Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Had been watching Lax-NRT/HND routes (had expertflyer alerts set up) for the past month for travel this week. They finally open some C upgrade space around 24hrs out but zero award biz saver seats
I know someone on the NRT flight today and 1/2 of the biz cabin went out empty
luckily I found Jal award seat and flew them over in F

I’ve been looking for ANYTHING from Asia (HND NRT HKG PEK BKK etc) during the summer at saver and see zero. There’s outbound but zero inbound. Do they ever open seats (esp J) closer in?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:07 am

Is it possible to ever book LAX-SYD in biz? Scanning the entire year, not a single seat.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Is it possible to ever book LAX-SYD in biz? Scanning the entire year, not a single seat.
Yes, and First Class. But you can't rely on AA.com to tell you what's available. You frequently need to find availability elsewhere (BA.com) and then call in.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
A heads up, found some J availability in the 6:30 am Bos-Lax 3 class in early September for 25k miles (should be 32.5k if they meant to release them at all).

if anyone finds J or F saver Lax-Jfk or LAX -Bos, please send me a PM. They used to have a couple of flights with saver award lax-JFK RT released for summer 2019 but that practice seems to have ended.

5 (!!) U spots for AA 184 on 7/8, according to EF. You can take your family and friends with you.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
There are TATL J saver awards out of the Bay Area but they're typically 20-25 hours each way and of course carry hefty fees, like $1200.

So I checked some transcons and the only nonstop J transcons I see are redeeming on AS for 50k, either SFO or SJC to EWR. There may have been some to JFK as well.

Has anyone redeemed AS domestic J savers with AA miles? They seem to fly 737s in a 2-2 config. Maybe some of these are former Virgin America flights, so the soft and hard product may vary?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by wco81
There are TATL J saver awards out of the Bay Area but they're typically 20-25 hours each way and of course carry hefty fees, like $1200.

So I checked some transcons and the only nonstop J transcons I see are redeeming on AS for 50k, either SFO or SJC to EWR. There may have been some to JFK as well.

Has anyone redeemed AS domestic J savers with AA miles? They seem to fly 737s in a 2-2 config. Maybe some of these are former Virgin America flights, so the soft and hard product may vary?
AS has become my primary carrier, based on the growth in service out of my home base of SAN. 737's typically have 12F seats, hard product is consistent with AA's domestic business - limited recline. There are power outlets at each seat, F customers will receive a tablet with preloaded entertainment, to supplement the free streaming options. SJC will likely be on a 737, SFO may be in LVX A320, I have no personal experience with the latter. Soft product generally varies, my meal and service experience is typically equal to or better than current AA offerings - particularly on dinner flights. For more details: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ce/first-class
AS is planning to add new Recaro its F seats on all aircraft this year https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...craft-upgrades

Is it worth 50k miles RT? I would say definitely yes for evening and afternoon meal flights, borderline if you can get Y+ for 10k to 12.5k miles.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Thanks, at least a possible option for redemptions.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Avios
Interesting AA scarcity article

https://travelingformiles.com/this-is-why-some-american-airlines-elite-benefits-are-a-joke/?utm_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=BoardingArea
Colin, enviroian, sdsearch and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
great article and well written. This guy sounds like a FT'er to me.

Of course AA management couldn't care less.
richarddd and chitink like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
great article and well written. This guy sounds like a FT'er to me.

Of course AA management couldn't care less.
He really shows how foolhardy it is to keep collecting AA miles.They treat their best customers with contempt.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
And this doesn't even touch on the absurd married segment nonsense. As an example, from Miami, you have to fly MIA-CLT-LHR, but from Charlotte, you have to fly CLT-MIA-LHR. Makes absolutely zero sense to add extra segments and remove capacity which can be used for paying pax just to discourage use of direct flights (I understand they are trying to force you to a cash purchase to avoid the connection, but they are essentially giving us the finger by doing this).

I am trying to go from CDG-MIA this summer on a 747 in F but cannot. It won't connect me through LHR, so I tried to book just LHR-MIA as I can get a cheap flight to LHR from CDG. Nope - it will only route me through BOS. I tried just LHR-JFK - nope. Still through BOS - won't send me LHR-JFK on any combo I tried except LHR-CLT. So, I booked that and will book my own flights CDG-LHR/CLT-MIA. Just utter nonsense. (I want to fly in F on a 747 before they disappear, so this is the price I have to pay).
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:16 am

the only way it makes sense is if AA thinks that pricey & inconvenient award travel drives more paid travel revenue than it loses through member dissatisfaction with the program.

one certainly can't argue it is unknowable proposition, as AA is running quite the experiment these days.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Colin
the only way it makes sense is if AA thinks that pricey & inconvenient award travel drives more paid travel revenue than it loses through member dissatisfaction with the program.

one certainly can't argue it is unknowable proposition, as AA is running quite the experiment these days.
AA's award travel policy drives me to paid revenue travel, usually on Delta, when reasonable award travel is unavailable.
Happy and enviroian like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Colin

Well they are probably trying to see how badly they can treat us before we leave.I have 286k of AA miles that I have been trying to use for around 3 years or so.I will probably bite the bullet and pay the Anytime price and then close the account.I have been with AA from 1983.Living in Miami,AA was the dominant carrier.With Jetblue now growing out of FLL there is a much better choice close by.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
And this doesn't even touch on the absurd married segment nonsense. As an example, from Miami, you have to fly MIA-CLT-LHR, but from Charlotte, you have to fly CLT-MIA-LHR. Makes absolutely zero sense to add extra segments and remove capacity which can be used for paying pax just to discourage use of direct flights (I understand they are trying to force you to a cash purchase to avoid the connection, but they are essentially giving us the finger by doing this).
If you want to get really into the married segment weeds, venture into the world of outstations and trying to find award space using a partner miles currency. I'd like to figure out how to burn some Alaska miles (Alaska doesn't fly anywhere particularly close to me) and a search on their web site to redeem for American tickets gets me:

1) only mixed cabin options with of course the transtlantic leg in Y

2) routings like DUB-PHL-TPA-CLT-VPS (yes, I have to go into Florida twice in order to get home) or DUB-PHL-PVD-DCA-VPS or DUB-PHL-GSO-DCA-VPS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.