Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by beachfan
Impossible to get awards from LAX to ORD or PHL in J with the lead time I need.
Yes, same from SMF. Only an occasional seat in J (or even in Y) and even then it's with a connection in PHX and a midnight arrival into ORD. Zero availability from ORD-SMF in June & July. Some say seats become available a few days before the flight, but who plans a 2 week trip to Europe just a few days ahead?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Yes, same from SMF. Only an occasional seat in J (or even in Y) and even then it's with a connection in PHX and a midnight arrival into ORD. Zero availability from ORD-SMF in June & July. Some say seats become available a few days before the flight, but who plans a 2 week trip to Europe just a few days ahead?
More folks than you think take trips on short notice. Some have lots of miles and lots of time. I hope they start opening more reward seats in any form. Early , late , - doesn't matter.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Ha. ORD-SMF is one of my success stories this year. Non-stop, MilesAAver, Reduced Mileage Award, 10% rebate, and I ended up getting an upgrade. I did book it last minute though. The whole trip idea was last minute (to watch my team in the NCAA Tournament), so not sure what it looked like in the weeks leading up to it.

Nothing on the return, of course. Ended up booking a paid flight out of SFO.

SMF is a nice city, by the way.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If I can get across the ocean in J (U), then I am fine with the domestic leg being Y (T).
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by chicago747
AA loaded the ORD-VCE flight today and it's a goldmine for space. I'me seeing 3 business saver awards and 7 "C" upgrade space for every day I checked in May and June.

edit* looks like Prague and Budapest flights show similar results
Possible explanation: http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/ar...price-war.html
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by diver858
What do you see as the possible connection there??
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by JonNYC
What do you see as the possible connection there??
Rather than give away deep discount TATL seats to low revenue leisure travelers, allocating some saaver J and Y inventory should help promote new service, pacify loyalists complaining about the lack of saaver award availability.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:20 pm

Rather than give away deep discount TATL seats to low revenue leisure travelers, allocating some saaver J and Y inventory should help promote new service, pacify loyalists complaining about the lack of saaver award availability.
Why can't they just allocate 2 J seats and 4 Y seats on every flight on every day 330 days in advance and quell the rebellion? AA is highly dependent on income from Citibank and Barclay to fund their operation. Millions and millions of dollars. Once cardholders realize the miles they accumulate can't be used for free travel - except on a few limited routes or just a few days before departure (and maybe not be able to get a reasonable return date) they are going to drop these cards like a hot potato. BIG problem for AA financially. No way AA would have survived the financial crisis and the aftermath without Citibank.
susiesan likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:27 pm
Suspended

What are you talking about?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
What are you talking about?
I sort of understand what he's saying, but just allocating more J seats to VCE, PRG and BUD for a short period of time will not alleviate the "crisis" with the overall lack of J availability both domestically and internationally.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:26 am

I sort of understand what he's saying, but just allocating more J seats to VCE, PRG and BUD for a short period of time will not alleviate the "crisis" with the overall lack of J availability both domestically and internationally.
It is a crisis from the point collector point of view. AA has a goal though.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
I think it's much simpler: its revenue management, as always. A new flight is rarely going to be sold out during the startup. Seats will be available. Give them away.

Or, maybe they wanted to some "press" on their new flights? The blogs went wild about the U availability.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: Alaska FF
Why can't they just allocate 2 J seats and 4 Y seats on every flight on every day 330 days in advance and quell the rebellion?
Personally, I like the new allocation strategy. More miles for more spend. Awards available anytime for more miles.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Just hit another wall. I was able to find a first class award seat on an international partner carrier with a great reputation for first class, but not into New York, only Dallas. And naturally, the day I arrive back at DFW in mid November (well before Thanksgiving), and the day after (I'd be allowed up to 24 hrs to connect), there is not a single saver award seat on AA in any class from DFW to JFK, LGA, EWR, BOS, PHL, IAD, or DCA. Mid November! Any northeastern city! Any class!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
Just hit another wall. I was able to find a first class award seat on an international partner carrier with a great reputation for first class, but not into New York, only Dallas. And naturally, the day I arrive back at DFW in mid November (well before Thanksgiving), and the day after (I'd be allowed up to 24 hrs to connect), there is not a single saver award seat on AA in any class from DFW to JFK, LGA, EWR, BOS, PHL, IAD, or DCA. Mid November! Any northeastern city! Any class!
Hmm, I see lots of availability on AA.com when searching all airlines (including AS). For Dallas (DFW/DAL) to New York (JFK/LGA/EWR/ISP), there is currently business/first MileSAAver availability on every day in November except the 26th. Some days, it is true, are AS-only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.