Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX AA T-4 - TBIT secure airside connector (open Feb 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DWFI
LAX Secure Connector Terminal 4 <--> Tom Bradley International Terminal
Secure airside passage between Terminal 4 and TBIT opened 25 Feb 2016; T3 access is near Gate 41.

International arrivals security is open now; after dropping baggage off at the recheck facility proceed as if you were going to the curb. Turn right as you approach the exit to signage indicating the 40s gates. The baggage recheck facility and new south terminals bus port - replacing T-4 Gate 44 - are scheduled to open in the future. See page 1 for photos and guidance..

NOTE: LAX / LAWA allows passengers with a same day boarding pass access to any terminal. See Twitter link.

One can now travel between AA Terminal 4 and Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) via the new secure airside connector (two way airside access is here, as arriving international passengers can now clear Security after they process USCBP formalities), and to proceed airside between TBIT, the American Airlines and the legacy US Airways / Alaska terminals without leaving Security via airside.

In T-4, the access to the south terminals airside tunnel is from Gate 44, signposted "Terminal Transfer" (the current bus transfer gate). Take the escalator down to Gate 44, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. There is an elevator located to the right of the escalators (inside a little hallway) that will take you directly to the tunnels. Please consult the LAX terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6. (TWA884)

A shuttle bus from ground level near Gate 44 at T-4 and another bus port at T-5 connect to the Remote (American Eagle) terminal, with its own Club.

A walkthrough Youtube video is available at Post #16:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26244110-post16.html

Link to John Nguyen's article on Airline Reporter (with video of T-4 to TBIT walk). "Arguably, the biggest beneficiary to the connector is American Airlines, whose T4 is immediately adjacent to TBIT, and in fact has an agreement with the airport to operate several gates out of TBIT. The connector eliminates the need for passengers on Qantas flights to take a shuttle bus, as the walk from T4 to the TBIT gates should take around 5-10 minutes at a medium pace. In fact, it was measured at just under 4 minutes from Gate 41 to the entrance of the Oneworld First Class Lounge operated by Qantas."

You can now process security at TBIT (assuming you have a mobile or printed boarding pass) and walk to T-4:

See Microwave's post #232 for photos and detailed information.

Originally Posted by Microwave
I just used it departing from Los Angeles on Sunday, so it's definitely accessible from landside for local departures. Check in online or on your mobile so you have your BP to hand when you arrive, then have your driver deposit you on the arrivals level, at the far side of TBIT near the Shuttle Express stand. Go in the sliding doors which lead to the international arrivals area and turn immediately left: voila, the secret checkpoint. Once you clear security, take the lift up to level 5 and you can go either direction to T4 or TBIT; if you head toward the latter, you will be rather conveniently deposited directly at the Qantas First lounge entrance without having to fight any crowds.
This thread is about the airside connection walkway between AA Terminal 4 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal / TBIT. For archived posts made prior to the opening, please see here.

NOTE: LAX TBIT oneworld Premium / oneworld Business lounge and oneworld Qantas First lounge and access rules here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.

NOTE: Shuttle busses connecting Terminal 4 and TBIT are no longer offered, and would take considerably longer than the 4-5 minute walk airside.

The opening date for the airside connector was originally Friday, 4 Dec 2015, March 2016 25 February 2016.

American Airlines has preferential access to four gates at TBIT. Some domestic and international AA flights may depart from TBIT (gates 110-159). Some international AA flights can arrive at TBIT, and occasionally at the remote West 200 jetways to bus islands. Until the airside connector adds security processing for passengers arriving internationally, TBIT to Terminal 4 must be landside. TBIT is now connected airside to the south terminals 4, 6 and 8. TBIT is also connected to north, odd-numbered terminals.

