Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Went through LAX this morning. As mentioned in the previous post, there was a dedicated line for PreCheck. I had my mobile boarding pass and just went into that line without a question. Was a breeze. A million times better than MIA.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by sukn
Just want to clarify, keys and wallet do NOT need to be placed in the bin. They can stay in your pocket. Only your cell phone needs to go in the bin.
Thanks, you are right. All my "stuff" is in my purse, so I never carry anything in my pockets, anyway.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I finally got around to signing up for this tonight - thanks to all for the guidance.

I will get to test this at LAX on Monday January 30.

If you just signed up for this, have you had your airport interview, etc.? This process takes a bit of time.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by doodiedan
Went through LAX this morning. As mentioned in the previous post, there was a dedicated line for PreCheck. I had my mobile boarding pass and just went into that line without a question. Was a breeze. A million times better than MIA.
The problem with MIA is with the TT lane there are now only two screening lanes at that D entrance. That in turn has forced a back up to get to the ID/BP checker. For TT paxs is still well worth but for everyone else it sucks.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
0 for 3 at DFW

0 for 3 so far when I've tried C30 at DFW. Using mobile boarding pass.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The TSA officer said no LLL on his BP.
So who does get LLL on their BP?

I've only got through Pre once so far, on 1/21, but anyway, I almost always use OLCI. My OLCI BP did not say BP on 1/21, but it did show the TSA agent LLL when it was scanned. But obviously no way a TSA officer could tell that without scanning my BP. (Now, I could always dig the Nexus card out of my wallet -- and then out of its pretective shield -- but that's a bit time-consuming, and I fear that a TSA agent who doesn't know that LLL doesn't print on all boarding passes also wouldn't know what a Nexus card is or would tell me "this isn't Canada here!" )

Do you get LLL on:

OLCI BP? (home printout)
Kiosk BP? (flimsy paper)
Agent BP? (stiff paper)
Mobile BP? (no paper)
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
So who does get LLL on their BP?

I've only got through Pre once so far, on 1/21, but anyway, I almost always use OLCI. My OLCI BP did not say BP on 1/21, but it did show the TSA agent LLL when it was scanned. But obviously no way a TSA officer could tell that without scanning my BP. (Now, I could always dig the Nexus card out of my wallet -- and then out of its pretective shield -- but that's a bit time-consuming, and I fear that a TSA agent who doesn't know that LLL doesn't print on all boarding passes also wouldn't know what a Nexus card is or would tell me "this isn't Canada here!" )

Do you get LLL on:

OLCI BP? (home printout)
Kiosk BP? (flimsy paper)
Agent BP? (stiff paper)
Mobile BP? (no paper)
I think what was meant was that the TSA checker said no LLL showed up when he scanned the boarding pass.

I've done OLCI (home printout), Kiosk (flimsy paper) and Agent (stiff paper), and none of them have ever shown LLL until scanned.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
So just went through security at MIA...as mentioned before, the checkpoint is a disaster...I've never seen a "priority access" line that long.

The good news is....I GOT the LLL....this is travelling MAD-MIA-DFW, and also using a boarding pass printed out at the ticket counter. I had them reprint the BP in MIA just in case that mattered.

So I guess you can get the LLL on an international itinerary (I don't think this was answered definitively yet).
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:17 pm

Interestingly enough,

I usually get LLL on my BP at ORD. First Line is name, and next line is LLL with flight number (or the reverse?). This is by scanning my mobile boarding pass almost everytime. Some times I just dont notice the reader. I have been traveling through there quite often recently.

I did not think of it much until I read this thread. I have not gone through DFW or MIA at the above mentioned check-ins though.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
International flights are not yet eligible You got the LLL on the domestic segment, right?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gooseman13
So I guess you can get the LLL on an international itinerary (I don't think this was answered definitively yet).
From you experience, we can deduce that you can get LLL on an international itinerary only if you have just domestic segments remaining. Others have tried it when flying a domestic segment with international flights remaining on their booking, and have failed.

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
If you just signed up for this, have you had your airport interview, etc.? This process takes a bit of time.
I would assume that freeupgrade was able to opt-in through his AA status, or just got around to entering his PASSID from a CBP TT program of which he was already a member. Either way, no interview or processing time is required.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Used Pre-Check for the first time, this morning at LAX. Checked in at the Flagship room, and was then led up to the top level. A TSA clerk was asking people if they were Pre-Check, and bringing them to the front of the line. I identified myself as a member, had my BP scanned, and saw the LLL appear on the display. The clerk working the TDC opened up the special line for Pre-Check.

The checkpoint that this is located at does not have a NoS. If you do not get LLL, you can still use the checkpoint, but they have you use the right side (also no NoS).

Looking forward to the expansion of the program!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:50 pm
In memoriam

I didn't read all 950 posts. One question to clarify my understanding. If I qualify I do not have to go through the radiation scanner after going through the metal detector? This would be the major benefit I'd be interested in (to avoid the patdown necessitated by the optout from the scanner).

Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Went through LAX on Saturday, didn't get the LLL this time, but with LAX's premium setup it doesn't really matter. There are no NoS and the regular line moves relatively quickly even having to go through all of the theatrics (removing shoes, liquids, etc.). I love the separation of the premium security process from the average Joe Kettles, so much faster!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by normcpa
I didn't read all 950 posts. One question to clarify my understanding. If I qualify I do not have to go through the radiation scanner after going through the metal detector? This would be the major benefit I'd be interested in (to avoid the patdown necessitated by the optout from the scanner).

Thanks.
Even though gemac would have you believe otherwise , as documented by other's observation and experience, there are only metal detectors (two of them to be exact, one for each lane) in the PA screening room 4A. You do not have to go through the "radiation scanners" at all if you use 4A, regardless of whether your boarding pass scans LLL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.