Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX AA T-4 - TBIT secure airside connector (open Feb 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DWFI
LAX Secure Connector Terminal 4 <--> Tom Bradley International Terminal
Secure airside passage between Terminal 4 and TBIT opened 25 Feb 2016; T3 access is near Gate 41.

International arrivals security is open now; after dropping baggage off at the recheck facility proceed as if you were going to the curb. Turn right as you approach the exit to signage indicating the 40s gates. The baggage recheck facility and new south terminals bus port - replacing T-4 Gate 44 - are scheduled to open in the future. See page 1 for photos and guidance..

NOTE: LAX / LAWA allows passengers with a same day boarding pass access to any terminal. See Twitter link.

One can now travel between AA Terminal 4 and Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) via the new secure airside connector (two way airside access is here, as arriving international passengers can now clear Security after they process USCBP formalities), and to proceed airside between TBIT, the American Airlines and the legacy US Airways / Alaska terminals without leaving Security via airside.

In T-4, the access to the south terminals airside tunnel is from Gate 44, signposted "Terminal Transfer" (the current bus transfer gate). Take the escalator down to Gate 44, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. There is an elevator located to the right of the escalators (inside a little hallway) that will take you directly to the tunnels. Please consult the LAX terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6. (TWA884)

A shuttle bus from ground level near Gate 44 at T-4 and another bus port at T-5 connect to the Remote (American Eagle) terminal, with its own Club.

A walkthrough Youtube video is available at Post #16:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26244110-post16.html

Link to John Nguyen's article on Airline Reporter (with video of T-4 to TBIT walk). "Arguably, the biggest beneficiary to the connector is American Airlines, whose T4 is immediately adjacent to TBIT, and in fact has an agreement with the airport to operate several gates out of TBIT. The connector eliminates the need for passengers on Qantas flights to take a shuttle bus, as the walk from T4 to the TBIT gates should take around 5-10 minutes at a medium pace. In fact, it was measured at just under 4 minutes from Gate 41 to the entrance of the Oneworld First Class Lounge operated by Qantas."

You can now process security at TBIT (assuming you have a mobile or printed boarding pass) and walk to T-4:

See Microwave's post #232 for photos and detailed information.

Originally Posted by Microwave
I just used it departing from Los Angeles on Sunday, so it's definitely accessible from landside for local departures. Check in online or on your mobile so you have your BP to hand when you arrive, then have your driver deposit you on the arrivals level, at the far side of TBIT near the Shuttle Express stand. Go in the sliding doors which lead to the international arrivals area and turn immediately left: voila, the secret checkpoint. Once you clear security, take the lift up to level 5 and you can go either direction to T4 or TBIT; if you head toward the latter, you will be rather conveniently deposited directly at the Qantas First lounge entrance without having to fight any crowds.
This thread is about the airside connection walkway between AA Terminal 4 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal / TBIT. For archived posts made prior to the opening, please see here.

NOTE: LAX TBIT oneworld Premium / oneworld Business lounge and oneworld Qantas First lounge and access rules here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.

NOTE: Shuttle busses connecting Terminal 4 and TBIT are no longer offered, and would take considerably longer than the 4-5 minute walk airside.

The opening date for the airside connector was originally Friday, 4 Dec 2015, March 2016 25 February 2016.

American Airlines has preferential access to four gates at TBIT. Some domestic and international AA flights may depart from TBIT (gates 110-159). Some international AA flights can arrive at TBIT, and occasionally at the remote West 200 jetways to bus islands. Until the airside connector adds security processing for passengers arriving internationally, TBIT to Terminal 4 must be landside. TBIT is now connected airside to the south terminals 4, 6 and 8. TBIT is also connected to north, odd-numbered terminals.

