Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX AA T-4 - TBIT secure airside connector (open Feb 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DWFI
LAX Secure Connector Terminal 4 <--> Tom Bradley International Terminal
Secure airside passage between Terminal 4 and TBIT opened 25 Feb 2016; T3 access is near Gate 41.

International arrivals security is open now; after dropping baggage off at the recheck facility proceed as if you were going to the curb. Turn right as you approach the exit to signage indicating the 40s gates. The baggage recheck facility and new south terminals bus port - replacing T-4 Gate 44 - are scheduled to open in the future. See page 1 for photos and guidance..

NOTE: LAX / LAWA allows passengers with a same day boarding pass access to any terminal. See Twitter link.

One can now travel between AA Terminal 4 and Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) via the new secure airside connector (two way airside access is here, as arriving international passengers can now clear Security after they process USCBP formalities), and to proceed airside between TBIT, the American Airlines and the legacy US Airways / Alaska terminals without leaving Security via airside.

In T-4, the access to the south terminals airside tunnel is from Gate 44, signposted "Terminal Transfer" (the current bus transfer gate). Take the escalator down to Gate 44, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. There is an elevator located to the right of the escalators (inside a little hallway) that will take you directly to the tunnels. Please consult the LAX terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6. (TWA884)

A shuttle bus from ground level near Gate 44 at T-4 and another bus port at T-5 connect to the Remote (American Eagle) terminal, with its own Club.

A walkthrough Youtube video is available at Post #16:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26244110-post16.html

Link to John Nguyen's article on Airline Reporter (with video of T-4 to TBIT walk). "Arguably, the biggest beneficiary to the connector is American Airlines, whose T4 is immediately adjacent to TBIT, and in fact has an agreement with the airport to operate several gates out of TBIT. The connector eliminates the need for passengers on Qantas flights to take a shuttle bus, as the walk from T4 to the TBIT gates should take around 5-10 minutes at a medium pace. In fact, it was measured at just under 4 minutes from Gate 41 to the entrance of the Oneworld First Class Lounge operated by Qantas."

You can now process security at TBIT (assuming you have a mobile or printed boarding pass) and walk to T-4:

See Microwave's post #232 for photos and detailed information.

Originally Posted by Microwave
I just used it departing from Los Angeles on Sunday, so it's definitely accessible from landside for local departures. Check in online or on your mobile so you have your BP to hand when you arrive, then have your driver deposit you on the arrivals level, at the far side of TBIT near the Shuttle Express stand. Go in the sliding doors which lead to the international arrivals area and turn immediately left: voila, the secret checkpoint. Once you clear security, take the lift up to level 5 and you can go either direction to T4 or TBIT; if you head toward the latter, you will be rather conveniently deposited directly at the Qantas First lounge entrance without having to fight any crowds.
This thread is about the airside connection walkway between AA Terminal 4 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal / TBIT. For archived posts made prior to the opening, please see here.

NOTE: LAX TBIT oneworld Premium / oneworld Business lounge and oneworld Qantas First lounge and access rules here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.

NOTE: Shuttle busses connecting Terminal 4 and TBIT are no longer offered, and would take considerably longer than the 4-5 minute walk airside.

The opening date for the airside connector was originally Friday, 4 Dec 2015, March 2016 25 February 2016.

American Airlines has preferential access to four gates at TBIT. Some domestic and international AA flights may depart from TBIT (gates 110-159). Some international AA flights can arrive at TBIT, and occasionally at the remote West 200 jetways to bus islands. Until the airside connector adds security processing for passengers arriving internationally, TBIT to Terminal 4 must be landside. TBIT is now connected airside to the south terminals 4, 6 and 8. TBIT is also connected to north, odd-numbered terminals.

Key components of the project include:
  • A new, behind-the-scene, In-Line Checked-Baggage-Inspection System facility to house new explosive- detection systems. This will enhance security and free up lobby space in T-4 to reduce passenger congestion in the ticketing lobby. (Not open until April 2016.)
    • Secure Passenger Connector between T-4 and TBIT allowing screened passengers to transition between both buildings in both directions without the need for rescreening. (Sic) Now open.
      • Additional Security Screening Checkpoints for arriving international travelers, who have cleared federal immigration and customs inspection and need to catch connecting flights at Terminals 4, 5 6, 7, and 8 on the south side of the LAX Central Terminal Area. (now open)
        • A new South Terminals Passenger Bus Port for travel between TBIT and Terminals 5 through 8.
          • Upper Level World Way Plaza with open and landscaped areas and public seating will replace the open plaza currently on the Lower/ Arrivals Level between TBIT and T-4. Part of the new facility also will be built in this area.
            • A temporary South Interline Baggage Transfer Facility to facilitate checked-bags between TBIT and Terminals 4 through 8 during construction of the new connector building.
              • "According to American, the connector will soon provide a Checked Baggage Inspection System, a five-lane Passenger Security Screening Check Point and a South Matrix Interline Baggage Transfer." - John Nguyen

LAWA news release 18 Mar 2013

Terminal 4 Connector (LAWA)

This $115 million project consists of the design and construction of a multi-use, multi-level facility providing a secure connection between Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) to Terminal 4. Connecting the two terminals will allow passengers easier access to their destination for those needing to reach a connecting flight, with the added convenience of not having to recheck their baggage.

