Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Married segment logic is in play again. For example I've found OKC-DFW-LHR or OKC-ORD-CDG in U available (yes on AA metal), but DFW-LHR or ORD-CDG are not. Insane but it is what it is. Could theoretically benefit some people while screwing others.
Hmmm I tried a few with OKC as a matter of fact and got BA metal awards but nothing on AA. That said, I didn't try everything and most of it was over the next 4-6 weeks. Extremely frustrating given that it should be simple to go hub to hub, but whatever.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by longhorn11
Hmmm I tried a few with OKC as a matter of fact and got BA metal awards but nothing on AA. That said, I didn't try everything and most of it was over the next 4-6 weeks. Extremely frustrating given that it should be simple to go hub to hub, but whatever.
It is simple - with AAnytime awards on AA metal. That's AA's point. It's just another mechanism to extract a hub premium.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
I thought I'd check back here to see if there have been any positive stories to share since I've chosen to move all of my business over to DL. As an NYC flier, I'm finding more and more confirmation that I made the right decision. I've been incredibly flexible in trying to find ways to use my measly 315,000 AAdvantage mile balance. I've deployed 1.5 million miles exclusively on sAAver tickets, over the past 15 years, and have NEVER had an issue getting what I wanted, so long as I was proactive and watched closely. Now? Doesn't matter, they simply don't seem to exist. I'm blowing the bank on some AAnytime tickets over the xmas week JFK-LAX where 60,000 mile coach round trip would cost my $900/ticket out of pocket. At least that's better than most of DL's exchange options...so I'll just swallow the pill and deal.

The days of FF mile value are gone. Oh well, just need to accept the new reality.
cmx likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by AALoyalNYC
I thought I'd check back here to see if there have been any positive stories to share since I've chosen to move all of my business over to DL. As an NYC flier, I'm finding more and more confirmation that I made the right decision. I've been incredibly flexible in trying to find ways to use my measly 315,000 AAdvantage mile balance. I've deployed 1.5 million miles exclusively on sAAver tickets, over the past 15 years, and have NEVER had an issue getting what I wanted, so long as I was proactive and watched closely. Now? Doesn't matter, they simply don't seem to exist.
Have you tried going to Asia? AA metal is junk, but there's plenty of opportunity for EY/JL F, some for CX F and plenty of J on all three plus QR with few/no surcharges. Hell, CX had 5 (downgraded to 4 with the A350-900) seats per day almost every day on IAD-HKG and back.

I'm blowing the bank on some AAnytime tickets over the xmas week JFK-LAX where 60,000 mile coach round trip would cost my $900/ticket out of pocket. At least that's better than most of DL's exchange options...so I'll just swallow the pill and deal.

The days of FF mile value are gone. Oh well, just need to accept the new reality.
Only if your reality is flying exclusively in the US/Europe. I don't mind people moving to DL though, fewer competitors for great seats to the places I want to go.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Oct 24, 2018 at 11:15 am
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: aadvantage
Has American DRASTICALLY reduced saver availablility?

I have been planning a trip next fall that would involve a flight from CLT to FCO. Although it is too early to book for the date I am interested in, I have been monitoring for about a month the availability of saver awards in business class for that route. On more days than not throughout the summer of 2019, there has been multiple options for saver award travel. This was true through 11/20. However, when I checked on 11/21, all saver availability on American flights CLT-FCO in summer 2019 was gone. I had to go all the way back to early April to find one available saver option. Overnight, at least 100 saver awards options disappeared on that one route. Does anyone have any insight into what is going on? Is this also true on other routes? Does this represent a secretive and MASSIVE reduction in the value of AAdvantage points?
Kneel likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by azalea4va
I have been planning a trip next fall that would involve a flight from CLT to FCO. Although it is too early to book for the date I am interested in, I have been monitoring for about a month the availability of saver awards in business class for that route. On more days than not throughout the summer of 2019, there has been multiple options for saver award travel. This was true through 11/20. However, when I checked on 11/21, all saver availability on American flights CLT-FCO in summer 2019 was gone. I had to go all the way back to early April to find one available saver option. Overnight, at least 100 saver awards options disappeared on that one route. Does anyone have any insight into what is going on? Is this also true on other routes? Does this represent a secretive and MASSIVE reduction in the value of AAdvantage points?
This type of inventory "glitch" happens every so often and is nothing to stress over, give it a few days and everything will most likely come back.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:24 am

U might be on to something. Lol.

summer avail for U will come and go. Just need to keep checking. And dont forget about married segment logic now.

Originally Posted by azalea4va
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Last week, I suddenly found Biz Class saver awards to Europe through PHL for travel in Late May 2019. I was shocked as I had looked for them and they were elusive.

i found PHL to LHR on American to BA to FRA, with only a $23 fee.

Tons of return saver biz space on BA in early-mid June and was able to book FRA to LHR to directly into BNA on BA. I think the service charge was under $500.

When I tried to book as a round trip, with the same flights, the fees were over $700. This might be common knowledge in the FT world, but you save fees by booking two one ways.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AA GLD,DL,UA
About a month ago I reported that economy saver availability TUL-KBP disappeared less than 14 days out. Other FT members verified the same from other cities to a variety of cities at availability days of more than 7 to 21..

Unfortunately this does not appear to be a glitch but an undocumented lessening of International economy saver awards.

Apparently the OP is running into a similar situation in Business

Last edited by Kneel; Nov 23, 2018 at 10:45 am
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve seen SAAver inventory come and go instantly in the last three years since I’ve been flying AA and using mileage for award flights. Last year (2017) was worse in my experience than the current year. If last year is any indication, there was new SAAver inventory added for the fall just after the first of the year.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did American drastically INCREASE saver availability (before it decreased it)?

Ie, last week just before this, I suddenly saw plenty of saver business class availability on LAX-EZE (through DFW) on a Friday next [North American] summer, which had never been available for months (days surrounding it had been available for some time on and off, but I specifically want to leave on that Friday). I booked it, and then a couple days later, all days disappeared.

And I see above that other people had a similar experiences, with better availability right before no availability.

And, as mentioned above, this "yo-yo" aspect of AA saver has come and gone and come and gone and come and gone before.

And I wonder if sometimes it's because they "accidentally" increase availability, and then when they discover that "accident" they take it all down until they can fix it and bring availability back to "low normal"?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Just FYI, there's an existing thread on this topic here:
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:08 pm

I've been looking for business class one way from HKG to DFW, for weeks for travel at end of November, early december, never see any, but there's always anytime economy, is it worth calling or is the online calendar accurate.?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bernyx
I've been looking for business class one way from HKG to DFW, for weeks for travel at end of November, early december, never see any, but there's always anytime economy, is it worth calling or is the online calendar accurate.?
Don't forget CX isn't bookable/searchable online.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bernyx
The online calendar is likely correct. Don't limit yourself to AA, though. CX and JL are 1-stop options (you can search via BA).

You might also consider just purchasing a one-way ticket. The best deals are generally to LAX/SFO (you would then purchase a separate ticket, paid or award, to get to DFW). Additionally, if you are somewhat more adventurous, you might look into purchasing the ticket starting in PEK, CAN, or PVG (and use an award ticket to get there from HKG)fares from Mainland China are even cheaper than HKG, generally.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.