Key components of the project include:
  • A new, behind-the-scene, In-Line Checked-Baggage-Inspection System facility to house new explosive- detection systems. This will enhance security and free up lobby space in T-4 to reduce passenger congestion in the ticketing lobby. (Not open until April 2016.)
    • Secure Passenger Connector between T-4 and TBIT allowing screened passengers to transition between both buildings in both directions without the need for rescreening. (Sic) Now open.
      • Additional Security Screening Checkpoints for arriving international travelers, who have cleared federal immigration and customs inspection and need to catch connecting flights at Terminals 4, 5 6, 7, and 8 on the south side of the LAX Central Terminal Area. (now open)
        • A new South Terminals Passenger Bus Port for travel between TBIT and Terminals 5 through 8.
          • Upper Level World Way Plaza with open and landscaped areas and public seating will replace the open plaza currently on the Lower/ Arrivals Level between TBIT and T-4. Part of the new facility also will be built in this area.
            • A temporary South Interline Baggage Transfer Facility to facilitate checked-bags between TBIT and Terminals 4 through 8 during construction of the new connector building.
              • "According to American, the connector will soon provide a Checked Baggage Inspection System, a five-lane Passenger Security Screening Check Point and a South Matrix Interline Baggage Transfer." - John Nguyen

LAWA news release 18 Mar 2013

Terminal 4 Connector (LAWA)

This $115 million project consists of the design and construction of a multi-use, multi-level facility providing a secure connection between Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) to Terminal 4. Connecting the two terminals will allow passengers easier access to their destination for those needing to reach a connecting flight, with the added convenience of not having to recheck their baggage.

Fact Sheet - Terminal 4 Connector (Link to PDF) says:

This $115 million project consists of the design and construction of a multi-use, multi-level facility providing a secure connection between the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) and Terminal 4. The Terminal 4 Connector will make it easier for passengers to make connecting flights out of different terminals. The new CAL Green Certified space will include a Checked Baggage Inspection System (CBIS), South Matrix Interline Baggage Transfer facility and a five lane Passenger Security Screening Check Point (SSCP). A Passenger Bus Port is also being added for travelers transferring between Terminals 5 through 8 and a Public Plaza will be built for outdoor seating on the upper level.
Link to architectural renderings

LAWA Web Cam Views of the connector: EarthCam Construction Camera - LAX -Los Angeles World Airports

For LAX connections, see: AA Guide to LAX / Los Angeles International Airport, MCT (in use - under construction

See Post #131 for renderings and timetable.

Q. Where do I check in for an AA or Qantas flight?

You can check in at AA Terminal 4 for AA - and there is NO LONGER a Qantas counter in Terminal 4 - you must check I at the Qantas counters in Tom Bradley International Terminal / TBIT.

If checking in with AA but departing from TBIT, you can clear security in Terminal 4 and take the secure airside connector to the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT).

If departing on Legacy US or American Eagle flights, those departing from the 60s gates including 60A-J, you will find it more convenient to check in at Terminal 6.

(For other airlines you may be connecting to, if you haven't been checked in previously you must check in at the TBIT (e.g. Air Fiji, Air Nui, airberlin, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Iberia, etc.) or other terminal (e.g. Qatar departs Terminal 2).

Access rules: (v. Feb 25, 2016) See here.

Qantas - oneworld First Lounge

Must be Emerald or First class passenger on a oneworld marketed and operated carrier ("qualifying flight") and
  • Departing on a longhaul international flight, or
    • Departing on a one world flight, having arrived on a qualifying longhaul international flight, or
      • Departing in First on AA to JFK on a 3 cabin A321T.

one world Business Lounge operated by Qantas (not a QANTAS Club)

Must be Sapphire or Business class passenger on a oneworld marketed and operated carrier ("qualifying flight") and
  • Departing on a longhaul international flight, or
    • Departing on a one world flight, having arrived on a qualifying longhaul international flight, or
      • Departing in First or Business on AA to JFK on a 3 cabin A321T.