Fact Sheet - Terminal 4 Connector (Link to PDF) says:

This $115 million project consists of the design and construction of a multi-use, multi-level facility providing a secure connection between the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) and Terminal 4. The Terminal 4 Connector will make it easier for passengers to make connecting flights out of different terminals. The new CAL Green Certified space will include a Checked Baggage Inspection System (CBIS), South Matrix Interline Baggage Transfer facility and a five lane Passenger Security Screening Check Point (SSCP). A Passenger Bus Port is also being added for travelers transferring between Terminals 5 through 8 and a Public Plaza will be built for outdoor seating on the upper level.
Link to architectural renderings

LAWA Web Cam Views of the connector: EarthCam Construction Camera - LAX -Los Angeles World Airports

For LAX connections, see: AA Guide to LAX / Los Angeles International Airport, MCT (in use - under construction

See Post #131 for renderings and timetable.

Q. Where do I check in for an AA or Qantas flight?

You can check in at AA Terminal 4 for AA - and there is NO LONGER a Qantas counter in Terminal 4 - you must check I at the Qantas counters in Tom Bradley International Terminal / TBIT.

If checking in with AA but departing from TBIT, you can clear security in Terminal 4 and take the secure airside connector to the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT).

If departing on Legacy US or American Eagle flights, those departing from the 60s gates including 60A-J, you will find it more convenient to check in at Terminal 6.

(For other airlines you may be connecting to, if you haven't been checked in previously you must check in at the TBIT (e.g. Air Fiji, Air Nui, airberlin, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Iberia, etc.) or other terminal (e.g. Qatar departs Terminal 2).

Access rules: (v. Feb 25, 2016) See here.

Qantas - oneworld First Lounge

Must be Emerald or First class passenger on a oneworld marketed and operated carrier ("qualifying flight") and
  • Departing on a longhaul international flight, or
    • Departing on a one world flight, having arrived on a qualifying longhaul international flight, or
      • Departing in First on AA to JFK on a 3 cabin A321T.

one world Business Lounge operated by Qantas (not a QANTAS Club)

Must be Sapphire or Business class passenger on a oneworld marketed and operated carrier ("qualifying flight") and
  • Departing on a longhaul international flight, or
    • Departing on a one world flight, having arrived on a qualifying longhaul international flight, or
      • Departing in First or Business on AA to JFK on a 3 cabin A321T.

Updated 19 Aug 2016 by JDiver

updated Oct 4 2016 by QueenOfCoach to include information about the elevator (lift) taking the passenger to and from the T4 concourse level to the tunnel level
Print Wikipost

LAX AA T-4 - TBIT secure airside connector (open Feb 2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum,AS MVP
Originally Posted by WhiskeyCavalier
Hi,

I am a United escapee hoping for a little advice. It’s faster to get into TBIT through terminal 4 right? My plan is clear security at T4. But it seems like the last post was a few years ago on this thread. Is there a “secret” spot to clear security faster? I saw a couple of mentions. I’ll scroll back. Any info would be appreciated thanks!
I am not sure what your question is, but yes you can clear security at T4 and take the connector to TBIT. If you are already airside at T4-T8 you can walk to TBIT without needing to pass security. If you are asking whether it's faster to clear security at T4 and walk to TBIT vs going through security directly at TBIT, the answer is definitely no. Even when TBIT is really busy, security there seems to be really fast, definitely compared to all the other terminals.
WhiskeyCavalier likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hi,

I am a United escapee hoping for a little advice. It’s faster to get into TBIT through terminal 4 right? My plan is clear security at T4. But it seems like the last post was a few years ago on this thread. Is there a “secret” spot to clear security faster? I saw a couple of mentions. I’ll scroll back. Any info would be appreciated thanks!
Terminal 4 is in the midst of a major renovation. Half of the headhouse has been demolished, including a large portion of the area where the TSA security checkpoints are located. It is a mess. When flying from T4 nowadays, to save time, I try to clear security in T5 or TBIT.
NickP 1K and WhiskeyCavalier like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
You can clear TSA in T4 and walk to TBIT but remember T4 is only close to TBIT South Concourse. If you are departing from TBIT North or West Concourse, going thru T4 will still result in a long walk.

Also, as mentioned, T4 is under construction now so your results may vary - hard to predict how long the lines are at T4.

The "secret" TBIT arrival TSA is not always open but it is generally faster/shorter walk to TBIT South Concourse but not by much. The main TBIT TSA located at the back of the departure level is better if you are departing from North or West Concourse.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by bzcat
You can clear TSA in T4 and walk to TBIT but remember T4 is only close to TBIT South Concourse. If you are departing from TBIT North or West Concourse, going thru T4 will still result in a long walk.

Also, as mentioned, T4 is under construction now so your results may vary - hard to predict how long the lines are at T4.

