Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Note: this Wikipost is a quick summary of what dcpatti put together in post 1, on page 1 of this thread. Feel free to make changes to this post, or PM aztimm, if you find something incorrect or needs more detail.

Shuttles are the nonstop flights between DCA (DC-Washington National), LGA (NY-LaGuardia) and BOS (Boston-Logan).

What's different about the shuttle?
You'll get an early morning snack on departures before 9 am, and free beer or wine in coach all day long. First Class refreshments are similar to other US flights of a similar length.

I heard some stuff about not being able to pre-assign seats.

The Shuttle used to work a little differently to other flights but has recently changed to using the same pre-assigned seating as all other flights. You should be able to select your seat at the time of booking now. In addition the Shuttle is no longer open-seating, instead it follows the normal US seating procedures with varying charges for ChoiceSeats. As with other flights these seats are not available for free at T-24.

What about upgrades?
They'll work just like regular flights, with the first comp upgrades being given at the 7-day Chairmans window. Upgrade seats will be available for non-elites at check-in or by calling at 24-hours before the flight.

I heard they have weird ideas on boarding.
NOTE: In addition to what is below, GalleyWench posted the following (post #91 on 5/12/13):
just read that starting May 22nd the shuttle will start boarding like mainline, no more front to back. Will try to get the specifics in the next couple days.
The Shuttle flights don't board by zone even if there's one on the boarding pass. You'll find a ton of elites on these flights, and if most of the plane holds Zone 1 or 2, then boarding doesn't go very fast. So they revert to the old-school boarding by rows. Folks who need assistance first, then First Class, then the last rows of the plane, working forward to the front.

I heard they have weird ideas on deplaning, too.
In some cases, they will deplane Shuttle flights from both the front aircraft door via jetway and the rear aircraft door via stairs.

Anything else that's different?
In NYC-LaGuardia you'll exit the terminal through a different exit, in the center of the gate area and down a flight of stairs. You'll be on the curb in about 4 minutes.

Can I go home early?
Sure. With the exception of the very peak travel times, you can usually get a seat on an earlier Shuttle. US charges a $50 fee for a confirmed stand-by for an earlier flight. This fee is waived for Elites and for certain passengers on full-fare Y/B tickets.

Can I go home late?
Technically, US Airways does not offer any accommodations to those who "miss" a flight; if you want to change into a later flight with a confirmed seat, you'll need to pay the change fee plus any fare difference. But in many cases, passengers who are tardy for their flights are re-ticketed onto the next available flight as a courtesy.

Where are my gates?
  • At BOS, you'll be at Gates B16-B19.
  • At LGA, you'll be at Gates C17-C22.
  • At DCA, you'll be at Gates 41-44 (North Pier/C Concourse)

Can I hang out in a club or lounge?
Each airport has a US Airways Club and an Admirals Club. Your US Club membership (annual or 30-day) will allow you access to any of these, but US day passes will only work at US-branded clubs. Note that not all Admirals Clubs are easily accessible from US-operated gates.

Club locations:
  • At BOS (map)
    • US Club in Terminal B, between security checkpoint and Gate B4.
    • Admirals Club in Terminal B, near Gate B30 next to Swatch store (requires lengthy walk airside through UA concourse).
  • At LGA (map)
    • US Club in Terminal C, next to Gate C28.
    • Admirals Club in Concourse D, near Gates D1-D2 (requires landside connection, with boarding or gate pass).
  • At DCA (map)
    • US Club in the North Pier/C Concourse, Mezzanine level.
    • Admirals Club in the Central Pier/B Concourse, Mezzanine level (airside shuttle bus service available).

Anything else I need to know?
Taxi fare from LGA to Midtown Manhattan will be $30-40 depending on traffic and route; DCA to downtown DC/ K Street area will be about $20; and BOS to downtown Boston will be about $30. There are public transport options as well.

There is a separate Shuttle baggage claim and check-in desk at LGA and separate kiosks at DCA. Separate Shuttle check-in desk at DCA is located downstairs near Security. There is supposed to be a separate security lane for Shuttle at DCA but it's almost never open. Passengers can also check in at regular US Airways kiosks and counters.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,

Moderator Note: dcpatti was kind enough to create this thread at the request of the moderators back in a day before we had wiki's enabled on FlyerTalk. We greatly appreciate the thorough and helpful information she created for the benefit of all of us. Her content has now been moved to the wiki so that it can be updated and kept current by the community.

-AZ

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Aug 9, 2014 at 1:06 pm
Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marr Plat, Natl Elite, AMEX Plat, AA PP
Thanks so much for that post! It's really good info.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Great post and fantastic summary.