Key components of the project include:
  • A new, behind-the-scene, In-Line Checked-Baggage-Inspection System facility to house new explosive- detection systems. This will enhance security and free up lobby space in T-4 to reduce passenger congestion in the ticketing lobby. (Not open until April 2016.)
    • Secure Passenger Connector between T-4 and TBIT allowing screened passengers to transition between both buildings in both directions without the need for rescreening. (Sic) Now open.
      • Additional Security Screening Checkpoints for arriving international travelers, who have cleared federal immigration and customs inspection and need to catch connecting flights at Terminals 4, 5 6, 7, and 8 on the south side of the LAX Central Terminal Area. (now open)
        • A new South Terminals Passenger Bus Port for travel between TBIT and Terminals 5 through 8.
          • Upper Level World Way Plaza with open and landscaped areas and public seating will replace the open plaza currently on the Lower/ Arrivals Level between TBIT and T-4. Part of the new facility also will be built in this area.
            • A temporary South Interline Baggage Transfer Facility to facilitate checked-bags between TBIT and Terminals 4 through 8 during construction of the new connector building.
              • "According to American, the connector will soon provide a Checked Baggage Inspection System, a five-lane Passenger Security Screening Check Point and a South Matrix Interline Baggage Transfer." - John Nguyen

LAWA news release 18 Mar 2013

Terminal 4 Connector (LAWA)

This $115 million project consists of the design and construction of a multi-use, multi-level facility providing a secure connection between Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) to Terminal 4. Connecting the two terminals will allow passengers easier access to their destination for those needing to reach a connecting flight, with the added convenience of not having to recheck their baggage.

Fact Sheet - Terminal 4 Connector (Link to PDF) says:

This $115 million project consists of the design and construction of a multi-use, multi-level facility providing a secure connection between the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) and Terminal 4. The Terminal 4 Connector will make it easier for passengers to make connecting flights out of different terminals. The new CAL Green Certified space will include a Checked Baggage Inspection System (CBIS), South Matrix Interline Baggage Transfer facility and a five lane Passenger Security Screening Check Point (SSCP). A Passenger Bus Port is also being added for travelers transferring between Terminals 5 through 8 and a Public Plaza will be built for outdoor seating on the upper level.
Link to architectural renderings

LAWA Web Cam Views of the connector: EarthCam Construction Camera - LAX -Los Angeles World Airports

For LAX connections, see: AA Guide to LAX / Los Angeles International Airport, MCT (in use - under construction

See Post #131 for renderings and timetable.

Q. Where do I check in for an AA or Qantas flight?

You can check in at AA Terminal 4 for AA - and there is NO LONGER a Qantas counter in Terminal 4 - you must check I at the Qantas counters in Tom Bradley International Terminal / TBIT.

If checking in with AA but departing from TBIT, you can clear security in Terminal 4 and take the secure airside connector to the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT).

If departing on Legacy US or American Eagle flights, those departing from the 60s gates including 60A-J, you will find it more convenient to check in at Terminal 6.

(For other airlines you may be connecting to, if you haven't been checked in previously you must check in at the TBIT (e.g. Air Fiji, Air Nui, airberlin, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Iberia, etc.) or other terminal (e.g. Qatar departs Terminal 2).

Access rules: (v. Feb 25, 2016) See here.

Qantas - oneworld First Lounge

Must be Emerald or First class passenger on a oneworld marketed and operated carrier ("qualifying flight") and
  • Departing on a longhaul international flight, or
    • Departing on a one world flight, having arrived on a qualifying longhaul international flight, or
      • Departing in First on AA to JFK on a 3 cabin A321T.

one world Business Lounge operated by Qantas (not a QANTAS Club)

Must be Sapphire or Business class passenger on a oneworld marketed and operated carrier ("qualifying flight") and
  • Departing on a longhaul international flight, or
    • Departing on a one world flight, having arrived on a qualifying longhaul international flight, or
      • Departing in First or Business on AA to JFK on a 3 cabin A321T.

