Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread)

Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
FAQ: "Linking" or Combining of Separate PNRs / Itineraries / Tickets

Q. Can we have our bookings / reservations / awards merged to have them on the same PNR?
A. No; it's generally not possible unless you cancel what you have and get it all done on one PNR. Some agents may be able to merge PNRs if one has contiguous paid and award tickets on hold.

Q. Can I have separate PNRs merged so I can Through-check baggage? No. And with separate PNRs, baggage can not be through-checked.

Q. Can I have PNRs linked so status benefits can be shared?
No. But notes can be added to the OSI field, and status “linking” can occur for upgrades, etc.

Q. Can I "link" my partner's and my PNRs (so we can sit together, stay together in OSO / IROPS, check luggage through, etc.)?
A. "Linking" (or combining) PNRs is not actually possible. There is no way of establishing a "hard" electronic link between PNRs.

Q. What can the airline do in this regard?
A, Requesting "linking PNRs" causes a note to be entered into the PNR OSI (Other Service Information) field (usually a TCP (To Complete Party) note). There is no physical or other actual connection to one's PNR; the field must be read by an airline agent for requested actions to be implemented. (See hillrider's post #9 and link below.)

Q. How can that help?
A. In case of OSO (IROPS/IRROPS) an agent can read the reference and work to keep the parties together when reaccommodating in OSO.

GLOSSARY (specifically for airline use)[/color]
  • IROPS / IRROPS: Irregular Operations - see OSO
  • OSI: Other Supplementary / Service Information- PNR field for supplemental information; low-priority messages usually used for information purpose only.
  • OSO: Off Schedule Operations - when schedules are disrupted by various factors
  • PNR: itinerary reference "handle", six letters with AA; temporary, as PNRs recycle - only ticket numbers are permanent
  • TCP: To Complete Party - a note indicating passenger is traveling with another, etc.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread)

Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA is pretty much alone in protecting across its own tickets as well as to & from OW. PNR's aren't really relevant at all for this protection.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by dbthebolt
Hi all, I have a trip from BDA to LAS on 3 seperate tickets. BDA-JFK, JFK-LAX, LAX-LAS. Each has its own PNR. Any way of linking them or getting AA to do it in case of IRROPS? Any help much appreciated.
Not always.

I booked my DFW-CLT-BNC ticket through Business Extra and my wife's ticket through the AMEX travel website. AA was not able to combine to one PNR. They did, however, cross-reference each ticket in the remarks section that we are traveling together.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by txpenny
Not always.

I booked my DFW-CLT-BNC ticket through Business Extra and my wife's ticket through the AMEX travel website. AA was not able to combine to one PNR. They did, however, cross-reference each ticket in the remarks section that we are traveling together.
This is a different situation of 2 passengers and "linking" PNRs. The OP was inquiring about having multiple tickets for themselves.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by txpenny
Not always.

It is not the same situation and merely done by AA as a courtesy. It does not change any aspect of your travel and is possibly helpful in the situation where your traveling companion does not speak English or requires your assistance to interact with AA.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
It is not the same situation and merely done by AA as a courtesy. It does not change any aspect of your travel and is possibly helpful in the situation where your traveling companion does not speak English or requires your assistance to interact with AA.
one caveat - it does allow the lower status pax to inherit the higher status benefits. When my mother and I flew together, despite being on separate PNRs, she was able to select MCE for free and was up near the top of the upgrade list with my status.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dbthebolt
Hi all, I have a trip from BDA to LAS on 3 seperate tickets. BDA-JFK, JFK-LAX, LAX-LAS. Each has its own PNR. Any way of linking them or getting AA to do it in case of IRROPS? Any help much appreciated.
Read the Wikipost at the top of the page. You could have an agent add your itineraries in the OSI fields of your PNRs, though I’m not sure this would be of actual help, given AA will protect you anyway.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:07 am

Linking two itineraries

Hi Flyertalkers....I am flying on an AA Award flight BNE to LAX on their partner Qantas(AA miles on Qantas Metal)...Then continuing on from LAX to ALB an AA "Paid" flight(AA Metal) ...as I could not get an award for LAX To ALB.... The BNE/LAX flight is one PNR, the paid LAX/ALB flights is a separate PNR, My Question is, can I get these two interaries somehow linked so when I check in at Brisbane my luggage will get checked all the way through to my final destination(ALB)??
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
No since its seperate PNR

https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...d-baggage.html
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
You have to pick up your bags after clearing immigration at LAX and then drop them off again anyhow, so no big deal.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
Yes, since BNE LAX is an award. From the link above, at the very bottom
https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...-united-states
Exemptions apply for customers travelling on a oneworld separate PNRs when using a combination of award travel and revenue travel. Note: This is a Qantas exemption and may not be supported by all oneworld airlines.
* Provided Qantas Interline and Inter-Airline Through Check-in (IATCI) agreements exist.
Anyway as LAX is your port of entry to USA, you have process USA immigration & customs with all your carry-on & checked bags. Then bag drop for the next flight.

Great Circle Mapper
JDiver and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by OKImready
Hi Flyertalkers....I am flying on an AA Award flight BNE to LAX on their partner Qantas(AA miles on Qantas Metal)...Then continuing on from LAX to ALB an AA "Paid" flight(AA Metal) ...as I could not get an award for LAX To ALB.... The BNE/LAX flight is one PNR, the paid LAX/ALB flights is a separate PNR, My Question is, can I get these two interaries somehow linked so when I check in at Brisbane my luggage will get checked all the way through to my final destination(ALB)??
you cannot check your luggage they as others have said.
But you are still protected under AA rules if you are connected to/from OneWorld. If you miss your connection they will simply rebook you to your final destination at no charge (if MCT was met for your original flights)
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:07 pm

Well.... I called AA.and seemed to answer my own question...... with two separate PNR's Qantas will not check the bags thru or .. or issue boarding passes for my final leg of the trip....I will have to collect my bags and got to AA's terminal, check in bags and get boarding passes... I have a 5 hour connection time....so shouldn't be a problem.... Thanks for all your replies!!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:08 pm

Well.... I called AA.and seemed to answer my own question...... with two separate PNR's Qantas will not check the bags thru or .. or issue boarding passes for my final leg of the trip....I will have to collect my bags and got to AA's terminal, check in bags and get boarding passes... I have a 5 hour connection time....so shouldn't be a problem....
you can check in online using AA mobile app and just drop your bags at t4 or t5 at lax.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Well.... I called AA.and seemed to answer my own question...... with two separate PNR's Qantas will not check the bags thru or .. or issue boarding passes for my final leg of the trip....I will have to collect my bags and got to AA's terminal, check in bags and get boarding passes... I have a 5 hour connection time....so shouldn't be a problem.... Thanks for all your replies!!
As has been explained, they wouldn't have checked them through anyway. You are required to claim them at LAX to go through customs.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by justhere
As has been explained, they wouldn't have checked them through anyway. You are required to claim them at LAX to go through customs.
This is incorrect. But, it will not make that much difference on a 5-hour transfer.

If on the same ticket, QF would have checked the bags through to ALB. You would nontheless have claimed the bags at LAX, dragged them through CBP and then dropped them immediately after CBP with AA. No need to recheck as they would already have been checked in.

In OP's case, he will need to drag the bags to AA check-in (and pay any applicable baggage fees).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.