Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:22 pm

AAdvantage is still great compared to Delta.

I'm in SFO, let's say I want to fly lie flat to JFK tonight.

AA: 50,000 (1-1 seating in Flagship First)
DL: 147,500 (2-2 seating in "Delta One")

Both are nonstop flights departing in the 10pm hour.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
It all started December 9, 2013
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
It all started December 9, 2013
Some would say July 1, 1989 was the beginning of the end
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by miadeals
Been busy so haven't booked tickets recently, now the program is a total joke. Quasi-revenue based (as soon as tickets reach certain price point, remove all seats from inventory), hide available seats from partners (12.5k savers unavailable on BA), no inventory on flights where there is inventory to use same exact flight as a connection, etc. When was all this changed?
What happens if you put a trip on hold and then call to ask to drop a segment?
I am curious. Do they tell you the remaining segment is unavailable (assuming you were unable to book that segment without the other)?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:28 pm

Been busy so haven't booked tickets recently, now the program is a total joke. Quasi-revenue based (as soon as tickets reach certain price point, remove all seats from inventory), hide available seats from partners (12.5k savers unavailable on BA), no inventory on flights where there is inventory to use same exact flight as a connection, etc. When was all this changed?
#goingforgreat

(Great for them, not for you...)
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by davie355
AAdvantage is still great compared to Delta.

I concur. For my usual mid-con domestic route, I did an award search recently... Last minute one way costs around $500. Delta wanted 60,000 miles for that $500 ticket. AA and UA only 12,500 miles. Even with the $75 "expedite fee" the grass is greener for many awards on AA.
chica likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you looked at the other main USA airlines?
Those ffp's that are revenue based?
Married segments?
Saver awards? (as can be used by ff partners award)

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
What happens if you put a trip on hold and then call to ask to drop a segment?
I am curious. Do they tell you the remaining segment is unavailable (assuming you were unable to book that segment without the other)?
OK, I am not this advanced, and I bet that me using BA miles to book an AA ticket makes this even less likely? "Uh...i put this on hold, now drop half...now open up the other half so I can go into my BA account and..."

It's a flight from FLL to ORD which shows no saver award tickets, but multiple saver tickets if you book FLL-ORD-EWR, same exact first flight. I think I'm just screwed.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Have you looked at the other main USA airlines?
Those ffp's that are revenue based?
Married segments?
Saver awards? (as can be used by ff partners award)

The grass in not always greener on the other side
I've been booking southwest, have a family, had a companion pass, tickets are waaaaay cheaper. Like, 3500 miles vs. 12.5k min on AA. AAdvantage is baaaaad. I'm sure others are even worse.

I'm just comparing it to 5 years ago when they didn't play this many games. More availability and clear as to what is available.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It's a flight from FLL to ORD which shows no saver award tickets, but multiple saver tickets if you book FLL-ORD-EWR, same exact first flight. I think I'm just screwed.
Why not just book the one-way FLL-ORD-EWR, and not take the last segment?
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Why not just book the one-way FLL-ORD-EWR, and not take the last segment?
Trying to use BA points, and 1) they're not sharing the saver availability on the flight to their "partner" BA, and 2) you can't do that with BA points, you have to pay for both flights individually. Now, if they'd show the availability to their "partner" for the first half of the "saver" award I'd be set. I know there are seats...this has become such a joke.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Several key dates that led to AAdvantage downfall over the years:
December 9, 2013: ​takeover by merger with US Airways closed
April 8, 2014: stopovers eliminated, Anytime Award prices raised (with no notice)
March 22, 2016: many sAAver award prices raised
May 11, 2016: Suzanne Rubin announces resignation
August 1, 2016: earnings become spend based
January 1, 2017: PQD added
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
OK, I am not this advanced, and I bet that me using BA miles to book an AA ticket makes this even less likely? "Uh...i put this on hold, now drop half...now open up the other half so I can go into my BA account and..."

That's a bit different. You are talking about using Avios for a ticket. That is NOT the same as "AAdvantage"
BA doesn't (or "don't, depending on your version of English) make all award seats open to AA customers, and vice versa.
There is no requirement that award availability be the same among OW members.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I've been booking southwest, have a family, had a companion pass, tickets are waaaaay cheaper. Like, 3500 miles vs. 12.5k min on AA. AAdvantage is baaaaad. I'm sure others are even worse.
Apples and oranges; WN uses a quasi-revenue-based calculation for award seats, while AA is essentially flat, region based. Your 3500 WN point example is for a relatively short, cheap flight - generally less than $100. I just randomly checked WN's WGA redemption for SAN-BWI on 3/27: 10,784 - 28,008 points, BS jumps to a whopping 69,509 - 70,514. In contrast: saaver coach starts at 12,500, unrestricted, fully refundable first class on AA ,maxes out at 45,000 miles.
WN will also jack up its WGA redemption rate for higher demand travel days.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
I concur. For my usual mid-con domestic route, I did an award search recently... Last minute one way costs around $500. Delta wanted 60,000 miles for that $500 ticket. AA and UA only 12,500 miles. Even with the $75 "expedite fee" the grass is greener for many awards on AA.
No question that last minute awards on DL are high. On the other hand, for someone like me with a family of four who generally plans their vacation trips ahead and looks for coach awards, there are some values on DL. I'm seeing SFO-JFK from 9K miles one-way in coach on DL (10K in the summer) which I would consider a decent value. I realize I'm probably an outlier here on FT with a family, but not everyone's priorities are the same for their mileage redemptions.
wahooflyer and miadeals like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.