Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Happy
If you just pay for the DSM-XXX, you would find it much easier.

The DSM-XXX is termed as position flight. From smallish places like DSM, it is exceedingly hard to have that segment incorporated into the award, but not that difficult to buy a ticket to get to XXX or return from XXX.

As you can see from the Wiki, DSM does not have a whole lot of options when it comes to flights. ORD seems to be your best bet. Then from there you get to a gateway city for flights to SYD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Mo...tional_Airport

The award travel booking service certainly would be helpful, but they too, could not find you a flight with award seat for DSM-XXX if there is none available. Chances are, for secondary airports, award seats are very hard to come by. The solution is a position flight that may even involve a connection at ORD or DFW or PHX to get to LAX if using AA, or if you are lucky to find QF DFW-SYD, then you only need DSM-DFW. QF also flies JFK-LAX-SYD, but then it is the "long way" due to backtracking. AA does allow you to do that but it is not easy to find QF seats. Or DSM-ATL-LAX if using DL.

Here is SYD airport info on which airlines fly from where to SYD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Airport

You can go thru the DSM and SYD wiki and figure out HOW you can get to the US gateways for the flights to SYD. As you can see, LAX is the primary US airport to use.

Not sure if DL allows you to go thru Seoul on KE, that can also be a possibility as KE serves quite a bit of US cities and then you go thru ICN to SYD.
Excellent info, thank you!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Here is something also to watch. I was looking at Business/First Flights from SAN-SYD or CNS. When I did a calendar search by dates it did show multiple Saver Business flights at 80k and First Class at 110K, but the long important leg for SFo or LAX to Australia was in coach.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah they've been doing that for awhile, sneak in a coach award on the long haul to Oz and charge it as business.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by holocker
Here is something also to watch. I was looking at Business/First Flights from SAN-SYD or CNS. When I did a calendar search by dates it did show multiple Saver Business flights at 80k and First Class at 110K, but the long important leg for SFo or LAX to Australia was in coach.
Sorry to tell you that this is not news to anyone following this thread with any regularity. In fact, it is most annoying that AA does not filter this "alternate fact" more clearly to indicate that this is not a true business/first award.
UA lists these types of awards as mixed cabin upfront and by clicking on the link it clearly identifies which segment is in what class without going any further with the search.
Just another possible improvement in the way AA awards can be searched more easily and clearly. Not to mention showing awards for ALL OW members, like UA does. Why this cannot be accomplished is not entirely clear to me.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Paulchili
UA lists these types of awards as mixed cabin upfront and by clicking on the link it clearly identifies which segment is in what class without going any further with the search.
Correct and moreso 99% of the time it's the shorter, less important leg that's coach not the over the water longer segment.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Over the past couple of months I've been keeping an eye on what may be available for two of us (Milesaaver First domestic flights). We each have 50K to use, having been persuaded by AA to top up what we'd earned by buying more.

I was finding availability here and there and was hopeful that, when flights started becoming available for our trip next April-May, we would be able to make some (if not best) use of our miles. (Last year we had SLC-PHX-ANC and ANC-SEA-CLT-DCA with which we were rather pleased!)

Now I'm seeing nothing for two people. If I drop down from 2 to 1 passengers there is a little availability, but for two? Nah! Is this now the norm, maximum of 1 First Milesaaver Award per flight?

Our US gateway is a little flexible, depending on what awards we might get, as are our domestic airports within the area we wish to visit. And we have 3 domestic flights, of which we'd hope to book 2 as award flights. But dates are fixed.

Though I have been looking at all days of the week, is Sunday a poor day for awards as a rule?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by johnash

Though I have been looking at all days of the week, is Sunday a poor day for awards as a rule?
On American Airlines, Sunday is a poor day for award availability as well as Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Now I'm seeing nothing for two people. If I drop down from 2 to 1 passengers there is a little availability, but for two? Nah! Is this now the norm, maximum of 1 First Milesaaver Award per flight?
Not unusual, I have had some success booking one, revenue management would release a second shortly thereafter. Bit of a risk, but if you are able to cover the second ticket should it not become available, well worth it.

As the trip is more than 300 days away, it is also worth booking the second ticket with a less optimal 2-stop itinerary, expecting there are will be at least one schedule change between now and then, a phone call or 2 (HUCA) should result in both passengers ending up with the same itinerary.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Originally Posted by diver858
Not unusual, I have had some success booking one, revenue management would release a second shortly thereafter. Bit of a risk, but if you are able to cover the second ticket should it not become available, well worth it.

As the trip is more than 300 days away, it is also worth booking the second ticket with a less optimal 2-stop itinerary, expecting there are will be at least one schedule change between now and then, a phone call or 2 (HUCA) should result in both passengers ending up with the same itinerary.
Thanks. That's really helpful. You know it had not crossed my mind to book one award and one paid for!

I subscribed for a month to Expert Flyer and this confirmed to me that Milseaavers seem to be an almost extinct creature (as you all know on here anyway!). Difficult to find ANY on ANY flight that I looked at. I vented my displeasure to AA via Twitter message yet again. Not that will change anything but it helped my BP!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by dfw_plt_aa
On American Airlines, Sunday is a poor day for award availability as well as Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

How true (and how sad).
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:20 am

If we were to blow our miles on two (one for each of us) AAnytime First awards, instead of my driving myself insane looking for Saavers, it would mean booking under two Aadvantage numbers as we have the 50K each in our two accounts. Is there a neat way we can ensure booking the same flights online (having first ensured two seats were available on each flight) or would I have to call (yuk!)? Thanks.

In the "good old days" it used to be a pleasure calling the AAdvantage line in Dublin and getting someone from around Europe who was helpful, friendly and knowledgeable as well as, generally, speaking good English and understanding it. Wait times were short too. Aaaah, nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Last edited by johnash; Apr 3, 2017 at 10:23 am Reason: Nostalgic addition.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:37 am

If we were to blow our miles on two (one for each of us) AAnytime First awards, instead of my driving myself insane looking for Saavers, it would mean booking under two Aadvantage numbers as we have the 50K each in our two accounts. Is there a neat way we can ensure booking the same flights online (having first ensured two seats were available on each flight) or would I have to call (yuk!)? Thanks.

In the "good old days" it used to be a pleasure calling the AAdvantage line in Dublin and getting someone from around Europe who was helpful, friendly and knowledgeable as well as, generally, speaking good English and understanding it. Wait times were short too. Aaaah, nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Start the process of booking the first award and on the payment page for the first award you can put it on hold. Now book the second award. Then go back to the first and pay for it.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Start the process of booking the first award and on the payment page for the first award you can put it on hold. Now book the second award. Then go back to the first and pay for it.
I was not aware Hold was still available! That's great, thanks.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
This is fine advice, but I'll also note that one of the few good things remaining about AAdvantage is that AAnytime awards have last seat availability, meaning that any flight with seats for sale will be available. They're also quite flexible if you need to change to a different flight. So I wouldn't stress too much about perfectly synchronizing this; even if one of the flights somehow sold out between booking a first and second tickets, it would be easy to move the initial reservation to a different flight.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
This is fine advice, but I'll also note that one of the few good things remaining about AAdvantage is that AAnytime awards have last seat availability, meaning that any flight with seats for sale will be available. They're also quite flexible if you need to change to a different flight. So I wouldn't stress too much about perfectly synchronizing this; even if one of the flights somehow sold out between booking a first and second tickets, it would be easy to move the initial reservation to a different flight.
Great, thanks. The less stress the better!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.