.

It used to be you could find a stray CLT - CDG or CLT - LHR. Now nothing.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

I have scanned the thread and didn't come across what I was curious about. Let me ask again a little clearer.

Has anyone stumbled on recently any non-stop business saaver availability from Charlotte to Europe for 2 in the next 330 days? I know there is a dearth out there and it seems even less than the pittance it used to be. Even the LHR, BCN suggestions in the post above aren't showing up for non-stop.

Well, I think my answer remains largely the same. Has someone, somewhere, randomly "stumbled" across the award you are looking for? Perhaps. But that said, you have used a form of "it used to be" a couple times and I think what I'm saying is "it used to be" is largely no more. And even if someone has stumbled across the award you are looking for, it in no way, shape, or form implies that you will then be able to find said award as well.

There no longer seems to be much rhyme or reason (i.e. consistent patterns) to the way that AA is choosing to make Saaver awards available. That is the very point that much of this thread has been discussing.

Regards
DCJoe1 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps they could be waiting for May 1 so they won't have to give anyone with an AA credit card 10% back? Wouldn't it make sense now that AA's made the announcement that the AA credit card 10% rebate on redemptions in going away on May 1, they might hold back some inventory until May 1, when essentially they'll get to collect about 10% more miles for the same awards from AA credit card holders?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.