Minor comments:
The Boston MBTA website is incorrect.

Might want to add that the car service is $55 for the LGA service. You might want to lower the LGA cab estimates slightly. $35 to Midtown East w/ tax and tip is easily doable. LGA also has express busses to the city - NY Airport Service and NYC airporter, although NYAS is on a downward slide since the contract loss. BOS cab fare seems high as well, it's very accessible to the city via the Ted Williams Tunnel to the financial district and the Sumner/Callahan tunnels to Back Bay. $20-$30 would be my range.

I would consider removing the UA RCC and CO PC comments. I can't imagine any passenger using it. At LGA and BOS, there are airside clubs that are a hike from the shuttle gates. The RCC and PC are in separate terminals. At DC the US Club is at the shuttle gate entrance and is much more convenient than trying to use another lounge.

Might worth mentioning the Bloomberg terminals, lounge chairs and working areas at LGA.

For connections at LGA: PIT and CLT usually together with the shuttle gates. non-E170 express is in the other concourse (which is a hike). At BOS, I've seen CLT and PHL at the shuttle gate area. West and Express are always in the main part of the terminal.

At BOS - separate shuttle check-in and security. Might also worth noting the "corporate check-in" at both BOS / DCA. (i don't recall if LGA had it. I should know this, but typically use the first class check-in and line)

Drinks are served from the rear in coach.

Lack of pillows and blankets in first on shuttle flights.

Might worth noting the difference of the US Airways Shuttle vs. the Delta Shuttle. (US advantages: all mainline, first class on every flight, assigned seating). DL advantages: Marine air terminal which is closer to the city (but also lacks amenities)
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
^ Thanks dcpatti for putting this together!!! ^

I'll add it to the threads in the sticky at the top of the forum.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Worth noting that Shuttle is a business product aimed at high-volume business travellers. It is brutally expensive absent a negotiated corporate discount or the very occasional fare sale and there are plenty of people willing to pay the walk-up fare. With an improving economy (more business travel) and rising fuel prices, fares will go up through the summer. Alternatives for leisure or business travellers on a budget (all discussed elsewhere, so no details hee): Amtrak (2 hrs. 50 mins on Acela, 3:15 on Regional); Jet Blue: IAD-JFK and various other routes out of BWI).

The Shuttle is exactly what it is called, a Shuttle. 35 mins wheels up to wheels down from DCA to LGA. No lie-flat sleeper suites or lobster thermidor, but a quick and efficient vehicle to get you to your meeting or back home.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by dcpatti
If someone could help me out with these details for BOS, that would be fantastic-- I know what the website says but want to hear from someone who's been there recently!
At BOS there is a separate check-in counter (with kiosks) just for the shuttle flights. There's also a separate security line for the shuttle gates, although as you mention those gates also serve some other mainline flights.

Overall, great summary! Might want to say a bit about checked bags -- I have always been confused about whether you can check bags for shuttle flights at the regular counters. Sometimes the regular counter at BOS takes the bags, but sometimes they direct me down to the Shuttle counter. I have even seen employees roll bags from the main counter down to the shuttle counter -- are the conveyor belts really not connected?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Worth noting that Shuttle is a business product aimed at high-volume business travellers. It is brutally expensive absent a negotiated corporate discount or the very occasional fare sale and there are plenty of people willing to pay the walk-up fare. With an improving economy (more business travel) and rising fuel prices, fares will go up through the summer. Alternatives for leisure or business travellers on a budget (all discussed elsewhere, so no details hee): Amtrak (2 hrs. 50 mins on Acela, 3:15 on Regional); Jet Blue: IAD-JFK and various other routes out of BWI).
That may be true for the LGA shuttle, but the DCA-BOS shuttle can be very affordable. 14- or 21-day advance purchase can get you a seat for about $65-$85 one-way. Not bad! This has been true since about November 20101, when B6 entered the nonstop DCA-BOS market.

Also, although there are other flight alternatives between DC and Boston (B6 out of DCA, and many others out of BWI and IAD), Amtrak between DC and Boston is a long journey.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Thanks for the clarificaitons and suggestions. I've incorporated some and will incorporate some more a little later today.

On the blankets and pillows --- these are so hit-or miss-- I do occasionally see them on the Shuttle, and I frequently do not see them on other short Mainline flights, so we can just leave that one as YMMV.

