Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 5:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bttc
As long as I change to my AA number (using finnair or whatnot), precheck always comes up fine.
I use BA points for hundreds of domestic AA trips and just manually enter the KTN in the AA record after pulling up the record on AA.com. PreCheck comes up when we do OLCI in the same way it does if we used AA miles or a regular paid ticket for the AA flights.

And we still see Priority Access benefits for AA flights for non-AA/non-OW elites on BA-issued award tickets.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by karolinatx
This just happened to me. So frustrating. Flying tomorrow on ticket booked with Avios via BA. I'd done everything suggested here -- gotten my AA record locator, even called AA and had them toss my BA Executive Club number out of the reservation and add in my AAdvantage number. Added my KTN to the reservation. Just now before checking in online I double-checked that the KTN was on the reservation. Checked in ... and no pre-check.

I have an extremely tight morning before my flight tomorrow so it stinks that I'll still have to stand in line like a chump to get my KTN added and boarding pass re-issued even though I dotted all my i's and crossed all my t's.

FWIW, I flew on AA with an Avios ticket three weeks ago and the same exact thing happened, so I call shenanigans.
Have you flown on AA with a revenue ticket in the meantime? If so, something in your avios profile is causing TSA to kick out your clearance. If not, you are being denied randomly (random can include 2-3 times) or as the result of some other issue.

"Shenaningans?" There is nothing in it for BA, AA, TSA or for you.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:16 am

Did anyone with TSA precheck ever have success getting to the front of the security lines even though he wasn't flying with a participating airline? I believe I saw someone flying Spirit Airlines mentioning his TSA precheck and he got to skip the line.
I have never tried it before but it could be worth mentioning it.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Loss of TSA Precheck with US/AA merger?

Having been a long time USAIR Chairman Preferred I was automatically enrolled in the TSA Precheck program at its inception which I have very much enjoyed. When the official rollover occurred last week of the two sites I noted I was no longer getting Precheck on my boarding passes. I inquired with AA and was told that TSA was no longer honoring the status of those who were given it by virtue of status and that I would have to apply for Precheck through the normal application process. That sucks!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Welcome to FT!

I'm afraid the timing of the US/AA merger is entirely coincidental; this is the TSA's own move and own timing.

See What is the Current Status of the original TSA Pre-Check program?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
This thread prompted me to look into enrolling. I called TSA and the recorded information about Precheck said that travelers invited by their airline are still eligible for Precheck.

So, there are 3 ways to obtain Precheck.

1. Apply for Precheck
2. Apply for Global Entry
3. By invitation from your airline

So a few things:

-It appears that TSA will honor anyone already enrolled via an airline.
-The message said that one would only have Precheck for the enrolled airline, not with another airline.

For the OP, I think that since he/she was enrolled via US, that did not transfer to AA and since AA is no longer sending invites, the only way to get Precheck is to apply.

For those already enrolled via AA, Precheck will still exist.

Here's the number I called for TSA in case anyone wants to hear the message: 866-289-9673.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
If you have a KTN, Known Traveler Number, you could enter it on your AA profile and you might randomly get it. When Precheck started, it was originally offered to top elite members of carriers. Eventually TSA eliminated that requirement once they offered paid PRE Check to general members and now it is only offered to Global Entry, Nexus, or those that sign up for Precheck. In the end, if you want it, you have to pay for it. The merger is purely coincidental.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - You have misunderstood the original program and also what has happened.

You were never enrolled by virtue of status. It was simply that a very high percentage of people who were offered membership in the trial program had status on a participating carrier. There were quite a few regular fliers who had the privilege extended without elite status. Bear in mind that Pre-Check is a government program and status was simply a likely source of people with good histories for TSA to examine.

Over two years ago, TSA announced that it was phasing out the original pilot program and that those so enrolled would see their selection % drop over time. That is now at or close to zero. It has nothing to do with the US acquisition of AA.

You may enroll in Pre-Check just like everybody else, through Global Entry ($100/5 years) or TSA Pre-Check ($85/5 years). Nexus might also be a possibility depending on where you live.

Presuming that you had no issues during your time in the pilot program, you should have no issues now.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
ossikelly, welcome to the posting side of Flyertalk ^

As this is specific to the merged AA, we'll move this to the AA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I did the GOES route, for the extra $15 it was well worth it

As an EXP you obviously fly a lot so is the time savings (not too mention hassle savings) worth $100 to you over five years, I would hope so
Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by Often1
There were quite a few regular fliers who had the privilege extended without elite status.
Correct. DL, where I had no status, enrolled me in precheck in 2014, probably because I had flown DL/AF to CDG (on an irrop from US, as it happened), and I received precheck on every DL flight that year. I don't know whether it would still be in effect, because since then I've enrolled in Nexus.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:48 am

OP, welcome to your first posting. You should definitely consider applying for Global Entry. TSA pre is not only a time saver but also saves you a lot a headaches by not having to stand in the regular line. I had a few times when TSA pre was closed or I was flying internationally and I had to go through the regular tedious annoying line and I wowed I would not do without my Global Entry/TSA pre status.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I noticed that my PreCheck disappeared from my profile on AA.com (the green text). However, I still get it due to global entry.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I did the GOES route, for the extra $15 it was well worth it

As an EXP you obviously fly a lot so is the time savings (not too mention hassle savings) worth $100 to you over five years, I would hope so
Plus the AA Barclay card will issue a statement credit if you use it to pay for Global Entry ^
(basically giving it to you for free)
Old Oct 31, 2015, 12:26 pm

That would just be the Aviator Silver, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.