Updated 19 Aug 2016 by JDiver

updated Oct 4 2016 by QueenOfCoach to include information about the elevator (lift) taking the passenger to and from the T4 concourse level to the tunnel level
Print Wikipost

LAX AA T-4 - TBIT secure airside connector (open Feb 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by catsongea
Thanks Twa884, that is a shame. Thanks for the update. Sorry Barcelona. I am doing this on the 9th of this month, but it sounds like I have to go the normal way which I assume is outside and to the right. Or maybe upstairs and then out and to the right. Must do more research...
Can you send me a PM once you go through on the 9th with a summary of your experience? I am landing at LAX on 4/25 in the AM connecting on to ORD.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:49 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum,AS MVP
I just flew SAN-LAX-LHR, arriving in T4 and departing from TBIT and the connector was open, and almost empty on Friday evening. A lot easier than having to go out and walk outside and then reclear security at TBIT.

A few questions. Are AA LAX-LHR flights and/or long international now taking off permanently from TBIT?

Will my return trip (LHR-LAX) arrive directly at TBIT? On my last trip using this routing (January), we arrived in T4, got bused to TBIT to go though immigration after which I had to trek back to T4 for my connection to SAN. Arriving directly at TBIT should shave off some time as my connection time is only 1h45m on Sunday.

Another question regarding lounge access for AA long haul from TBIT. Are AA business class customers still supposed to use the Admiral Club in T4, even though many/some (LAX-LHR) depart from TBIT? I went directly to the OW lounges in TBIT due to my status, but a fellow got turned away with his AA ticket for the same flight (LAX-LHR) just as I entered and was directed somewhere that I didn't quite pick up, maybe back to T4? I would have invited him as a guest if he hadn't been on the phone during the whole transaction and ran off immediately.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by AndyHall
I just flew SAN-LAX-LHR, arriving in T4 and departing from TBIT and the connector was open, and almost empty on Friday evening. A lot easier than having to go out and walk outside and then reclear security at TBIT.

A few questions. Are AA LAX-LHR flights and/or long international now taking off permanently from TBIT?

Will my return trip (LHR-LAX) arrive directly at TBIT? On my last trip using this routing (January), we arrived in T4, got bused to TBIT to go though immigration after which I had to trek back to T4 for my connection to SAN. Arriving directly at TBIT should shave off some time as my connection time is only 1h45m on Sunday.

Another question regarding lounge access for AA long haul from TBIT. Are AA business class customers still supposed to use the Admiral Club in T4, even though many/some (LAX-LHR) depart from TBIT? I went directly to the OW lounges in TBIT due to my status, but a fellow got turned away with his AA ticket for the same flight (LAX-LHR) just as I entered and was directed somewhere that I didn't quite pick up, maybe back to T4? I would have invited him as a guest if he hadn't been on the phone during the whole transaction and ran off immediately.
Can't speak for everything else, but it looks like you qualify for the lounge based off the wiki: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AndyHall
? <snip>

TBIT oneworld lounges access questions are better asked in the proper thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

/Moderator
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:43 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Just wanted to point out this new connector saved me when I had a connecting flight.
I flew into the AA eagle terminal at LAX and arrived late, and then had to take the bus to Terminal 4 and once there I rushed down the skybridge to TBIT.

If it had not have been opened i'm almost 100 % sure I would have missed my flight going through security again.

It can be seen at the start of my video here with.

Starts at 0:25 and ends at 1.03

Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:57 pm

AA - LAX check in for TBIT gate

I cannot find anything on this problem in the forums.

AA's website is having problems (again) and I cannot check in on line for my international flight tomorrow.

I have a flight from LAX to LHR. The flight leaves from a different terminal than where AA has its check in and its gates (terminal 4).

I called AA EXP two different times but the answers I got do not seem logical. I was told to go directly to the gate at TBIT (a completely different building from terminal 4).

To my knowledge, AA does not have any check in counters at TBIT.

What about check in and security?

Two AA representatives insisted that I go directly to the gate "because that is what is written in our instructions"

Does anyone out here have actual experience flying AA from LAX but leaving from TBIT instead of from the AA gates?

I assume that I should check in at the AA terminal then walk to TBIT for the security and gate.

Is there TSA precheck at TBIT for AA customers?

