Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread)

Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
FAQ: "Linking" or Combining of Separate PNRs / Itineraries / Tickets

Q. Can we have our bookings / reservations / awards merged to have them on the same PNR?
A. No; it's generally not possible unless you cancel what you have and get it all done on one PNR. Some agents may be able to merge PNRs if one has contiguous paid and award tickets on hold.

Q. Can I have separate PNRs merged so I can Through-check baggage? No. And with separate PNRs, baggage can not be through-checked.

Q. Can I have PNRs linked so status benefits can be shared?
No. But notes can be added to the OSI field, and status “linking” can occur for upgrades, etc.

Q. Can I "link" my partner's and my PNRs (so we can sit together, stay together in OSO / IROPS, check luggage through, etc.)?
A. "Linking" (or combining) PNRs is not actually possible. There is no way of establishing a "hard" electronic link between PNRs.

Q. What can the airline do in this regard?
A, Requesting "linking PNRs" causes a note to be entered into the PNR OSI (Other Service Information) field (usually a TCP (To Complete Party) note). There is no physical or other actual connection to one's PNR; the field must be read by an airline agent for requested actions to be implemented. (See hillrider's post #9 and link below.)

Q. How can that help?
A. In case of OSO (IROPS/IRROPS) an agent can read the reference and work to keep the parties together when reaccommodating in OSO.

GLOSSARY (specifically for airline use)[/color]
  • IROPS / IRROPS: Irregular Operations - see OSO
  • OSI: Other Supplementary / Service Information- PNR field for supplemental information; low-priority messages usually used for information purpose only.
  • OSO: Off Schedule Operations - when schedules are disrupted by various factors
  • PNR: itinerary reference "handle", six letters with AA; temporary, as PNRs recycle - only ticket numbers are permanent
  • TCP: To Complete Party - a note indicating passenger is traveling with another, etc.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread)

Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
3 tickets on 2 PNRs

My wife and I are taking her nephew to HNL next year. I plan to buy his ticket with miles and pay for our two tickets. Obviously we will be on separate PNRs. Once ticketed, I will call and have them linked via TCP as I have read above. Is there anything else I should do or know before proceeding? Thanks.

[Not that it impacts the decision, but I am buying the two tickets to get EQD and EQM towards status. The nephew does not need status so using miles for him.]
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Linking PNRs for IRROPS?

My wife and I are reluctantly traveling over the Thanksgiving weekend for the first time (we usually host). We are on the same flights in F both ways but had to book on separate PNRs. I'm PP and she has no status. If I link our PNRs, will it help in the event of IRROPS for her to be linked to me? Any other reason to link or not to link the PNRs?

Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
My wife and I are reluctantly traveling over the Thanksgiving weekend for the first time (we usually host). We are on the same flights in F both ways but had to book on separate PNRs. I'm PP and she has no status. If I link our PNRs, will it help in the event of IRROPS for her to be linked to me? Any other reason to link or not to link the PNRs?

Thanks!
There's no such thing as linking PNRs, common misconception around here. At most you could call AA and have them put a note in your PNRs that you're traveling with a companion, but this generally makes no difference. If irrops were to occur and you were to get auto rebooked, AA's computers are not going to read the PNR notes. In other cases where you might be talking to an airport or phone AAgent to get rebooked, well you can just tell them upfront you're traveling with your wife. In both scenarios youre going to need to talk to someone and putting a note in the PNR isn't going to make any difference.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by HofstraJet

Thanks!
Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page; in your instance you're basically limited to adding TCP notes to the PNRs. Those can be useful during IROPS / OSO as long as an agent reads one or the other PNR OSI field. I'd do it.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page; in your instance you're basically limited to adding TCP notes to the PNRs. Those can be useful during IROPS / OSO as long as an agent reads one or the other PNR OSI field. I'd do it.
Thanks, JDiver. Not sure why my search didn't find this thread. End user error, for sure.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Joining Records

I'm sure this is answered somewhere and if someone just wants to point me there, I'd appreciate it.

I'm Gold on AA. I expect to book a flight later this week, possibly within 24 hours of departure, and of course I can get MCE for free. I might take a friend with me on a mileage award; my ticket will be paid. After booking her ticket, can I add her record to mine and get her MCE for free?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by redtop43
I'm sure this is answered somewhere and if someone just wants to point me there, I'd appreciate it.

I'm Gold on AA. I expect to book a flight later this week, possibly within 24 hours of departure, and of course I can get MCE for free. I might take a friend with me on a mileage award; my ticket will be paid. After booking her ticket, can I add her record to mine and get her MCE for free?
The best thing to do is to book both of you one way in cash and the other way on miles. That way you will both be on the same record for both legs.

I am almost certain an agent isn't going to be able to combine two separate records.
MathMusic likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:11 pm

In the past (several years ago) I have been successful in calling and saying "This person is traveling with us...could you please move him up next to us?" It may be that the policy has changed now that AA has become USAir.

Also, I am Plat...since Gold can "get MCE for free" only within 24 hours (assuming any seats are left), it may also follow that they don't get special favors.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I've had success this year calling in at T-24 and getting companions on different records moved to MCE. You may have to HUCA.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You cannot add her to your record, but all you need to do is call AA and they can seat you together in MCE.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Twitter is good for these types of requests too
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Please read the Wikipost in this master thread about “linking”records; you may declare another passenger as a “traveling companion” for certain purposes, but there is no way to truly link or merge PNRs.

/Moderator
Old May 15, 2018, 8:20 am

Sorry if I’ve missed this in the preceding 9 pages-is the inability to join separate PNRs into one a software limitation, a business decision or something else?
Old May 15, 2018, 10:18 am

Might be a lame question, but here goes anyway. My question isn't about "connecting" multiple passengers on the same itinerary, rather it is about "connecting" the same passenger on multiple itineraries (for purposes of IRROPS/cancellation protection, etc.).

Single passenger traveling on below OW segments; no checked bags, same-day connections.

AA LAX-HKG - revenue fare
CX HKG-ICN - BA award
QR ICN-DOH - revenue fare

Any opportunity here?

Last edited by pmblinn; May 15, 2018 at 10:18 am Reason: spelling
Old May 15, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmblinn
Might be a lame question, but here goes anyway. My question isn't about "connecting" multiple passengers on the same itinerary, rather it is about "connecting" the same passenger on multiple itineraries (for purposes of IRROPS/cancellation protection, etc.).

Single passenger traveling on below OW segments; no checked bags, same-day connections.

AA LAX-HKG - revenue fare
CX HKG-ICN - BA award
QR ICN-DOH - revenue fare

Any opportunity here?
Since you only have one flight on AA, there's not much you can do other than have AA add a note in your AA record that you are connecting in HKG to a CX flight on a separate ticket. This will do nothing and isn't even worth the time on the phone with AA.

AA will protect you in separate ticket situations, but whether or not you have a note in your PNR has no bearing on the situation.

How much time do you have in HKG before your flight to ICN? If your LAX-HKG flight starts getting delayed to the point where you might miss the HKG-ICN flight, you need to work with the AA AAgents at LAX to see about getting rebooked straight to ICN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.