Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Note: this Wikipost is a quick summary of what dcpatti put together in post 1, on page 1 of this thread. Feel free to make changes to this post, or PM aztimm, if you find something incorrect or needs more detail.

Shuttles are the nonstop flights between DCA (DC-Washington National), LGA (NY-LaGuardia) and BOS (Boston-Logan).

What's different about the shuttle?
You'll get an early morning snack on departures before 9 am, and free beer or wine in coach all day long. First Class refreshments are similar to other US flights of a similar length.

I heard some stuff about not being able to pre-assign seats.

The Shuttle used to work a little differently to other flights but has recently changed to using the same pre-assigned seating as all other flights. You should be able to select your seat at the time of booking now. In addition the Shuttle is no longer open-seating, instead it follows the normal US seating procedures with varying charges for ChoiceSeats. As with other flights these seats are not available for free at T-24.

What about upgrades?
They'll work just like regular flights, with the first comp upgrades being given at the 7-day Chairmans window. Upgrade seats will be available for non-elites at check-in or by calling at 24-hours before the flight.

I heard they have weird ideas on boarding.
NOTE: In addition to what is below, GalleyWench posted the following (post #91 on 5/12/13):
just read that starting May 22nd the shuttle will start boarding like mainline, no more front to back. Will try to get the specifics in the next couple days.
The Shuttle flights don't board by zone even if there's one on the boarding pass. You'll find a ton of elites on these flights, and if most of the plane holds Zone 1 or 2, then boarding doesn't go very fast. So they revert to the old-school boarding by rows. Folks who need assistance first, then First Class, then the last rows of the plane, working forward to the front.

I heard they have weird ideas on deplaning, too.
In some cases, they will deplane Shuttle flights from both the front aircraft door via jetway and the rear aircraft door via stairs.

Anything else that's different?
In NYC-LaGuardia you'll exit the terminal through a different exit, in the center of the gate area and down a flight of stairs. You'll be on the curb in about 4 minutes.

Can I go home early?
Sure. With the exception of the very peak travel times, you can usually get a seat on an earlier Shuttle. US charges a $50 fee for a confirmed stand-by for an earlier flight. This fee is waived for Elites and for certain passengers on full-fare Y/B tickets.

Can I go home late?
Technically, US Airways does not offer any accommodations to those who "miss" a flight; if you want to change into a later flight with a confirmed seat, you'll need to pay the change fee plus any fare difference. But in many cases, passengers who are tardy for their flights are re-ticketed onto the next available flight as a courtesy.

Where are my gates?
  • At BOS, you'll be at Gates B16-B19.
  • At LGA, you'll be at Gates C17-C22.
  • At DCA, you'll be at Gates 41-44 (North Pier/C Concourse)

Can I hang out in a club or lounge?
Each airport has a US Airways Club and an Admirals Club. Your US Club membership (annual or 30-day) will allow you access to any of these, but US day passes will only work at US-branded clubs. Note that not all Admirals Clubs are easily accessible from US-operated gates.

Club locations:
  • At BOS (map)
    • US Club in Terminal B, between security checkpoint and Gate B4.
    • Admirals Club in Terminal B, near Gate B30 next to Swatch store (requires lengthy walk airside through UA concourse).
  • At LGA (map)
    • US Club in Terminal C, next to Gate C28.
    • Admirals Club in Concourse D, near Gates D1-D2 (requires landside connection, with boarding or gate pass).
  • At DCA (map)
    • US Club in the North Pier/C Concourse, Mezzanine level.
    • Admirals Club in the Central Pier/B Concourse, Mezzanine level (airside shuttle bus service available).

Anything else I need to know?
Taxi fare from LGA to Midtown Manhattan will be $30-40 depending on traffic and route; DCA to downtown DC/ K Street area will be about $20; and BOS to downtown Boston will be about $30. There are public transport options as well.

There is a separate Shuttle baggage claim and check-in desk at LGA and separate kiosks at DCA. Separate Shuttle check-in desk at DCA is located downstairs near Security. There is supposed to be a separate security lane for Shuttle at DCA but it's almost never open. Passengers can also check in at regular US Airways kiosks and counters.
Print Wikipost

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
AA Shuttle reducing its schedule?

What's going on with the AA Shuttle? I'm seeing nowhere near the hourly schedule I'm used to for flights in January. For instance, on January 5, i only see two flights from DCA to LGA, one at 7am and one at 4pm.

Is this related to the construction at LGA, or is it a permanent thing?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dml105
What's going on with the AA Shuttle? I'm seeing nowhere near the hourly schedule I'm used to for flights in January. For instance, on January 5, i only see two flights from DCA to LGA, one at 7am and one at 4pm.

Did you check other dates? Hourly flights show for January 8, so it doesn't appear to be permanent.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dickinson
Did you check other dates? Hourly flights show for January 8, so it doesn't appear to be permanent.
Interesting. I checked some other dates, and saw reduced schedules, but I do see the hourly flights on January 8 like you say. I had looked on January 15 as well, but realize that is holiday scheduling.

Bummer. I need to fly on January 5.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Interesting. I checked some other dates, and saw reduced schedules, but I do see the hourly flights on January 8 like you say. I had looked on January 15 as well, but realize that is holiday scheduling.

Bummer. I need to fly on January 5.
delta usually has at least 4 flights a day on holidays
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P

They expect travel to be low the week of the NY, which is annoying for me as I will be going to Boston. The return on Thursday is either 1 or 6 pm, grrrr.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Another odd thing is the 8 p.m departure from BOS to DCA going forward will be at 8:15 p.m. So 7, 8:15, and 9 p.m.

I can see why this might make sense on days without a 9 p.m. departure (just as the last two flights from DC to Boston are at 9 and 10 p.m., even though every other flight is on the half-hour). But a bit puzzling that one leaves at 8:15, when the next leaves at 9 p.m.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
AA Shuttle being added to LGA-ORD-LGA

https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...LaGuardia.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.