My flight is tomorrow. I hope I get lucky with an answer soon. Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Check in at T4. Go through security at T4 (where there is PreCheck). Then go to your gate. (If your flight is still departing from a TBIT gate, walk through the airside connector to get there.)
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
I cannot find anything on this problem in the forums.

AA's website is having problems (again) and I cannot check in on line for my international flight tomorrow.

I have a flight from LAX to LHR. The flight leaves from a different terminal than where AA has its check in and its gates (terminal 4).

I called AA EXP two different times but the answers I got do not seem logical. I was told to go directly to the gate at TBIT (a completely different building from terminal 4).

To my knowledge, AA does not have any check in counters at TBIT.

What about check in and security?

Two AA representatives insisted that I go directly to the gate "because that is what is written in our instructions"

Does anyone out here have actual experience flying AA from LAX but leaving from TBIT instead of from the AA gates?

I assume that I should check in at the AA terminal then walk to TBIT for the security and gate.

Is there TSA precheck at TBIT for AA customers?

My flight is tomorrow. I hope I get lucky with an answer soon. Thanks
You should go to Terminal 4 to check in and then proceed to TBIT. I was traveling to GIG through MIA in December, and the gate LAX to MIA leg left out of TBIT. I was dropped off at TBIT, but because there are no AA ticket agents, I had to make my way to Terminal 4 to check in and then walk back to TBIT. Unfortunately, there is no TSA pre-check in TBIT.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by mmt235
You should go to Terminal 4 to check in and then proceed to TBIT. I was traveling to GIG through MIA in December, and the gate LAX to MIA leg left out of TBIT. I was dropped off at TBIT, but because there are no AA ticket agents, I had to make my way to Terminal 4 to check in and then walk back to TBIT. Unfortunately, there is no TSA pre-check in TBIT.
Things have changed for the better since December. As of 2/25/16, the two terminals are connected airside. It only takes about 5 minutes to walk over to TBIT after using PreCheck in T4.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Ready2Go
Things have changed for the better since December. As of 2/25/16, the two terminals are connected airside. It only takes about 5 minutes to walk over to TBIT after using PreCheck in T4.
Best news I heard all day - thanks
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Best news I heard all day - thanks
Yes, it works exactly as described in the above messages. A friend of mine is now on AA 108, LAX-LHR. He checked in at T4 and went through TSA PreCheck in T4. Then he went through the airside connector to TBIT and his departure gate 148.

Be sure to ask your ride to drop you off at T4, not TBIT.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Is there a CX transfer desk at TBIT? I'll be flying DEN-LAX-HKG soon on AA/CX but I don't recall ever seeing transfer desks at TBIT. If AA can't issue my CX boarding pass at DEN (which has been a common problem for me in the past), is there a CX desk in TBIT that can do that? Hoping to take advantage of the new T4-TBIT connector and avoid going landside to pick up a BP.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Is there a CX transfer desk at TBIT? I'll be flying DEN-LAX-HKG soon on AA/CX but I don't recall ever seeing transfer desks at TBIT. If AA can't issue my CX boarding pass at DEN (which has been a common problem for me in the past), is there a CX desk in TBIT that can do that? Hoping to take advantage of the new T4-TBIT connector and avoid going landside to pick up a BP.
You can go straight to the gate and get a bp printed.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by mmt235
I also have an LAX-MIA flight and it's at gate 159, which seems far from the connector.

I assume it isn't only the lack of AA agents that requires you to go to T4 - is there access to the domestic gates from the international area?

I am not continuing onward. Seems like either the Admirals Club lounge back in T-4 or the KAL lounge in TBIT (via Priority Club).

Have I missed any options?

Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
I assume it isn't only the lack of AA agents that requires you to go to T4 - is there access to the domestic gates from the international area?
Yes - of course arriving international passengers are segregated and channeled to immigration, but like T4, TBIT simply has both domestic and international departing flights. You don't have to go to T4 at all if you don't need to see an AA TA, use PreCheck, or visit the Admirals Club. But at some times of day TBIT has terrible security lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.