Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Are you sure you aren't looking at the number of miles for the roundtrip ?
nope. one way on 10/16 from AUS-SFO showing 50K Economy AAnytime?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by koctail
nope. one way on 10/16 from AUS-SFO showing 50K Economy AAnytime?
You're absolutely right. And the AA award chart shows AAnytime Level 2 as being 30,000. Why don't you tweet AA and ask for an explanation, unless someone else on this board can explain it.
And they want 75,000 miles for a one-way business class on that date !!

Last edited by JIMCHI; Jun 22, 2017 at 1:44 pm Reason: added sentence
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
You're absolutely right. And the AA award chart shows AAnytime Level 2 as being 30,000. Why don't you tweet AA and ask for an explanation, unless someone else on this board can explain it.
And they want 75,000 miles for a one-way business class on that date !!
I didn't consult the chart, but I think there are unpublished AAnytime levels higher...ah screw it, I checked the chart. There is this disclaimer - "There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable award level."

Basically - "We really, really want to be Delta and not publish a chart at all, but we don't have the gumption to go all-in."
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by koctail
Total noob here looking to burn some AA miles. I am looking into itinerary of SFO-AUS RT. On return flight I am seeing an Anytime Award of 50000 points in economy? I double checked and its not anytime biz/first. From award charts I see highest redemption is 30K for domestic anytime economy. What is up here?
Check the nonstop AS flight from SJC or a connection via AS.

Also, the WN nonstop from OAK can often be pretty cheap. I just bought a ticket on that WN route last week for $79. Hard to justify a redemption plus a connection at that price.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I didn't consult the chart, but I think there are unpublished AAnytime levels higher...ah screw it, I checked the chart. There is this disclaimer - "There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable award level."

Basically - "We really, really want to be Delta and not publish a chart at all, but we don't have the gumption to go all-in."
You might want to check the AAnytime discussion. The chart used to contain a Level 3 column which could be anything. Someone tried to breakdown how level 3 works at this link. I don't know why AA deleted the old chart. I would guess that Parker did this so he could keep the equivalent of the old US Airways blackout dates, and yet still claim blackouts don't exist.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
It also allows AA to say that they do in fact have award seats available. How many AAdvantage members want to find an award seat just 7 days ahead and in Y ?
Exactly! Not me.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iadisgreat

Well DL has worked out in my favor recently. I booked a JFK-SAV & JFK-FLL for 12K round-trip, both Mon morning outbound to boot. Had there been a chart still that wouldnt have even gotten me a 1way. But Im sure theres more pain then gain with DL
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
Well DL has worked out in my favor recently. I booked a JFK-SAV & JFK-FLL for 12K round-trip, both Mon morning outbound to boot. Had there been a chart still that wouldnt have even gotten me a 1way. But Im sure theres more pain then gain with DL
JFK-FLL 12K round trip? That is 1/2 price of anybody's chart.

To be fair to DL, since 18 or more months ago it has has a lot more domestic saver availability than in the past. At least the routes I looked at, all had saver seats.
Even international business class DL own metals have seats out from MIA to many European cities it serves. A friend routinely is able to find saver business class from SEA. He just booked a business open jaw outbound to VIE, inbound from VCE - for travel in Oct, less than 4 months out. Try this on AA - much less destinations in Europe and virtually hardly any saver in near term departure.

Those who still look down on DL may need to change their perception so they will not miss out the opportunities on the DL metal.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:23 am

This is not an AA-bashing post (though Lrd knows I have enough to say about them that isn't pretty), but more of a genuine expression of puzzlement.

For the life of me I can't figure out the rhyme or reason for how AA is pricing awards these days. I am going to give a concrete example of me going to Costa Rica for a long weekend next year.

Flights: AA1568 JFK-MIA, AA1378 MIA-LIR, AA1322 LIR-MIA AA1316 MIA-JFK

For Jan12-15 : 75K miles r/t in Y. Paid cost in Y: $1,180, Paid cost in J: $847 (!! yep, cheaper in J than in Y!)

For Feb16-19 : 55K miles r/t in Y. Paid cost in Y: $1,812, Paid cost in J: $2899

So for the Feb long-weekend, the flights are 20K fewer miles, even though the paid cost is >50% higher.

I realise that miles are not fixed-value yet at AA, but wouldn't they want to charge more miles for those seats that are going to be more expensive?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
...I realise that miles are not fixed-value yet at AA, but wouldn't they want to charge more miles for those seats that are going to be more expensive?
No, doesn't work that way and certainly not something I'd wish for.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
It's based on "buckets" though, right? So if the SAAver award bucket isn't filled, it'll be lower?

This is similar to my experience traveling NYC/MCO for Easter week; I was going unrelated to the holiday (honestly, who schedules a convention during Passover and Easter!) and booked in December and I paid 100K miles for two Business/First SAAver awards, whereas the Economy awards were 140K for two (because they were used up). Minimum coach fare was $489 RT.

I generally assume the RM algorithms know what they're doing, so it's simply a matter of likely families booking the earlier buckets of Economy awards and First not being nearly sold out that early.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dp4m
(honestly, who schedules a convention during Passover and Easter!)
Someone looking to get a bargain on a convention venue

Originally Posted by dp4m
I generally assume the RM algorithms know what they're doing, so it's simply a matter of likely families booking the earlier buckets of Economy awards and First not being nearly sold out that early.
I've found this to be a common feature of both paid and award travel on holidays -- e.g. the difference between Y and F around Thanksgiving will often be minimal (under 10%). Guessing this is because the overwhelming majority of holiday travelers are price sensitive, and/or most people don't even think to search for F fares.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by JonNYC
No, doesn't work that way and certainly not something I'd wish for.
Yes, PLEASE, let's not give them any more ideas as to how they can abolish the AAdvantage program.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
For Jan12-15 : 75K miles r/t in Y. Paid cost in Y: $1,180, Paid cost in J: $847 (!! yep, cheaper in J than in Y!)

For Feb16-19 : 55K miles r/t in Y. Paid cost in Y: $1,812, Paid cost in J: $2899
The 75k/55k miles price is for an AAnytime award, and those prices are preset by date of travel not by a dynamic market.

This is the MileSAAver thread. If saver awards were available on those dates, they would be the same. Your January dates would not cost more than February.

I'll let someone else comment on the cash prices, but sometimes demand can cause J to cost less than Y. Some companies don't allow business travel in J for example, and it can lead to this.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:30 pm

A question please. Trying to get two J sAAver tickets LAX-FCO next spring (57.5 each way). Our dates are very flexible, so I can be picky and avoid BA metal.
I see a perfect flight in April, LAX-PHL-FCO. But then when I log in and set the number of tickets to "2," of course that flight is unavailable. So obviously I can't get two tickets in the same transaction.
But what are my chances of booking the one ticket, and then my wife logging into her own account and having the same flight available? In other words, will AA possibly have 2 separate sAAver seats available, but only allow two separate people to buy them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.