The "secret" TBIT arrival TSA is not always open but it is generally faster/shorter walk to TBIT South Concourse but not by much. The main TBIT TSA located at the back of the departure level is better if you are departing from North or West Concourse.
Thanks. My goal is to hit the star alliance lounge at TBIT. My first time trying this so I appreciate the help!

Do you happen to know which concourse the star alliance lounge is at?

Thanks!
Old May 30, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

Thanks!
The main terminal.
Old May 30, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Thanks. My goal is to hit the star alliance lounge at TBIT. My first time trying this so I appreciate the help!

Thanks!
Star Alliance lounge is close enough to the One World / Qantas lounge, but a further level up (Level 6), all the lounges are in the same area in the building section just post TSA. There are future lounges in the satellite building but none have been announced.

LAX actually has a good interactive map: https://maps.lawa.org/
Pan to Terminal B, zoom in then select the "Relax" category to see the lounges.

As others have said you are WAY better using Terminal B/ TBIT to clear security and NOT T4 due to a reduction of the TSA screening area. The other option is T5 which is quieter - then walk to T4 using the underground passage (it's midway down T5 - escalators are marked for T4/T6/T7 - ensure you head down the T4 direction, once at T4 walk further down towards the front of the terminal and you will see the signs pointing before TSA for Terminal B. With Clear at Terminal B / TBIT and TSA-Pre fully there (wasn't pre-pandemic), you are rarely going to find the walk from T5 to be quicker, the time you save would be spent on the time to walk

Last edited by NickP 1K; May 31, 2022 at 9:27 am
Old May 30, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Hi,

Which airline are you actually flying, and do you need to check bags? Since you mentioned visiting the star alliance lounge I’m a little confused about your actual flight plans other than your flight is apparently departing from TBIT.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat

Thanks!
All the lounges are on in the main terminal building. The main departure level TSA is going to the the shortest walk to Star lounge. The arrival level TSA is closer to the QF/OneWorld and KE/Skyteam lounges.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
It’s faster to get into TBIT through terminal 4 right? My plan is clear security at T4.
I haven't had significant wait times at either T4 or TBIT PRECHECK lines.
I don't have experience with the regular line or priority line.

TBIT PRECHECK has always been pretty much empty when I have used it lately for early morning or early afternoon flights.
In the evenings when there are a lot of long-haul/wide body flights the regular TBIT security lines can be a zoo. Either because the airlines are not part of the Precheck program or because there are a lot of foreigners with no precheck, it seems to me that the precheck line at TBIT is never busy.
Old May 31, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Either because the airlines are not part of the Precheck program or because there are a lot of foreigners with no precheck, it seems to me that the precheck line at TBIT is never busy.
Morning where AA uses lots of TBIT gates for domestic, the PreCheck line can be ~ 10-15 min to get through - not a lot, but later in the day there is generally less than a 5 min wait
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by hbtr
Since you mentioned visiting the star alliance lounge I’m a little confused about your actual flight plans other than your flight is apparently departing from TBIT.
Why assume that? There's a several hundred post thread on the UA forum about making the 15-30 min walk each way between T7/T8 & TBIT to visit the *A lounge.

Last edited by econ; Jun 1, 2022 at 5:40 pm
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by econ
Why assume that? There's a several hundred post thread on the UA forum about making the 15-30 min walk each way between T7/T8 & TBIT to visit the *A lounge.
When OP used the description “United escapee” I assumed they were not flying UA. But you are right, they could be flying another *A partner that doesn’t fly out of TBIT..
Old Jun 3, 2022, 3:43 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I haven't had significant wait times at either T4 or TBIT PRECHECK lines.
I don't have experience with the regular line or priority line.
Hopefully it was a temporary thing due to staffing or something, but I tried to clear security at TBIT two weekends ago in the afternoon and both Clear and Precheck were closed. The regular line they were directing everyone to was quite long.

I was only there to check out the temp Centurion Lounge so I just turned around and walked to T5 where I was actually leaving from and cleared security there.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:51 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by dw
Hopefully it was a temporary thing due to staffing or something, but I tried to clear security at TBIT two weekends ago in the afternoon and both Clear and Precheck were closed. The regular line they were directing everyone to was quite long.

I was only there to check out the temp Centurion Lounge so I just turned around and walked to T5 where I was actually leaving from and cleared security there.
I've actually found myself clearing security at T5 the last few times. Clear is always open and I find the lines shorter, T4 has been a hot mess, and you never know what to expect with TBIT. I don't mind the walk from 5 to 4 to TBIT. It's about 12-15 min and the only real bummer is the lack of an "up" escalator from T5 to T4... carry your bag up or take the elevator.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by reinmedia
I've actually found myself clearing security at T5 the last few times. Clear is always open and I find the lines shorter, T4 has been a hot mess, and you never know what to expect with TBIT. I don't mind the walk from 5 to 4 to TBIT. It's about 12-15 min and the only real bummer is the lack of an "up" escalator from T5 to T4... carry your bag up or take the elevator.
You been to TBIT for security since PreCheck opened? Unless you hit the night bank of Asia flights, it's rarely ever more than 15 min at TBIT - there is both Clear and TSA Pre. I also like you used to use T5 but I don't find it any faster recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.