Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
FAQ: "Linking" or Combining of Separate PNRs / Itineraries / Tickets

Q. Can we have our bookings / reservations / awards merged to have them on the same PNR?
A. No; it's generally not possible unless you cancel what you have and get it all done on one PNR. Some agents may be able to merge PNRs if one has contiguous paid and award tickets on hold.

Q. Can I have separate PNRs merged so I can Through-check baggage? No. And with separate PNRs, baggage can not be through-checked.

Q. Can I have PNRs linked so status benefits can be shared?
No. But notes can be added to the OSI field, and status “linking” can occur for upgrades, etc.

Q. Can I "link" my partner's and my PNRs (so we can sit together, stay together in OSO / IROPS, check luggage through, etc.)?
A. "Linking" (or combining) PNRs is not actually possible. There is no way of establishing a "hard" electronic link between PNRs.

Q. What can the airline do in this regard?
A, Requesting "linking PNRs" causes a note to be entered into the PNR OSI (Other Service Information) field (usually a TCP (To Complete Party) note). There is no physical or other actual connection to one's PNR; the field must be read by an airline agent for requested actions to be implemented. (See hillrider's post #9 and link below.)

Q. How can that help?
A. In case of OSO (IROPS/IRROPS) an agent can read the reference and work to keep the parties together when reaccommodating in OSO.

GLOSSARY (specifically for airline use)[/color]
  • IROPS / IRROPS: Irregular Operations - see OSO
  • OSI: Other Supplementary / Service Information- PNR field for supplemental information; low-priority messages usually used for information purpose only.
  • OSO: Off Schedule Operations - when schedules are disrupted by various factors
  • PNR: itinerary reference "handle", six letters with AA; temporary, as PNRs recycle - only ticket numbers are permanent
  • TCP: To Complete Party - a note indicating passenger is traveling with another, etc.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
This is incorrect. But, it will not make that much difference on a 5-hour transfer.

If on the same ticket, QF would have checked the bags through to ALB. You would nontheless have claimed the bags at LAX, dragged them through CBP and then dropped them immediately after CBP with AA. No need to recheck as they would already have been checked in.

In OP's case, he will need to drag the bags to AA check-in (and pay any applicable baggage fees).
And I suppose 6 isn't the same as half a dozen.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by justhere
And I suppose 6 isn't the same as half a dozen.
depends on whether it is a bakers dozen or not...
justhere likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OKImready
Well.... I called AA.and seemed to answer my own question...... with two separate PNR's Qantas will not check the bags thru or .. or issue boarding passes for my final leg of the trip....I will have to collect my bags and got to AA's terminal, check in bags and get boarding passes... I have a 5 hour connection time....so shouldn't be a problem.... Thanks for all your replies!!
Ask QF at BNE. As the QF procedure, you have a reasonable chance QF will check you in for the AA flight and put a bag tag for LAX-ALB. Print out the info from QF link above, to assist. That will be easier when at LAX:- just a bag drop after CBP
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Six and half-dozen are the same thing.

What you posted was incorrect. QF will most certainly interline bags to AA on a connection. It does so many time each day.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:19 pm

This is on two separate PNR's (That's the problem) one from BNE-LAX different PNR from LAX-ALB.... will have to re-check in at AA terminal, bring bags with me and check them in and get boarding passes......I WILL ask at BNE whether they(Qantas) will check bags thru to final dest. .and issue boarding passes for Both PNR's..
I know about claiming bags and going thru customs with them, ...
NYC Flyer and JDiver like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OKImready
This is on two separate PNR's (That's the problem) one from BNE-LAX different PNR from LAX-ALB.......
And as post 4, QF have an exemption where 1 flight is an award. But still may/may not work.
Enjoy the QF flight
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
Six and half-dozen are the same thing.

What you posted was incorrect. QF will most certainly interline bags to AA on a connection. It does so many time each day.
You are playing silly semantic games. What I said was that luggage has to be claimed at LAX to go through customs. That is absolutely correct. Most people consider the terminology "check through to destination" to mean that you do not have to claim the bag at an intermediary point. Qantas can put an LAX-ALB tag on the bag but the traveler is still going to have to claim the bag at LAX, which is what I said.

