Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Yes, their big move will to be open up a bunch of Y seats-maybe 2 on occasion, like on overnights on medium hauls, and little if no F/J seats. They will pride themselves on greater award availability out of hubs, but making no J availability out of smaller cities, such as SMF, forcing us to purchase AAnytime awards. It's a scam. I'll be hopeful that what they say is true and that we can get 2 seats in domestic F (J) 330 days out and a good amount of F and J available internationally at 330 days out also. We'll see how sincere their their intentions are. Don't hold your breath !
I am a bit more cynical - see aa releasing 1 saaver seat each in Y, F and J, forcing customers to pay aanytime rates for the rest of their party. I have seen this in the past, successful waiting a few days for the release of a second saaver seat on the same flights, then combining the records.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by diver858
I am a bit more cynical - see aa releasing 1 saaver seat each in Y, F and J, forcing customers to pay aanytime rates for the rest of their party. I have seen this in the past, successful waiting a few days for the release of a second saaver seat on the same flights, then combining the records.
I must be even more cynical, because that sounds like the best / most optimistic scenario to me (AA releasing any J/F seats). I think it's more likely that AA won't change anything at all, and if they do, it'll be releasing a handful of additional Y seats on a few low-demand flights. Then they'll issue a "World's Best Airline Releases Even More Award Seats!" PR, and that'll be the end of it.
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by texmanufan
Yes, what has DP been drinking? I will believe it when I see it. Until then just lip service. At least at US Airways there was decent partner availability. Even that is starting to be a issue.
But does AA have any control over partner availability? Isn't it the partners who decide that?

And didn't US Airways have a whole different set of partners (it was in Star Alliance, not oneWorld, until not long before it ceased to exist as such)? Those are now UA's partners!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But does AA have any control over partner availability? Isn't it the partners who decide that?

And didn't US Airways have a whole different set of partners (it was in Star Alliance, not oneWorld, until not long before it ceased to exist as such)? Those are now UA's partners!
At the very least, they control whether said partner availability is actually usable by people with jobs, families, etc.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
At the very least, they control whether said partner availability is actually usable by people with jobs, families, etc.
Not sure I follow -- are you referring to the need to find a reasonable domestic connection on AA/AS if you're not located near a Oneworld hub?
JonNYC likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by sdsearch

Never claimed that AA has any control over partner availability. Don’t know if they do or not or why that is an issue for you. The scarcity of SAAver awards is even more aggravating when an alternate mile redemption option becomes more difficult like it has of late with some partners.

Regarding US Airways the same management with the same philosophy in making low redemption availability scarce has changed what used to be good here at AA. The partner scarcity is recent. My point was that good partner redemption availability makes the SAAver scarcity more palatable.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Not sure I follow -- are you referring to the need to find a reasonable domestic connection on AA/AS if you're not located near a Oneworld hub?
Referring to the inability to search for most partner availability on aa.com.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by abk
My kid is a senior now so I am expert at flying out of Roa at Thanksgiving.
The irony is Delta is actually the better connection with Roa-Atl-Stl all jet service and the return on that Sunday is a 9:40 am departure. AA has more flights out of Roa so the supply issue is more or less the same and if we assume that Delta isn't giving anybody anything then the difference of 32.5k miles to 75k makes a pretty big statement about the two programs.
Mine is also a senior and I'll be happy when she isn't sucking up all my miles because of the horrible rates out of ROA at Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break, summer, ... actually, it's all the time. Returning on Sat after Thanksgiving is still an 80k round trip.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:12 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by TSparky
Mine is also a senior and I'll be happy when she isn't sucking up all my miles because of the horrible rates out of ROA at Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break, summer, ... actually, it's all the time. Returning on Sat after Thanksgiving is still an 80k round trip.
It won't work for Thanksgiving but Charlottesville isn't as bad as Roa
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hi. I'm trying to book my wife a Business MileSAAver award from TUS/PHX to Europe (exactly where may depend on availability) and then back from LHR to TUS/PHX in July (targeting July 9-16 but might be able to move a bit if needed). Obviously trying to avoid BA to eliminate the absurd taxes/fees.

Right now, there is some availability on AA metal from ORD to DUB/MAN/etc on July 9 but nothing from TUS/PHX to ORD. So my question is, should/could I book that segment now and then add TUS/PHX to ORD later when/if it becomes available?

I know that would incur a change fee because of the new origin but I should be EXP in December so hopefully that takes care of that. Just want to make sure its possible to add without releasing the Europe segment back to inventory and then losing it. Main concern is obviously that availability disappearing before any domestic ever opens up.

I have seen some related questions/answers but nothing that was all that current and answered this definitively. Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by f18superhornet
Hi. I'm trying to book my wife a Business MileSAAver award from TUS/PHX to Europe (exactly where may depend on availability) and then back from LHR to TUS/PHX in July (targeting July 9-16 but might be able to move a bit if needed). Obviously trying to avoid BA to eliminate the absurd taxes/fees.

Right now, there is some availability on AA metal from ORD to DUB/MAN/etc on July 9 but nothing from TUS/PHX to ORD. So my question is, should/could I book that segment now and then add TUS/PHX to ORD later when/if it becomes available?

I know that would incur a change fee because of the new origin but I should be EXP in December so hopefully that takes care of that. Just want to make sure its possible to add without releasing the Europe segment back to inventory and then losing it. Main concern is obviously that availability disappearing before any domestic ever opens up.

I have seen some related questions/answers but nothing that was all that current and answered this definitively. Thanks
Looking at it there's a late departure TUS-PHX-ORD on 7/9 that gets you into ORD at 11:59. Can you take a long layover in Chicago then hope something better opens up? I would do my best to get something now, although it appears AA is doing a lot more close-in award releases lately.

Plenty of others more experienced than me, but I'm pretty confident you would be able to modify an existing ORD-DUB/MAN reservation to include additional legs without releasing the seats back into inventory. Whether or not you pay the change fee would definitely depend on your status, unless there's a schedule change, etc.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Looking at it there's a late departure TUS-PHX-ORD on 7/9 that gets you into ORD at 11:59. Can you take a long layover in Chicago then hope something better opens up? I would do my best to get something now, although it appears AA is doing a lot more close-in award releases lately.

Plenty of others more experienced than me, but I'm pretty confident you would be able to modify an existing ORD-DUB/MAN reservation to include additional legs without releasing the seats back into inventory. Whether or not you pay the change fee would definitely depend on your status, unless there's a schedule change, etc.
Thanks! Upon further searching after your response I see that AA must have opened up a little domestic space because I can now book PHX-SAN-ORD-DUB/MAN. While the SAN-ORD leg is currently economy, at least its a start.

I guess my question still stands though, if I go ahead and book the above will AA change me to a direct PHX-ORD if it becomes available without otherwise messing with ORD-DUB/MAN?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold

I guess my question still stands though, if I go ahead and book the above will AA change me to a direct PHX-ORD if it becomes available without otherwise messing with ORD-DUB/MAN?
Yes
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks! Upon further searching after your response I see that AA must have opened up a little domestic space because I can now book PHX-SAN-ORD-DUB/MAN. While the SAN-ORD leg is currently economy, at least its a start.

You can change the dates, routing, and number of segments, however your origin and destination must remain the same.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody

I think you might also have a good chance this far out that sometime between now and the flight there will be a schedule change. If it is a "major change" or even a small one you should be able to a more direct route...even if AA has to open up space. These schedule changes usually happen every few months so keep an eye out on your reservation....hopefully a change helps you get your desired flight.

Last edited by chicago747; Oct 12, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.