Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Here's a total outrage. Tomorrow, on AA flight 44 JFK-CDG, there are SIXTY unassigned seats in economy. I know a few may actually be sold and unassigned, but... SIXTY! And there is not ONE single economy saver seat to be had. How can they even think to justify such a thing? They KNOW they're not going to sell those seats in the next day, the seats will be going out EMPTY, which AA obviously prefers to allowing miles to be redeemed fairly in a nearly incremental-cost-free way.

(The only saver seats the site is showing for tomorrow are BA ones, which as we all know aren't award seats at all.)
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia
Just a heads up to anyone that's interested, I'm finding good Business Saver availability on FCO-PHL-ORD for early March 2019. I booked on 3/2. Expertflyer is showing U6, U5, U7, U7 for 3/2,3/3,3/4 and 3/5 respectively. Also some C space for anyone with SWUs to burn. I'm not used to seeing that.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
In years past, I have had luck with U awards 4-5 days before the flight, especially around the holidays (on CX, JL and AA). This year, nothing.

Trying to go from HOU-BKK/SIN/SGN/HKG/CGK.. somewhere in the SE Asia region and can't find anything. Been looking for months and nothing, but was hoping as we got closer, they'd open stuff up.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Antarius
In years past, I have had luck with U awards 4-5 days before the flight, especially around the holidays (on CX, JL and AA). This year, nothing.

Trying to go from HOU-BKK/SIN/SGN/HKG/CGK.. somewhere in the SE Asia region and can't find anything. Been looking for months and nothing, but was hoping as we got closer, they'd open stuff up.

Any thoughts?
It could be phantom space, but I see some JL options from LAX to HAN and SGN departing on 12/25. There also appears to be U availability IAH-LAX on an early morning AA flight. TPE/TSA is another potential option, but that might require an overnight in TYO. In general, I see quite a few days next week with JL availability on LAX/ORD-NRT.

Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
It could be phantom space, but I see some JL options from LAX to HAN and SGN departing on 12/25. There also appears to be U availability IAH-LAX on an early morning AA flight. TPE/TSA is another potential option, but that might require an overnight in TYO. In general, I see quite a few days next week with JL availability on LAX/ORD-NRT.
Thanks! I spent a while on the phone with the EXP desk. will call back and see if I can request that.

EDIT:
not sure what the AAgent was seeing. Was able to book IAH-LAX-HKG-SIN in U with no issues. Thanks again. Was having some issues with the QF website earlier, but once i was able to use that, could find what I was hoping for. Wasn't able to see the JL routing with the second agent though, although from SIN, its easy to bounce around as desired.

aa.com award search though... oof.
flyingeph12 likes this.

Last edited by Antarius; Dec 22, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks! I spent a while on the phone with the EXP desk. will call back and see if I can request that.

EDIT: not sure what the AAgent was seeing. Was able to book IAH-LAX-HKG-SIN in U with no issues. Thanks again. Was having some issues with the QF website earlier, but once i was able to use that, could find what I was hoping for.

aa.com award search... oof.
AA agents are very much a mixed bags these days.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:57 am

EDIT:
not sure what the AAgent was seeing. Was able to book IAH-LAX-HKG-SIN in U with no issues. Thanks again. Was having some issues with the QF website earlier, but once i was able to use that, could find what I was hoping for. Wasn't able to see the JL routing with the second agent though, although from SIN, its easy to bounce around as desired.

aa.com award search though... oof.
been looking a long time for bus saver award dfw to hkg (non stop),never available, they're very stingy with that route
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by DCJoe1
Here is what I saw- on or about Nov 15, AA opened up a TON of saaver business space on AA metal to Europe for the period of around July 15-Sept 1, 2019. Historically high levels- I personally booked 2 sets of awards for 4 people and 5 people. It wasn't every day and every route, but most city pairs had at least 4 days per week with availability, but not much from the US west coast. All seemed to be from midwest and east coast, and required connections through a US gateway- so CLT-BCN on its own wasn't available, but DCA-CLT-BCN and CLT-PHL-BCN were. I have never seen availability like this before on AA metal. I knew how rare it was and grabbed flights for my family and convinced some family and friends to also even though they had no solid plans before then. This all happened within a 2 days period because I knew how rare this availability was and convinced them it was the time to strike while the iron was hot. I even tried to come here to post about it but couldn't find this thread because it had been 3 weeks since a new post had been made, so it was deeper than I looked in the directory. I kept an eye on things fot a few more days, and yeah, within 3 days a lot of the availability was gone, and within 5 days it was all gone, so around Nov. 20 or 21. In all my family and friends booked a total of 18 one-way saaver business award seats, burning through just over 1 million miles. It was a good few days!
Seeing similar availability again to Europe from July 15-August 20. Some flights have 4-5 Saaver tickets in J. Make sure you choose the "AA flights only" option in the advanced search. Go and grab what you can.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it possible to combine an AA flight where there is AAnytime (but no sAAver) availability with a partner award? Or do I need two separate awards to do this?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Or do I need two separate awards to do this?
Yes
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Aa would rather have empty cabin instead of releasing award seats

Had been watching Lax-NRT/HND routes (had expertflyer alerts set up) for the past month for travel this week. They finally open some C upgrade space around 24hrs out but zero award biz saver seats
I know someone on the NRT flight today and 1/2 of the biz cabin went out empty
luckily I found Jal award seat and flew them over in F

Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
A heads up, found some J availability in the 6:30 am Bos-Lax 3 class in early September for 25k miles (should be 32.5k if they meant to release them at all).

if anyone finds J or F saver Lax-Jfk or LAX -Bos, please send me a PM. They used to have a couple of flights with saver award lax-JFK RT released for summer 2019 but that practice seems to have ended.

Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Had been watching Lax-NRT/HND routes (had expertflyer alerts set up) for the past month for travel this week. They finally open some C upgrade space around 24hrs out but zero award biz saver seats
I know someone on the NRT flight today and 1/2 of the biz cabin went out empty
luckily I found Jal award seat and flew them over in F

Double edged sword. More award space likely means less upgrade space. There definitely have been times that we nabbed the last two J seats which would've definitely been harder had they been opened for awards.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
if anyone finds J or F saver Lax-Jfk ...
Do you guys know if they release any last minute J/F sAAver awards for LAX-JFK? Anything at all?
Or even anytime, but something lower than 85K miles? What a joke this thing has become
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Do you guys know if they release any last minute J/F sAAver awards for LAX-JFK? Anything at all?
Or even anytime, but something lower than 85K miles? What a joke this thing has become
I don't check that route daily but I have not seen late inventory in the times that I have checked for quite a while. It probably happens but, yeah, it has become a joke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.