Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Smiley90
absolutely no AA J availability LAX-LHR or DFW-AA
BA?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
BA?
Might as well pay for the ticket in cash if that's the only alternative. Talking AA specifically here, plenty of other airlines release seats at max schedule out. BA being one of them.

last year I was able to take advantage of that with AA too because my christmas travel plans are fixed a year in advance. Now I cant even do that.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
BA?
YQ
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Happy for you! ^
May I ask which citi(s) you are flying into/out of?
The TATL portion is MIA-HEL

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Quote:

..and equally importantly - which airline (hopefully not BA, which is very easy to get if you are willing to pay the YQ)
The TATL flight is on AY, total taxes/fees were ~$12 per person.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I track AA award availability on a very frequent basis and agree that availability was overstated. That being said, I did book AA SAAver J awards to SYD in the past week.

-FlyerBeek
A month or two ago, i was checking AA metal LAX to SYD and there was plenty of J seats in the month of August, almost every day had 2-3 seats minimum, these seats are all gone but there was a lot of seats available, the only reason i didn't book any because i already have plans for the summer. But i do believe that there were plenty of seats open at that time as well.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by ninim2200
A month or two ago, i was checking AA metal LAX to SYD and there was plenty of J seats in the month of August, almost every day had 2-3 seats minimum, these seats are all gone but there was a lot of seats available, the only reason i didn't book any because i already have plans for the summer. But i do believe that there were plenty of seats open at that time as well.
I noticed this last year also, there was lots of "U" inventory for SYD, BNE, and AKL on both QF and AA. However, that's Winter down there, not when I'd want to travel there.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:40 pm

BA pay AA kickbacks to force Award flyers to Europe to travel through UK?

I'm in the Washington DC area looking for a 57,500-mile J ticket to Europe this summer (prefer Italy, but also Spain or Switzerland or souther Germany).

It appears that there are no 57,500 J tickets from CLT or JFK to any non-UK cities. And, flying through LHR or LGW incurs a $414 carrier fee, it seems. Did BA use its "special relationship" (political commentary! ) with AA to convince AA to make Biz Saaver award flyers to Europe fly through UK so BA can collect its obscene carrier fee? If you use an Anytime award then there is no fee.

Odd, when flying JFK-DUB-LHR there is no $414 fee.

Why is AA forcing Saaver award flyers to fly through LHR instead of allowing them to go direct to a non-UK European city? I see that using a coach Saaver award requires a $228 fee to BA.

When looking at JFK-LHR award seats, it appears there are no Biz Saaver awards on AA equipment; you are forced to fly on BA and pay the carrier fee. There are coach Saaver seats on AA equipment, so no fee there.

Last edited by EQDsSUCK; Jan 29, 2017 at 2:48 pm
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is not a $414 fee for flying through London

when travelling on BA flights, there are carrier surcharges, but it is not going through London that is the reason for them

Book on AA JFK-LHR one way and it will cost $5.60

Since JFK-DUB is not on BA, there is no surcharge for that flight. If on BA from DUB-LHR, there will be a surcharge of (iirc) $30/$60 depending on whether travelling economy or business
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
There are no "kickbacks" or "bribery". Which of the following are you discussing?

AAdvantage award travel on BA incurs the BA "YQ" "carrier imposed surcharge", but then again iirc all award travel on BA incurs such. That means that there is a higher demand for awards on carriers that do not impose surcharges, or impose lower surcharges (such as Iberia).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Flying to the U.K. imposes no Air Passenger Duty, but connections of 24:00 hours or longer, or flights originating from most U.K. airports, incurs the U. K. APD: to the U.S., 146 standard for J or F (including upgrades) or 73 discounted (Coach, Y+).

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:03 pm

Its a joke that BA is paying AA kickbacks to force award travelers onto BA rather than AA flights to Europe. I didn't think anyone would really think there were kickbacks for that. I'll include a smiley face next time.

It seems like if you want to go to continental Europe on an AA Saaver Award ticket, you are mostly routed through the UK on BA rather than on an AA flight directly to whatever non-UK airport is your final destination.

It changes the notion of a Saaver ticket. AA has to pay BA a carrier fee (charged to consumer) to get BA to open Saaver award seats for Advantage members. AA does this so it can leave its own equipment open to paying customers (AA trying to increase profits, Elite Flyers feeling further squeezed--all par for the course, I suppose).

So a 30K Saaver ticket on BA (with the $259 carrier fee I see for June 13) is actually a 45K award ticket. If the mile value is 1.7 cents per mile then then $259 carrier fee is like paying an additional 15K miles.

The point of this is---it seems freaking difficult to fly to continental Europe on a Biz Saaver ticket on AA equipment. :-)
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I just buy revenue tix during the flash sales now. I can get $950-$1250 in biz to europe pretty much every year at some point in September for the following summer if I watch for the 1-2 deep sales during that period. Usually winds up costing just a hair more than the "free" award seat, doesnt cost miles and actually earns eqms, rdms and even eqds.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Check ZRH. The direct flight from/to JFK often has saver award availability.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
I just buy revenue tix during the flash sales now. I can get $950-$1250 in biz to europe pretty much every year at some point in September for the following summer if I watch for the 1-2 deep sales during that period. Usually winds up costing just a hair more than the "free" award seat, doesnt cost miles and actually earns eqms, rdms and even eqds.
Wow. Great tip. Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Check ZRH. The direct flight from/to JFK often has saver award availability.
Thanks. Finding a Saaver award seat on JFK-MXP seems super tough on any date.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
It seems like if you want to go to continental Europe on an AA Saaver Award ticket, you are mostly routed through the UK on BA rather than on an AA flight directly to whatever non-UK airport is your final destination.
If AA wanted to offer more seats on AA flights/aircraft for AA saver awards it could. However AA fly's non stop to a very limited number of Eu cites. These AA saver awards are highly sort after: more demand than availability.

You are over thinking this kickback/bribery conspiracy theory.
No one is forced to fly BA on an AA award. It always personal choice. You can say at home or pay a cash fare on a range of airlines. Frequent flyer award are never guaranteed. The $ that one ffp pays another ffp for award seats is unknown, but ffp's are a very profitable business (better than airlines)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.