Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by millionmiler
Its true that I have not given you specific evidence that my statement is correct. Never the less, you are incorrect. You can choose to believe it or not.
The world is flat.

Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Gary has hit the nail on the head. I've been astonished how bad it has become.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by glocklt4
We'll see at the next major bear market how this all works out for them and whether the changes they are making will be sustainable.
The US airline industry has essentially become an oligarchy, expect little in the way of changes during the next economic downturn. Carriers will extract concessions from labor to help reduce costs, possibly use bankruptcy to get out of lease obligations, will have little incentive to improve benefits.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Good article, and thanks for sharing.

I don't know what's more upsetting to me...

They either annoy me by having no nonstop J seats from LAX-JFK.
or They insult me by suggesting LAX-SFO-DFW-JFK (with two of those segments being the dreaded "Requested cabin is not available on one or more flights.")
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
They have successfully reset mine.
Mine too.
On an upcoming trip to CLE & DTW, I chose to pay more for direct nonstop UA flights even though with AA (1 connection) I could have MCE seats for free while I have to sit in the back on UA. The non stop flight and the fact that I can actually use the UA miles that I will earn, unlike those that I would have earned with AA, made the decision easy for me (even at a higher price).
That is money that AA will not see (they would have in the past)
In the past I would have chosen AA because of less money and more miles, even though it is a longer flight with a connection. Not any more.

Last edited by Paulchili; Feb 6, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Definitely.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:45 pm

Wow...I guess I've been out of touch a while. I was debating whether I should book the CX BKK-HKG-LAX I have on hold in F for 110k vs going in J for 70k. I thought...maybe the 40k miles will come in handy, and I should just go J. Now it sounds like I ought to burn miles as fast and as liberally as I possibly can!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
Definitely.
I wonder if AA even realizes how poor their availability is compared to their peers? Even Delta, with their dreaded sky pesos, offer much more saver availability than AA.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rendezvous
I wonder if AA even realizes how poor their availability is compared to their peers?
I do tend to wonder that myself.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by rendezvous
I wonder if AA even realizes how poor their availability is compared to their peers? Even Delta, with their dreaded sky pesos, offer much more saver availability than AA.
Aren't there annual surveys which get a lot of publicity?

Don't they ask AA for comment?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, UA 1mm,HHonors Diamond
Extremely frustrating afternoon looking at award space. Never even planned on this making me mad. Booking an award on Etihad CLT-ORD-AUH in J. I found availability on Etihad but there is no Saver availability on the CLT-ORD leg so now instead of 70,000 miles I am looking at 95,000. Past years this was never an issue.

Last edited by bmrsjohn; Feb 6, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The only way to redeem miles on AA metal is standard awards. That's it. Biz saver? BA plus $1200.

Ugh. You suck American.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
Ugh. You suck American.
Incisive.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
One thing unrelated to this that I wish worked was an actual "AA only" calendar search. I'm sure that functionality would be extremely simple to implement but it just won't work. That'd at least help find the few Biz savers...
Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kudos to Gary for his research and report!!! ^^^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.