Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:28 pm

I found a Saver First Class Award from SJC-SEA-DFW-Santa Fe NM. First Class on the Alaska portion and Coach on the DFW-Santa Fe portion due to the CRJ 200. Anyways I looked up the Coach Savers and they were limited and then I would end up paying for bags anyway.

Most of the Saver routings got me into Sana Fe at 10 PM vs 10 AM so that was also a no brainer to go with the First 25,000 Award. Second I can use the Alaska Lounge at SEA during the layover instead of the 4 hour layover in Y via PHX I can go up via SEA.

I saw ABQ and that too had me arriving too late in the day. The same amount of miles for ABQ and Santa Fe where I would pay $35 for a shuttle to Santa Fe.

So about 3.5 weeks before my departure date I got the probably only First Class Saver on Alaska and there is enough time in DFW too.

All in all if you see the Saver Fare grab it before its gone.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Paulchili
That alone is reason enough for me to ditch AA as direct award flights to Oz with either AA or QF are NON EXISTENT, whereas with UA I have availability daily on 3 different routings to Oz.
More if you are wiling to route thru China
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Blogger claimed there was J saver awards to Australia available in high season.
How about a link to this claim, please! Your summary is lacking way too many details.

1. Which blogger?
2. Saver AA metal, or just saver awards bookable on aa.com, or saver awards even if not bookable on aa.com? Not all of AA's partners show up on aa.com.
3. Did they define high season?
4. Were the flights actually bookable? Ie, was this temporary phantom availability or real availability?
5. How long ago was this? (Perhaps whatever there was got booked up by people who read it before you?)
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by sdsearch
How about a link to this claim, please! Your summary is lacking way too many details.
Noted by several prominent bloggers recently:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2017/01/19/unicorn-award-space-high-season-premium-cabin-saver-awards-australia-american-miles

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/01/19/american-business-class-awards-australia/

Award space mostly gone now.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:36 pm
jmw

Did you bother to read the comments, which are usually more useful than the actual blogger?

Don't assume bloggers do good work. But the same can be said about journalism in general today. Gary said several people were successful, but provided no proof. Sorry, but I'm not taking anyone's word nowadays regardless of the media outlet or blogger.

There is no proof that it's anything more than phantom space or that longhaul section was in economy. There were several comments calling out Gary about the lack of ACTUAL premium space in the longhaul.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by jmw
Did you bother to read the comments, which are usually more useful than the actual blogger?

Don't assume bloggers do good work.
Indeed, I did. You asked for links, which I provided. Agree entirely on your comments. I track AA award availability on a very frequent basis and agree that availability was overstated. That being said, I did book AA SAAver J awards to SYD in the past week.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
A reason why that happens is that UA will let you route thru Europe to Asia and thru Asia to Australia.
That alone is reason enough for me to ditch AA as direct award flights to Oz with either AA or QF are NON EXISTENT, whereas with UA I have availability daily on 3 different routings to Oz.
There are plenty of other reasons to quit the new AA (like lots of availability to EU with OS & TK, etc).
While true, I'd caution that it's gotten significantly harder to ticket UA Asia-U.S. awards via Europe (and vice versa) in the past 6 months. You're pretty much dependent on whatever UA.com is able to offer instead of feeding agents specific segments with availability should you want to route this direction. That being said, LH/OS/TK award availability in J isn't terrible. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
While true, I'd caution that it's gotten significantly harder to ticket UA Asia-U.S. awards via Europe (and vice versa) in the past 6 months. You're pretty much dependent on whatever UA.com is able to offer instead of feeding agents specific segments with availability should you want to route this direction. That being said, LH/OS/TK award availability in J isn't terrible. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Thank you - I appreciate that advice.
I would not book Asia to US via Europe (or v.v.) - plenty of direct awards available.
Only Oz via Asia (if necessary).
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akcae
I just redeemed 3xJ to EU in the peak summer travel time at 57.5K (and then got 10K rebated by Citi) so to *me* these miles are quite valuable.
Happy for you! ^
May I ask which citi(s) you are flying into/out of?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcae View Post
I just redeemed 3xJ to EU in the peak summer travel time at 57.5K (and then got 10K rebated by Citi) so to *me* these miles are quite valuable.

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Happy for you! ^
May I ask which citi(s) you are flying into/out of?
..and equally importantly - which airline (hopefully not BA, which is very easy to get if you are willing to pay the YQ)
Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..and equally importantly - which airline (hopefully not BA, which is very easy to get if you are willing to pay the YQ)
was gonna be my follow-up question!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I think most people don't want to go to Asia via Europe, but if no TPAC availability then united.com will show routings via Europe with availability.

There are two reasons I will route via Europe going to asia.

1) My origin in NA and destination in Asia do not provide for a latenight deperature that arrives early morning. If you are limited to flights that depart midday or even afternoon, a TATL evening/latenight departure can get you to asia several hours or even half a day earlier.

2) If I am forced to book a partner F award to asia, I'd rather get LH F-LH F if available rather than OZ/NH F then a regional J. (unless I'm like that guy going to SIN and can book NH F-NH F)
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
absolutely no AA J availability LAX-LHR or DFW-AA for the end of schedule/next December. I'm guessing releasing them at max time is a thing of the past indeed. Just gotta hope and pray for the crumbs they throw us now?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'm guessing releasing them at max time is a thing of the past indeed.
They haven't done that for a long time, nor does it really make sense for them to do so.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Just gotta hope and pray for the crumbs they throw us now?
Basically correct for most destinations on AA metal especially up front.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.