Updated 19 Aug 2016 by JDiver

updated Oct 4 2016 by QueenOfCoach to include information about the elevator (lift) taking the passenger to and from the T4 concourse level to the tunnel level
Print Wikipost

LAX AA T-4 - TBIT secure airside connector (open Feb 2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by TWA884
Is there any country that does not require passengers connecting between international flights to pass security screening? On more than one occasion when transferring at LHR, I had to undergo TSA style security screening even though I did not have any checked bags and did not go through immigration and customs.
HKG?
Old May 10, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by hiima
HKG?
Nope - there are several security areas whith WTMD etc dotted around the terminal, any one of which one must pass through to transfer from arrivals to departures.

SIN has them at the gates.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Is there any country that does not require passengers connecting between international flights to pass security screening? On more than one occasion when transferring at LHR, I had to undergo TSA style security screening even though I did not have any checked bags and did not go through immigration and customs.
You don't clear security at AMS, CDG, or FRA for at least some connections (whether or not the connection involves passport control) unless the connection involves a terminal change at CDG or FRA.

Of course, this is possible because the Schengen zone handles customs at the final destination, not the connection airport, so there's no contact with checked bags. The same is true at LHR, but the British don't trust any other country's security.

Last edited by ashill; May 10, 2016 at 5:26 pm
Old May 10, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Oh wait, PTY!
Old May 10, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Microwave
Apparently there's another phase to the T4-TBIT connector that will allow easier transit from inbound international passengers at TBIT to clear security and come to T4 for a domestic connection. Others here will know more about that.

This is true unless you've gone through US customs and immigration pre-clearance.
When I asked an agent of some kind on my way out the door (just making sure I wasn't missing an inside connector), she mentioned there being one in the works; glad to hear it was just a misinformed employee. Her estimation (taken with many grains of salt, I imagine) was completion in 2-3 months.

Last edited by thecurtisw; May 10, 2016 at 8:00 pm Reason: clarification
Old May 10, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashill
You don't clear security at AMS, CDG, or FRA for at least some connections (whether or not the connection involves passport control) unless the connection involves a terminal change at CDG or FRA.
You can change between at least two terminals at FRA airside if you know to use the airside tunnel between the terminal with flights from the USA and the Schengen connection terminal. (If you don't know to take that tunnel, and go the "wrong" way, you may have to exit and then go through security to connect.) I've done it twice now (in each case, connecting to Scandinavian countries, eventually bound for Norway but not always flying directly), always connecting UA to LH/SAS. The first time I missed the tunnel but refused to exit where I'd need to re-do security, then retraced my route and found the tunnel. The second time I found the tunnel on my first try.

In the reverse direction, of course, even if you don't have to go through conventional security, you may be subject to gate-area secondary screening on a USA-bound flight.

Also, I was told that I didn't need to go through security at LIM (Peru), connecting USA <-> EZE (Argentina), as a carry-on-only passenger, by the people at security there. They tried to explain to me how to do it on my return trip, but I couldn't find the correct turn to take on my return trip to bypass security, so I don't know if it really exists or if the LIM transfer security people gave me misinformation.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 10, 2016 at 8:11 pm
Old May 11, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
DOH is strange: sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. Some speculate that it depends on whether you come from a country with "strict" security or not - but that theory doesn't hold. There seems to be some randomness as well.

Originally Posted by hiima
Oh wait, PTY!
And SAL.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
This is the kind of thing AA is going to go up against if they re-open the FIS in T4:

http://mynewsla.com/government/2016/...-to-travelers/

CBP screening will operate at Terminal 2 from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Passengers on international flights that arrive at the terminal outside those hours will be bused to the Tom Bradley International Terminal to be screened.