Also leaving in the bit about the RCC's; I know a few folks who don't mind a hike and a second trip through Security if the reward is free liquor drinks

Financially, Amtrak is often a cheaper option than flying between DC and NY, but I consistently have issues on Amtrak. Especially in the summer, when trains have to keep lower speeds and break down more often due to the heat. I've had the 3.5 hour journey sometimes take 7 hours on the train; at least US has another plane leaving in an hour so if this one breaks, you get on the next one. If the planes flew to Penn Station and Amtrak went to LGA I'd never, ever take Amtrak; usually if I need to go to NYC, I book a refundable Amtrak ticket in advance, and wait to see if the airfares come down. You can actually get some good deals between DCA and LGA especially on the weekends, if you wait till the weekly e-savers come out.

Amtrak DC-Boston would just be brutal.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 5:36 pm

In Boston there is indeed a separate security line for the shuttle gates. However it rarely has a separate first class line, and depending on the timing can have a long line. If that happens (and particularly if you are entitled to use the first class line) you are better off turning around, walking down the concourse to the regular US checkpoint and going through there. Once through security, make a u-turn to the left, do not go downstairs, but follow the hallway to the side back to the shuttle gates. If you want to stop by the US club it is also just past this security checkpoint.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:54 pm

Just a side note on the blankets and pillows...they are available on every flight. If you don't see them on the seats just ask for one. Lots of f/a's, myself included, bag them up and store them in the back of the closet. Too many of them are "walking" to the back of the airplane from people in Y grabbing them off of the seats and personally I think it's tacky to have to chase them down and take them back. It's just easier to do "out of sight, out of mind". Just ask, I can guarantee they're probably there some place.
One other note...the only snacks available in Y are the granola in the morning. None of the Market Place snacks or meals are ever available on the shuttle. Also as mentioned before, there are no mixed drinks in Y. We offer complimentary beer and wine after 10 a.m.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I think it's also important to note that DL does not brand DCA-BOS nonstops as Shuttle flights. Currently, US operates the only real "Shuttle" service between the two cities.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by ericcheung
Great post and fantastic summary.

At BOS, I've seen CLT and PHL at the shuttle gate area. West and Express are always in the main part of the terminal.
Interesting. I've never once seen CLT or PHL flights leave from the Shuttle gate area. PHL (including the FastPath operation, when it was still being promoted) always departed from the gates closest to the Club in the main terminal. I have consistently seen PHX and LAS flights leave from the last two gates at the end of the Shuttle terminal. I've been on the 5 and 6 PM BOS-DCA flights many times and there's always a ton of LAS pax in the security line (as I believe the LAS flight usually departs at 6:00 PM). YMMV, I suppose.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:06 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by dcpatti
How's it different from the Delta shuttle?

Delta Shuttle routes also include ORD-LGA; the Delta shuttle is primarily serviced by E175 aircraft but some routes (LGA-BOS) are on A319. The DL A319 on the Shuttle routes, more often than not, has wi-fi service for a fee. Delta Shuttle does not have a first class cabin and does not offer pre-assigned seating. The US shuttle is a mainline flight while the DL shuttle is operated by Shuttle America. At LGA, the DL shuttle lands at the Marine Air Terminal.
All flights that are designated as DL Shuttle have a FC cabin and all DL planes including DLCNX will have wifi by the end of this year.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:23 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Interesting. I've never once seen CLT or PHL flights leave from the Shuttle gate area. PHL (including the FastPath operation, when it was still being promoted) always departed from the gates closest to the Club in the main terminal. I have consistently seen PHX and LAS flights leave from the last two gates at the end of the Shuttle terminal. I've been on the 5 and 6 PM BOS-DCA flights many times and there's always a ton of LAS pax in the security line (as I believe the LAS flight usually departs at 6:00 PM). YMMV, I suppose.
Every once in a while, the first CLT or PHL flight of the day (5am and 5:30am respectively) will leave out of the Shuttle terminal. Same goes for PHX and LAS flights - I just saw a PHX flight board from B4 the other day. It's definitely the exception, and not the norm. I think this generally happens when there's an operational or logistical hiccup.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
What about non-refundable F availability?

I am NYC based and need to earn a few AirNZ airpoints dollars (54 to be exact) rather quickly to requalify for NZ gold. I can do this by flying numerous shorthaul discount coach sectors at 15-25 APD per sector, or one short F class sector (60APD).

A few weeks ago, I noticed that US had a published discount F fare for LGA-BOS of $400 or $200 one way, which was perfect for me, and there seemed to be good availability on any day I looked. However, when I went to book it a few days ago, the far no longer seems to exist and the 'First: non-refundable' column has zero availability for any date, no matter how far into the future.

Was the $400 round trip fare I found just a temporary promo? Or is US likely to be reintroducing cheaper F on these flights?

Alternatively, is there any other booking method which might still have access to those cheap fares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.