The fact that they would have to have another tag applied if it doesn't have an LAX-ALB tag on it doesn't materially change actions that the OP will have to take. If the OP checks in for the AA flight on line, they won't need a BP printed and they can still drop their bag at the recheck desk. There's really very little difference between a recheck desk and a check-in desk except for the "re". They can print tags at the recheck desk if they need to. On the off-chance that a grumpy employee won't let them (re)check the bag there, then they still have to go over to the whichever terminal their LAX-ALB flight is leaving from and they can (re)check their bag their. But either way, they are going to have to claim their bag and take it to a desk.

And not sure if this was mentioned but as they are separate PNR's, wouldn't there probably be a charge for the bag on the LAX-ALB flight anyway? Not sure that the recheck desk can process that but I assume they can unless Qantas can charge the OP when checking in at BNE.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justhere
And not sure if this was mentioned but as they are separate PNR's, wouldn't there probably be a charge for the bag on the LAX-ALB flight anyway? Not sure that the recheck desk can process that but I assume they can unless Qantas can charge the OP when checking in at BNE.
QF will definitely not take money for a (possible) AA bag charge. Not worth the hassle for QF-AA considering the currencies, exchange rate & money transfer issues. QF check in agent's do not handle money. You go to a separate QF service desk for that. All QF tickets include checked bags.
One of the reasons people want to interline bags is to avoid bag fees in the next flight. It does work
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question Merging reservations & Main Cabin Extra

Hello. I plan to book AA International Economy Award flights for me and my wife. For me on my AAdvantage acct and for my wife on hers. I am Platinum and my wife has no status.
After booking, if I call AA and ask to merge my wife's reservation with my reservation - so we are Both on my PNR.
Will my wife be eligible to immediate upgrade to Main Cabin Extra due to my Platinum status ??

Note: on AA site it says for Main Cabit Extra for Platinum (and Plat-Pro + Exec-Plat): "All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation."
So - the question is: Does the above applies also to Merged reservations? Or only when the booking of the no-status AA member was done together with booking of the Platinum member?
Looks to me must be also in merging because I doubt possible to book for 9 people in 1 shot.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:18 am

Why not book the outbound using one account for both of you and the return using the other account? That way you will both be on the same PNR.
JDiver, JPG3392 and MathMusic like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
I often have this situation if I am joining a trip with my wife or vice versa, even if only for a segment or two. An example would be where we are going to the same place but I return a few days earlier for work. I am Platinum and my wife has no status, other than love of my life. We have a separate PNR. I call and ask that she be seated next to me in MCE. So far, she always has been moved without an additional fee (About 30 instances.) I don't know if it is a "rule" but there has never been a problem for me. The PNR's are not "merged" but are "linked" so that if one is accessed the other is also shown. If I am NOT on the same return flight, she has to pay for MCE.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You cannot "merge" separate reservations onto the same PNR. As noted above, if they are booked separately, the only available option is to link them.
NYC Flyer, JDiver and Often1 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Since it sounds like the OP has not booked yet, I will reiterate the above advice that miles from one account be used to pay for the outbound tickets, and the second account for the inbound tickets. That way you have one reservation and PNR for the outbound trip and one different PNR for the return. Since the elite member will be on the reservation, there will be no hassle in getting MCE seats for both of you.

AA awards are priced as one-way tickets anyway so there will be no additional cost by booking as two one way trips instead of two separate round trips.
NYC Flyer, Often1 and JPG3392 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All "linking" does is place a note in the remarks section of each passenger's PNR advising anybody who actually reviews the notes that there is another passenger traveling. It is of no value if an agent decides to apply the MCE status rules. If you decide for some reason not to use the logical solution, e.g. booking both tickets into a single PNR in each direction, simple call AA and ask to have the MCE seat assignments handled as a courtesy. It is close to unheard of for AA not to do this, but given that you haven't booked yet, it's also easily avoided.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by LBJ
You cannot "merge" separate reservations onto the same PNR. As noted above, if they are booked separately, the only available option is to link them.
PNRs can not be merged or linked. The only thing that can de done, which might work in case of IROPS, is to ad a TCP note in the OSI field. That wouldn’t accomplish what the OP wants, but being his travel companion would. See FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread)

But others have recommended getting two awards from one account outbound, inbound from the other account - if desired (as they’re all one way awards, it’s easy to do and has practical reasons to boot).
MarkY123 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.