“It’s merely consolidating the processing … in an effort to improve the passenger processing experience, bringing them to the updated terminal where CBP have the staff and technology to better support international travelers,” said Jaime Ruiz of the CBP’s office of public affairs.
Old May 15, 2016, 11:39 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
This is the kind of thing AA is going to go up against if they re-open the FIS in T4:

http://mynewsla.com/government/2016/...-to-travelers/
There will be no need for busing arriving passengers in the off hours as there is an existing tunnel connecting the Federal Inspection Facilities at T4 and TBIT.
Old May 20, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Does anyone know why the signage in T4 adjacent to the connector refers only to "Bradley International Terminal" and has omitted the "Tom" which appears prominently elsewhere?
Old May 20, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Does anyone know why the signage in T4 adjacent to the connector refers only to "Bradley International Terminal" and has omitted the "Tom" which appears prominently elsewhere?
Best guess... the name was too long anyway, and it's common to refer to a facility by the last name of the honoree only.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they just dropped the entire name and went with "International Terminal"... in fact, I would prefer it
Old May 20, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
There will be no need for busing arriving passengers in the off hours as there is an existing tunnel connecting the Federal Inspection Facilities at T4 and TBIT.
Of course. I was referring to the T4 facility's operations being based on the current mood/whims of ICE - just like before.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they just dropped the entire name and went with "International Terminal"... in fact, I would prefer it
And while they are at it, they can take down the signage in the TBIT Grand Hall that says "Villaraigosa Pavilion" or call it by his real name, Tony Villar.
Old May 22, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Originally Posted by pssteve
Does anyone have experience with TBIT security at 6:30am? Is it worth the extra walk from T-4 Pre Check if someone is not interested in exercise at that time of day?
I did this last week for the 8 am flight to MIA. First I had no idea they were using TBI for domestics and was told by the rep there, they are using TBIT for 30 domestics now with no plans to use a TSA Precheck. So when I do this flight again on Friday, I'm going to walk from T4. I found the line way too long and too slow and they direct you the opposite end of where the AA gate is. And by our gate, there was no coffee place open. It started to open around 7:30 as we got ready to board. AND, the plane was there but we were delayed. I believe because so many passengers are getting dropped off at the domestic terminal, not realizing they have to walk over.
Old May 22, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Just a week ago I saw that bussing of international arriving passengers at T-4 to TBIT can still happen. I was at LAX AC area beyond shower, those far end not so busy area looking toward Delta T-5 terminal. A319 was at Gate 40, Gate 41 & 43 are only gates at T-4 which is connected to CQI facilities at TBIT for international arrival.

Got my attention on this A319 at Gate 40 was that the jet bridge was not fully placed at L1 door. Stairs was placed on rear L2 door where passenger was deplaning onto tarmac and buses on the tarmac was taking passengers elsewhere.

Turned out this A319 was AA 237 from SJD. I am sure any FTers in F (or Business Class because it was Mexico flight) would have been p*&ed off because those passengers have deplaned last. Sine there was not post on FT appalled by treatment of passengers in business class upon arrival from SJD, which I assume there was no FTers on that flight.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Just a week ago I saw that bussing of international arriving passengers at T-4 to TBIT can still happen. I was at LAX AC area beyond shower, those far end not so busy area looking toward Delta T-5 terminal. A319 was at Gate 40, Gate 41 & 43 are only gates at T-4 which is connected to CQI facilities at TBIT for international arrival.

Got my attention on this A319 at Gate 40 was that the jet bridge was not fully placed at L1 door. Stairs was placed on rear L2 door where passenger was deplaning onto tarmac and buses on the tarmac was taking passengers elsewhere.

Turned out this A319 was AA 237 from SJD. I am sure any FTers in F (or Business Class because it was Mexico flight) would have been p*&ed off because those passengers have deplaned last. Sine there was not post on FT appalled by treatment of passengers in business class upon arrival from SJD, which I assume there was no FTers on that flight.
SJD... probably all college students coming back from spring back

I see the problem you described... the plane was gated at the wrong side of T4. I think this maybe an issue with those narrow body arrivals from Mexico and Central America. If the pilots have a choice to accept the first available gate assignment on the wrong side of T4, or wait for one with sterile access to TBIT... chances are they will accept the first one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.