Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Paulchili
But isn't that what the expanded inventory for EXPs was all about? I don't think that inventory exists any more, though obviously I am not EXP and thus do not know this first hand - only what I read here.
Exactly right. As a 12-year EXP on AA, I can say that expanded EXP availability is nowadays completely nonexistent. Even getting AA to manually open space in cabins that are almost completely empty days/hours from departure is incredibly difficult. Even as a lowly Gold on UA, there is almost always expanded availability that I can access. In fact, it's a separate booking code (ON, IN, XN, etc) that I can actually see when looking at inventory. Definitely one significant area where UA has AA beat for elites.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 17, 2017, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Exactly right. As a 12-year EXP on AA, I can say that expanded EXP availability is nowadays completely nonexistent. Even getting AA to manually open space in cabins that are almost completely empty days/hours from departure is incredibly difficult. Even as a lowly Gold on UA, there is almost always expanded availability that I can access. In fact, it's a separate booking code (ON, IN, XN, etc) that I can actually see when looking at inventory. Definitely one significant area where UA has AA beat for elites.

-FlyerBeek
Spot on.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:33 am

AA The Worst Frequent-Flier Programs for Free Seats for 2017

Of the top 6 U.S. Airlines, AAdvantage now is dead last on award availability. You'd think with all these new IT 'enhancements' they could open additional Saaver space at least for their top tier elites or high revenue generating customers?

From WSJ:

"American is looking at improving availability of saver awards, says Bridget Blaise-Shamai, vice president of customer loyalty. “We certainly don’t set out to be the lowest by this measure and we certainly value and want to run a competitive program,” she says. As for the percentage of RPMs on award travel being lower than Southwest, Delta and United, Ms. Blaise-Shamai says, “We recognize we have room to go and we’re committed to making that happen.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-bes...017-1495034471
Old May 17, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Is anyone surprised?
Old May 17, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Gary Leff's piece on the same Idea Works study isn't behind a pay wall.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-availability/
Old May 17, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Here's a link to the report itself: http://www.ideaworkscompany.com/wp-c...eport-2017.pdf

I can't believe American's 54.3% low-tier award availability. In the past few months, I've looked at >15 different city pairs, including domestic and international (and popular routes such as ORD-NYC, ORD-LAX, and ORD-SFO), with some date flexibility, from 2 weeks to 10 months advance notice, yet have not found a single low-mileage award on AA metal. The only few options I have found have been on BA to Europe, which have exorbitant fees.

Maybe AA developed a VW-like defeat device that was able to determine when IdeaWorks performed their analysis and was able to open up inventory.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Here's a link to the report itself: http://www.ideaworkscompany.com/wp-c...eport-2017.pdf

I can't believe American's 54.3% low-tier award availability. In the past few months, I've looked at >15 different city pairs, including domestic and international (and popular routes such as ORD-NYC, ORD-LAX, and ORD-SFO), with some date flexibility, from 2 weeks to 10 months advance notice, yet have not found a single low-mileage award on AA metal. The only few options I have found have been on BA to Europe, which have exorbitant fees.

Maybe AA developed a VW-like defeat device that was able to determine when IdeaWorks performed their analysis and was able to open up inventory.

I often can find them, just on VERY undesirable routes with 3+ stops or on BA with the huge fees.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:10 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

The only few options I have found have been on BA to Europe, which have exorbitant fees.
Why is BA even listed on this chart????

Sure....they HAVE a bunch of Long-haul Saver Awards, but they charge SO MUCH MONEY that:

A: It NEVER make financial sense to redeem tickets in Y long-haul.
B. It's literally like $1k+in cash to redeem J and F long-haul awards.

They are GREAT if you are redeeming in Europe....but for long-haul I would have to say they offer the worst value of any airline out there.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

Did Southwest pay for this study? Of course it has "100%" availability, but when its redemption rates are tied to ticket cost, it's bald misrepresentation to call *all* Southwest redemptions "savers"...
Old May 17, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by enviroian
Spot on.
Let's all thank Doogie Poop for that.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Did Southwest pay for this study? Of course it has "100%" availability, but when its redemption rates are tied to ticket cost, it's bald misrepresentation to call *all* Southwest redemptions "savers"...
IdeaWorks explains its methodology relative to fare-based redemption (WN and B6 specifically) in its extended press release provided in the link above. It acknowledges some limits with WN's more heavily short-term network, too, in the routes selected for searches.
Old May 17, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
"American is looking at improving availability of saver awards, says Bridget Blaise-Shamai, vice president of customer loyalty. “We certainly don’t set out to be the lowest by this measure and we certainly value and want to run a competitive program,” she says. As for the percentage of RPMs on award travel being lower than Southwest, Delta and United, Ms. Blaise-Shamai says, “We recognize we have room to go and we’re committed to making that happen."
Sure, Bridget. Uh-huh. Of course you're committed. Yup. No doubt.

Sarcasm\

In all seriousness though, I don't believe you one bit. This here multi-year Chairman/EXP left and ain't comin' back, mostly due to ZERO saver availability where I was able to redeem with no problems for years. But also the declining service levels, special PHL employees, and all the thousand other cutbacks. Tired of your shenanigans and excuses. Have fun with your mediocre shell of a formerly decent airline. Oligopoly at its finest.

PS: Flew SIA long haul last month in coach for the first time in 10+ years - they almost make you feel like they actually care and the service was better than the vast majority of the many, many US/AA premium class transatlantic trips I've taken in the past 20+ years.

Last edited by lt1GM; May 17, 2017 at 4:43 pm
Old May 17, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Bridget is FOS. She has destroyed the AAdvantage program and her statement in the article is classic corporate speak. It's time for her to go.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by singal3
Bridget is FOS. She has destroyed the AAdvantage program and her statement in the article is classic corporate speak. It's time for her to go.
That won't change a thing.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That won't change a thing.
The Kossacks work for the Tsar, eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.